I’m Trying Ringo…

I consider myself a pretty patient person who doesn’t get angry often. In fact, the one or two things that really get under my skin relate to matters of disrespect.  It’s been a pet peeve of mine for as long as I can remember and the one thing that will cause me to say something I should probably keep to myself. But sometimes, that’s just not possible.

I have tried not to watch the news very much, as it relates to the coronavirus and believe little of what I might read on social media. Everyone seems to have their own agenda, which shouldn’t surprise anyone. Facts are distorted or adjusted to meet individual agendas or platforms and what should be a coming together for the greater good of everyone has deteriorated into politics at its worst. It was disheartening a couple of months ago. I don’t know what word  I can use to describe it today.

But I’m getting real angry, and that’s a place I rarely allow myself to go. It’s even more rare when I stay there. In fact, I’ve stayed away from writing anything on here because I didn’t want to write about the virus or have it come off as a political statement. I’m pretty much sick of seeing or hearing about it every day. But I originally created this blog to be able to express what I felt regardless of what anyone else thinks. So why not throw down some thoughts. People can always hit the delete button.

Here in New Jersey and in neighboring New York, we’ve been pretty much locked down for almost four months. For the most part,  people here have done what was asked and the numbers reflect their efforts. In the last two weeks, things have begun to slowly open up and when they did there were two or three instances where bars/restaurants didn’t follow specific guidelines relating to crowds so the governor, seeing what happened in other states, pulled back anticipated openings. I have no problem with that except the greater majority was, once again, penalized for the stupidity and irresponsibility of idiots. An example of disrespect.

As I was sitting home all this time, I’ve had to read or view reports of people around the country who were upset because they were shut down for five minutes. People who refuse to simply wear a mask because they feel it infringes on their rights. People attending indoor rallies without masks to cheer for, encourage and stroke the ego of their leader, who, naturally also refuses to wear a mask. I’ve had to listen to state and local politicians who act like lemmings and play follow the leader, choosing to ignore the experts, data, stories of those who became sick and agony of the families who couldn’t be with their loved ones when the died fighting for breath. I’ve watched large groups of people, old enough to know better, play Russian roulette with their lives, just for a few drinks and a night out. But when your supposed leaders set the wrong example this type of behavior is inevitable. An example of disrespect.

There was a story the other day explaining how students in Alabama were having Covid parties. Apparently at least one person in attendance had to knowingly be infected.  When other guests arrived money would be placed into a pot and whomever got the virus first after attending the party, won the money. I didn’t wan to believe that people could be that stupid but authorities in Alabama have not yet refuted the story and in fact confirmed that some young people have confirmed the reports.

Yesterday I watched a video from Diamond Lake in Michigan of a large group of young people dancing close together in the water without masks on. The comment attached to it was written by Michael Stets, who said, “We had our chance as a country to get things under control., but ultimately, we were destined to fail. And that’s because the country is filled with reckless people who care about no one but themselves.” Disrespect.

It’s depressing to think that way, isn’t it? Depressing to think that, after all the images we’ve seen of  bodies stacked up inside refrigerator trailers, overcrowded hospital wards, pleads from health care workers, warnings from families who have lost so much and advice from some of the best minds in the country, we find that the simple task of wearing a face mask, keeping your distance and following specific guidelines for the welfare of everyone is too much to ask. Disrespect.

Instead,  leaders decided to open it all up because five minutes of inconvenience was too much to ask. Let’s ignore the deaths. That’s a small price to pay for a haircut, massage,  spay tan or a meal  that couldn’t be made at home. What’s a few more deaths when you can pack into a club to drink with your friends or go to the gym or grab a movie instead of watching one at home. The leaders will tell you they’re doing it for the business but let’s not kid ourselves, they’re doing it for the vote. Lives be damned. Four or six more years is what’s most important followed by money, depending on what side of the equation you’re on. Disrespect

I’m afraid it’s too late now. If we had a leader who led by example, if we  came together as a country four months ago and decided that, collectively, we would all do the right thing and sacrifice the materialistic things in life so we can all have a life, then we wouldn’t be where we are today. Disrespect.

I’d like to believe in a different outcome but it’s getting harder to get there. I’m reminded of the of words of Samuel Jackson in the movie Pulp Fiction. “I’m trying Ringo. I’m tying real hard to be the Shepherd.”

