This, That And The Other Thing

Just a few random thoughts/questions that may or may not be tied into each other. I’m not really sure these days.

Chick-fil-A

Full disclosure, I’m not a big fast food person. By fast food I mean, Mcdonalds, Burger King, Wendy’s, etc. If any of my grandchildren want to stop there, I’ll pick at some fries but I stay away from what the Tiger King crowd considers edible. By the way, I’m not a food snob by any means. I prefer casual rather than fancy, but that doesn’t mean I don’t have some standards. Though some may say I don’t have many. But who listens to them anyway.
Now apparently Chick-fil-A  has a serious groupie following. So one day after seeing a movie with two of our grandchildren,  they asked if we could stop at CFA for lunch and we thought, why not. We’ll give it a try. Bottom line, I don’t get the fascination. It’s fast food fried chicken. Put in on a bun or lay it on a plate, it’s average at best. But I’m not here to judge, only to tell you about a sighting.

About nine months ago a CFA opened about fifteen minutes from us. The crazy thing is,  every time I pass it, without fail, there is a serious double line of cars waiting to go through the drive thru. By serious, I mean 30-40, complete with security and orange cones helping cars weave through a large strip mall parking lot.

And then this past weekend happened.

I drove past there at 3:15 on Saturday and there were 64 cars on line. On my way back home, at 4:45, there were 97 cars on line. 97! How do I know? Because I stopped and counted both times. Don’t judge. Like most people I have lots of time on my hands these days and my numbers had to be accurate for this post. You see, I do have some standards.  Besides, I was curious as hell and I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.
Now I don’t know how long it takes to fill an order but even if, by some miracle, they can push a car through each minute, people will still be waiting an hour and half for fast food fried chicken.  Do the math for two minutes, or three.

Come on now. Am I missing something?

Traffic Reports

On a normal day, the local channels around here provide  traffic reports each morning, afternoon and evening. But these are not normal times, So for the life of me, I don’t understand why these people are still coming on each day to provide an updated report on nothing. NOTHING.  All the roads are green and have been for weeks. There is no traffic to be found anywhere. We live 45-50 minutes outside of NYC. East bound traffic  is usually a mess during morning  rush, and west bound in the evenings.   Not these days. Once in a while I can see excitement in the eyes of these traffic reporters when there is a road construction project to report. But it doesn’t matter because the maps are still green. Even closing two of three lanes on the busiest stretches of Route 80 during rush hours won’t create a problem these days. Why? BECAUSE  NOBODY IS DRIVING ANYWHERE.

Unsubscribing

I often get junk mail in my in box. When I hit the unsubscribe button to get taken off the list I sometimes get a message that says I’ve been unsubscribed and they’re sorry to see me go. But more times than not, I get asked to enter my email address. Why? Don’t they already have it? If I’m unsubscribing from the email address they sent mail to, why can’t they just do what others do, say thank you and move on. Why does it have to be annoying? I don’t understand.

Taneytown

Taneytown, Maryand is a city of less than 7K people about 40 miles outside of Baltimore. A few days ago the local police apparently had to issue final warnings to residents who were going out  to get their mail without  pants on. Now I don’t know what that means and the stories I read didn’t elaborate. Did these people have under garments on or were they buck naked? Because that’s a big gap in the story. (no pun intended). If there’s anyone out there from Tanytown feel free to respond.

Imagine if the name of the city was Tinytown. That opens up a whole new set of jokes. Thank goodness for vowels.

Finally

I’ve heard so many people say that they can’t wait for this self quarantine to be over, but no one has mentioned what they plan on doing when it is. So my question is….

What’s the first thing you’re going to do when this cloud is lifted? Where’s the first place you plan on going? If it’s a restaurant, which one? If it’s a location, where? If it’s going to see a person, who?

Stay in and stay well!

53 thoughts on “This, That And The Other Thing

1. Andrew Reynolds

Most likely the lumber yard – I’m running out of wood to make things.

Either that or I’m going to call a realtor Idaho and see if I can find a remote bunker to buy where I can hide from any future, “issues.”

2. quiall

Ha ha you never disappoint! No pants?! I figured the world was going a little casual but that’s going a bit far. I think the one thing I want, when all of this is over, is a hug. I live alone and I miss physical contact. Just a friendly hug from someone I care about. I have already put a few people on notice and there are expectations.