Unfortunately for all of us, a large segment of the flock is headed in a different direction.

85 thoughts on “I’m Trying Ringo…

Absolutely and that’s what so upsetting. All we did the last four months seems like a waste now. There are reports that small spikes are happening again generated by people coming back from other states. It’s frustrating.

1. Sorryless

Damn this is the truth, George. Where a little responsibility AND that respect you were talking about might have pulled us through the worst of this by now, nope . . we seem to revert because God forbid we can’t have our hump day chill time at TGIF!

In the meantime, we have a clueless leader who’s intent on making propaganda videos and spouting about how he’s saved two million lives. Talk about fake news, and yet his minions will follow in lockstep, right off the cliff.

I knew that title sounded familiar, 😉

Great piece.

Thank you, sir. It does seem like the perfect storm sometimes, doesn’t it. And we all know how those end.
      Somehow I knew Pulp Fiction was on your radar..:)

2. quiall

The world is changing and not, I think, for the better. We talk about a new normal. This isn’t normal. This is destructive, fatalistic idiocy and i’m afraid it’s catching on.

I’m afraid the signs are all there for what you describe, though I keep praying we somehow find our way back. I had such hope when this started that it would make us better.

3. Vincent Vega

“The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother’s keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.”

Hope you and yours are safe and well my friend.

George, I can only imagine the frustration you & so many must be feeling. Those who are taking this all very seriously & following recommended guidelines from knowledgeable individuals who actually know what they are talking about. Although we, up here in Canada, seem to be heading in a more positive direction, there are still some who feel the rules do not apply to them.

As far as you leader, i am reminded of a saying a friend of mine often used when baffled by a persons action. You can’t fix stupid!

No, you can’t fix stupid and that seems to fit him perfectly. I understand some people are going to go off on thrown, but if we had a leader who brought people together instead of always trying to divide, it might have made a difference. But we’ll never know.

1. colinandray

Well you do have an election not too far away. Let us all hope that on election day, memories are good enough to reject all the electioneering BS … and vote responsibly.

Let’s hope. I only wish we had two really good choices. Sometimes I think we vote for the lesser of two evils. Hard to imagine in a country this size we can’t do better. But politics is a dirty game and many people prefer not to play and air out their laundry.

2. Joanne Sisco

Even more frightening is that I don’t think Trump is stupid at all. He’s dangerously clever. I believe he will do whatever he deems necessary to accumulate power and wealth, all the while twisting the truth to fool people into believing whatever he wants them to believe.

If people are hurt or destroyed in the process … well, those are the breaks 😕

We should all be very afraid. The damage this man is doing is far-reaching.

5. Helen Devries

How it must have hurt, to be obliged to post this.
    Costa Rica has tried to pull together…the politicians have taken a back seat to the doctors, bureaucracy has gone out of the window…yet still young people, in their sense of immunity, have put us all at risk…not to speak of the influx of Nicaraguans, fleeing their government’s refusal to acknowledge the existance of the illness….
    But in the U,K, as in the U.S., the state has failed the people…..and i feel that nomatter which party is in power he results would have been the same…not pepared, not able to become prepared, as so many state responsibilities are hived out to private enterprises with dubious reords.

It did hurt to post this because I do love this country but I just don’t like how we’ve chosen to disrespect each other. Politics will always be a dirty business and I don’t think anyone could have prepared for this but during these times you need someone who will unite, not divide. It would have made a difference.

So am I… that battle is inevitable. Most people, especially the younger folks don’t really understand it completely. All they understand or hear is the word free.

6. colinandray

“There’s only two things known to man that are thought to be infinite … the universe and human stupidity, although I am not totally convinced about the universe.” attributed to Albert Einstein.

Al was a very smart man and he must have had some knowledge of what we were going to be faced with and how we would handle it. Because this is absurd.

7. murisopsis

I concur with your assessment of this abysmal situation. The pandemic alone was bad but it has been exacerbated by poor (non-existent) leadership and the idiocy of a handful of the populace. My family and close friends are wearing our masks, washing our hands, avoiding the crowds, and spending our time at home. *sigh* Now it is a waiting game…

I agree, the pandemic was enough to deal with. Playing politics, ignorance and disrespect for the person next to you during these times is unconscionable.