3. oldmainer

My first stop will be at the barbershop. My next stop will be the animal shelter. The last and longest however will be to the pub for a couple of cold locally brewed brown ales. And, like Pam, anyone that wants a hug will get one.

4. Book Club Mom

This is good, George! As for Chik-fil-A, I’ve had it a couple times and think it’s pretty good, but it’s nothing I crave. My kids love it and I know a lot of people who do. We have one near us and next time I’m out I will see what the drive-through line is like and report back to you. We also have no traffic near us – I wonder if they still do traffic reports, probably! I’m not sure what the first thing I do will be when the ban is lifted. I mostly just miss being able to run out to get something when I need it. But I’ve become a much more efficient planner now so maybe I won’t want to do that!

That’s interesting, Barbara. I think you’re right about becoming more efficient. I wonder if we will run out as quickly or as often as we used to, especially in the beginning.

5. Janis @ RetirementallyChallenged.com

I think even when shelter in place is lifted, many people won’t rush back to their “normal” lives. Places like restaurants, movie theaters, and sports venues might have a tough time convincing people that it’s ok to sit close. That being said, I’m going to speed-dial my beautician for a cut!.

LOL…I think lots of people are calling for haircuts, etc. But like you, I don’t believe people are going to be rushing back to some these places. I know I won’t.

6. Anne Mehrling

The CFA in Waynesville NC always has a line, but it isn’t nearly as long as yours.

The first thing we’ll do when free is go to church. We’ll have our neighbors over, that is if we can see them through our long hair. Hair cuts are way up there on the list. We’ll go sit in a restaurant to eat on Sunday, and grandson David and I will go to Dunkin’ to peer at the goodies on display. We are eager to find out if our other grandson will be able to come back from NY to continue college in NC.

What is tops on your list, George?

7. thechickengrandma

You made my day George! This is a great post. Laughed at the renaming of the city….Tinytown…yup I will just leave that alone! Must be warmer there is all I can say.
    First thing I want to do…..I want to go see my kids and grandkids! I want to plop them (the grandkids) on my lap and read them stories and listen to what is important to them at that minute. I should say a haircut but I can always put it in a ponytail while I listen to the kids!

8. murisopsis

CFA is okay but the only thing I get there are the milkshakes! They have a really good Peach one and the cookies and cream isn’t bad either! The first thing I’m going to do is visit my children. The first place I want to go is to my favorite Bubble Tea shop and get a Taro Slush with Boba. I also want to visit my in-laws for our regular Sunday ice cream get together with the whole family. And they are all huggers!

I’ve heard the milkshakes were pretty good there. I’ll have to give it a try. I like that you already have s plan. I hope we all don’t have to wait too much longer..:)

We don’t have Chick Fil-A here so… no big whup. But I can tell you, there is no way in hell I would line up if there were TEN cars, never mind 97! Sheesh.

Honestly, I have no idea where I’ll go…. I think I’ll still be leery of going anywhere too soon after all of this.

No loss on not having a CFA, Dale. I’m like you, I’m going to let others rush out to some of these places. I’ll dip my toes in at some point and then decide to walk.

Oh, no worries… I don’t love that stuff. I made my own very extremely juicy and delicious fried chicken last week. I’m good!

10. aFrankAngle

Chick-Fil-A may be a good sandwich, but it’s not that good to wait in that long of a line. Especially since I believe a significant portion of their popularity has to do with politics. I have no stats, just an inkling.

First place after the cloud? Hmmmm … not sure probably Skyline for a sitdown treat of Cincinnati Chili. Stay safe!

You’re probably right about part of their popularity being political though that’s taking it to extremes. I hope that chili is as good or better than you remember it..:) Stay well, Frank.

11. Savoring Sixty and Beyond

The lines are always long at our CFA, but not near the numbers as in your area. They have double lanes and move them through pretty quickly and efficiently at the ones near me. Not a fast food fan either, and it amazes me how people are willing to wait in such long lines! The first place I plan to go once the clouds are lifted? I will probably have to go to my school and clear out my classroom since I am retiring June 1st. The place I want to go is on a little get away to the beach or mountains. Just somewhere with a different view!