1. colinandray

“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover they can vote themselves largess from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising them the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.”

“The average age of the world’s greatest civilizations has been 200 years. These nations have progressed through this sequence:”

“From bondage to spiritual faith;
        from spiritual faith to great courage;
        from courage to liberty;
        from liberty to abundance;
        from abundance to selfishness;
        from selfishness to apathy;
        from apathy to dependence;
        from dependency back again into bondage.”

Above is the Cycle of Democracy courtesy Wrisley.com, and seems very appropriate at this time.

Now that’s interesting. Seems like we are well past our expiration date. Quite honestly, we should have seen this coming. We’ve been sitting in selfishness and apathy for some time now. It’ll be an interesting decade.

8. Margy

You must be upset with the protest rallies too!
    I was under the impression that Covid-19 was being handled on a state by state basis by the Governors (since the April 17 Federal Framework plan for reopening.) That seemed like a wise move because the effects of the virus are quite different from town to town, state to state.

Yes, they are being handled on a state by state basis for the reasons you mention. Unfortunately, state and local leaders have not been on the same page, ignored warnings from experts and states that have experienced the worst, played politics and allowed people to become sick or die for no reason except a vote. And now, those same states, who chose not to listen are paying the price. It’s hard to understand.

1. Margy

It is remarkable how much the World has learned about Covid-19 in just 6 months! I sure wouldn’t have wanted to be a politician – even the experts had to keep updating their recommendations as more data accumulated!

9. oldmainer

I never thought I would be embarrassed to be an American, but often I am because I know we are better then this. Don’t get me started on the lack of respect thing. I have seen that decaying for a long time. But today, it is just another word, not often used and seldom practiced.

I understand your feelings on being embarrassed, something I never thought would happen living in this country. We are supposed to be an example, not a joke to the rest of the world. We had the ability to change the dialogue but we chose not to. Shame on us for being so arrogant and selfish.

Sadly, people have chosen to look at this pandemic only from their own point of view. Those who were already selfish have become more so, and those who usually look out for the common good are sort of joining in. It seems that being right is more important than doing good. I think there are so many reasons for this behavior and some of them are simple and some are very complex. But the bottom line is, unless we pull together, nothing will improve. It’s so sad, and I don’t blame you one bit for being angry. Take care, George!

Thanks, Ann. I guess I’m upset because I know, or at least have always believed, we were better than this. That if something difficult came along we would join together as nation and do what was necessary. I think a large segment of the population has done that. I’ve seen it work here. But there are too many areas and large groups of people that just don’t seem to care about anything but their own self gratification. That’s disturbing and disheartening. I hope those babies are doing well along with your family.

Thanks! They are doing well, and we are so thankful. And I agree, we are better than this. There does seem to be a disturbing trend toward “it’s all about me” and this pandemic has revealed it.

11. cupcakecache

Thanks for saying this. I think this is why I have retreated lately to my journals from the past. They help with my writing. I don’t like to get my husband upset as the news seems to do that and I worry about his health. Many of us understand.

12. JT Twissel

I try not to let anger get the upper hand as I think it’s unhealthy but … people just don’t get it until it happens to them. And then, as you say, it’s too late. The people who understood the danger will have to suffer from the actions of fools. Unfortunately our leader is kind of like the Pied Piper of Death.

I know, I try not to get angry but sometimes it’s just too much to see or hear. The self-serving attitudes are really disheartening. I wish we had a true leader, politics be damned. We just need someone who will unite us, not divide us.

I feel exactly as you do, George. I knew all the selfish people would ruin it for the rest of us who worked so hard to do the right thing. Handling this state by state was a mistake. We needed some federal guidelines and received none. If you place the U.S. over Europe, we are as big and it’s like our states are countries. Countries are able to close their borders, however, all states can do is enact quarantines and hope people will listen. And look where that has gotten us. Regardless of how the virus arrived in our country, once it hit our shores it was our responsibility, the federal government’s and the people’s, to manage it and we have failed miserably. And here we are, number one in cases. The buck always stops at the top.

I couldn’t agree more, Kim. I was really hoping this virus, as terrible as it is, would be a turning point for us as a nation. That we would possibly change our ways a bit and focus on what’s really important. Instead we have this. It’s very sad.

15. Janis @ RetirementallyChallenged.com

Great post, George. You put into words what many of us are thinking. It is incredibly disheartening that we managed to take an agnostic virus and turn it into a political battle. I’m not surprised that so many countries have closed their borders to us… they don’t want to import our brand of stupid.

That’s so true, Janus. Words like disheartening and stupid keep coming up all the time along with irresponsible and selfish. Politics should have never entered into this arena but I guess that was just us being naive. Very sad.

16. Sheila Moss

Some people seem to think they are immune to this virus. I am horrified when I see not only strangers acting irresponsibly but people I know, even relatives, posting pictures of their swimming parties, picnics and vacations with no masks or social distancing. I completely agree with everything you said. Thanks for saying it. As far as criticizing our country, you do it not because you do not love America, but because you do.

Thank you, Sheila. I do love this country very much and in spite of all our flaws I still think this is the best place to live but our attitude here, from our leaders to those who refuse to sacrifice for the greater good has been such a disappointment. I thought we were better than this, that when a national emergency happened we would all join together and help each other through it. Instead self serving attitudes prevailed. It’s hard to watch this all fall apart.

1. Sheila Moss

It seems that many of the problems we thought no longer existed were merely underneath and not visible, but this crisis and the current political climate has exposed our flaws and brought them to the surface. The thing some people do not understand about individual rights is they exist, but only until they begin to infringe on the rights of others.

Excellent post, George. Be good and angry. The disrespect shown by the head of state (I can’t call him a leader as he is so not one) is disgraceful.
    We are faring far better than you are (though Quebec has almost half the cases in all of Canada). It is supposedly being contained though we have our own idiots who are not respecting the recommendations. Just last week a bar a few towns over had a spike in cases and they are trying to find who was there to spread the word and have those present quarantine themselves. My own son is rather cavalier about this situation but you know, at 22, they think they are invincible.
    Pulp Fiction is a perfect movie to choose.

Thank you, Dale. I’ve been watching what’s been happening up north and in other countries and it just adds to my frustration. While there will always be those who don’t follow the rules, other countries, like yours, have joined together for the greater good. Of course most had someone to follow, who unites them. We have someone who creates division so naturally the animosity and anger spills over. I hate when people throw the word freedom around without really understanding what it means for everyone. I hope things get better quickly in Quebec and that you and the boys stay well.

We watch his antics and shake out heads, appalled. He is expert at dividing and hate-mongering (is that even a word?)
        Yes, we are definitely not the worse off and there is more joining together, for sure.
        Freedom and rights – talk about twisting these words for personal benefit.
        Thank you. And you and yours stay safe!

George, I don’t even know what I could say in response to your post, except agreed on all counts. I force myself to try to ignore the daily reports of people’s selfishness and stupidity… I am in a constant state of disbelief. I still can’t believe that is permissible to have someone so stupid, so hateful and narcissistic be POS. I still can’t get my head around it, and the ugliness he has brought out and continues to in people.

I know, Lisa. It’s depressing to see what’s happened to us. I was really hoping this virus would bring out the best of us. I guess I was just being naive or hopeful. When our leadership fails us on every level many just follow and refuse to do what’s right.

19. Ilona Elliott

I feel your anger George. We are in a terrible state in this country. The degree of cognitive dissonance that you have to have to react to something this serious the way that our POTUS and his faithful are doing is mind boggling. God save us from all this ignorance.

20. roughwighting

I understand your frustration and anger and feeling of powerlessness. So many of my friends are in the same condition. I am, or I could be, but just call me Ringo.
    And I’ll admit, I thought you were talking about Ringo the Beatle when I read your title. And his main mantra is “Peace and Love.” I sure hope Peace and Love help us get out of this mess.

21. Tony Kovatch

Nothing you say can be challenged, George—I wish Aretha Franklin was still alive and could shout out “R-E -S-P-E-C-T” in the faces of these misled individuals!! Or a stern threatening look from Sister Clare!

22. sloppy buddhist

sending vibes of science, research and doctors from the north…hard to witness what’s happening 🥺 perhaps, reading some of the words from Dr. Deena Hinshaw and Dr. Bonnie Henry could be calming…they done and fine job here in Alberta and BC and yes George the world is watching 🤓sending peace and all good things ~ Hedy