I’m sorry you weren’t able to end the school year in the way you deserve. That stinks. But I’m sure the beach or mountains will more than make up for it..:)

Have never heard of Chick-Fil-A. I am thinking they are only in the States? Sounds like our line ups for Tim Horton’s coffee.🥴. Drives me out of my mind when having to dodge around cars lined up out on the road for a coffee! Seriously people, buy a coffee maker🤬.

First thing I shall be doing is giving that granddaughter of mine the biggest snuggle on the planet💕. Can’t wait!

13. Sorryless

I don’t get the fascination with Chick fil A either, but I did enjoy a Popeyes spicy chicken sandwich several months ago. Didn’t feel the need to go back, because I could do it myself, so there’s that.

As for the unsubscribing business, you’re right! They email me and then they ask for my email address . . . makes zero sense.

Traffic reporters should improvise. Tell us how many geese are flying north. Or where the ducks are gathering. Or hey! Tell us how many peeps are in line at Chick fil A!

I’m so glad to see your comments on Chick-Fil-A! A friend recommended it and so I met her there for lunch one day (years ago), and found it to be just as you described: blah. Not horrible, but not great…just average fast food. I don’t understand the people who love it so, but to each his own. And I wouldn’t wait in line for over an hour to eat at my favorite restaurant, much less a fast food one.
    As for when this is over, do you mean when the restrictions begin to lift, or when they are finally gone altogether? It kind of depends on how much freedom we have. I want two things the most: the ability to gather with my friends and family again (including my poor mom) and the ability to get the heck out of town on an actual trip! I don’t even particularly care where I go, just so I go and get a change of scenery. I suspect I’ll be allowed to do the first before the second, but who knows?

I’m with you, Ann. Being with family and giving and getting hugs is at the top of my list. I keep thinking about where to go when this is over, somewhere We could drive because I’m not going to want to fly for a bit and somewhere that’s not too populated so I’m thinking of upper New England. Lots of space and less people..:)
      Hope we don’t have to wait too much longer..:)

15. Almost Iowa

The first thing I am going to do after the Stay-at-home order is lifted will be…..to stay-at-home like I usually do. Truth be told, I am one of the lucky ones, the shutdown has barely touched my life. I still go on long walks with Scooter and putter about the place.

16. Helen Devries

We are used to being shut in…every ‘flu could potentially trigger a severe illness in my hisband,,,but when this one is over we are off to the garden centres having had time to decide how to plant an area of the garden hitherto negkected.

17. roughwighting

I’m laughing and shaking my head (like, really world?)as I read your this’s and that’s. Okay, first Chick Fillet or Filet or whatever it calls itself. I don’t get it either. I have a good CA friend who drives 50 minutes to get a CFA. Absolutely loves it (She’s from Georgia, and I guess it’s big there too). I took my 7-year-old there a few months ago after we went to a movie. Long line. Almost got my car crunched. He left 3/4s of it uneaten once we took it home. Grrrr.
    Traffic reports – yup, what’s up there? Although in the Boston area, there are more people driving around “essentially,” but still nothing like normal The good news is that there are lot less accidents to report.
    And don’t get me started on Unsubscribing. I refuse to give them all that info when I try to unsubscribe, thus, I still get their junk mail.
    Gotta go get the mail. In my jeans and top, mind you.
    First thing I’ll do? Race over to our daughter’s house, hug her three kids (and her, and even her husband) and kiss their two dogs. 🙂

Fifty minutes to get to CFA? That’s crazy but it’s still shorter than waiting in that line..😳
      Like you, hugs will be on the agenda when this is over. Sooner rather than later, I hope. Stay well!

18. Stine Writing

You had me laughing about your Chick-fil-a car counting. I only had food there once, maybe twice when my son was alive and he wanted to go. I found it too spicy, even though I love Buffalo Wings and the such. Have you ever seen the episode of Undercover Boss for Chick-Fil-a? It was a good one if I remember correctly.

Love this post! I think it is related. You’re noticing things, some pet peeves, all because of this virus! I haven’t left my tow, literally, in five weeks, so I have no idea what traffic is like. I agree about fast food-gag me! I feel the same about Dunkin. Why would I drink that garbage and wait in those lines when I can enjoy quality coffee at home? The first thing I’m doing when this lifts is going to visit my mother in Newport. I am walking the beach, the Cliffwalk, Thames Street. I can’t wait.