The Colors Of New England

With everything going on out there, I needed to escape to a better time. So I started looking at some of the photos we took during our trip this past fall to Vermont and New Hampshire. For too many years this fall trip of colors has been on our bucket list. We were finally able to work it out this past year ad what we found was breathtaking. As with many beautiful spots, no picture can really describe or give justice to the beauty that surrounds you. It’s like a brilliant 360 degree canvas that follows you wherever you go.

We spent some time in the beautiful village of Woodstock, Vermont at a terrific Bed and Breakfast called the Blue Horse Inn. We ended with a few days in the quaint little village of Jackson, New Hampshire, exploring the surrounding towns and lakes while staying at the Wentworth Inn.

We’ve always been big fans of upper New England, spending a lot of time exploring the Maine coast along with the villages and towns of Vermont and New Hampshire. There’s something magical about these places; the people have always been friendly, and the food, well, what can I say.

But seeing it in the fall takes it to another level.

So if you have a few moments, (and who doesn’t these days), take a little trip with me to a better time. One we will all get to again very soon.

Enjoy and stay well!

P.S. I’m not a photographer so these were taken with only an iPhone; and I’ve enlarged them a bit here so the clarity may be off.

How can I forget a sampling of the food…:)

68 thoughts on “The Colors Of New England

1. aFrankAngle

Thanks for the great pictures. I too, am not a photography, but I’ve learned to frame the shot. In my eyes, you’ve done well. Thanks for sharing and cheers to a happier time. Stay safe.

2. quiall

Stunningly beautiful pictures. You had great vistas to work with but they are good shots. I just love the streams through the forest. We need all the beauty we can get these days!

Surprisingly the beauty and amount of lakes and streams surprised me. I anticipated the colors but the streams in the woods were gorgeous as well.

3. George Lacherza

Great photos .. enjoyed them them, especially th what’s going on..nice diversion. Hope you and family are safe and healthy 👍🏻 Stay well my friend.

Frankie 5

Wonderful, George. I love that area as well. Have never gone in the fall, though as we have quite the show here in Quebec..
    Thanks for sharing your very lovely photographs!

Such a beautiful part of the U.S. to explore, particularly in the fall. I had the pleasure of visiting this area a number of years ago, also in the fall. Gorgeous!

Loved seeing this post today George, I think we may be on the same wavelength. I was thinking of starting a series, Armchair Travels, or something along that line, to share some travel stories at a time when we don’t have the option to physically explore.

Thanks for sharing!💕

We used to go to New England every year for a week in the fall. My husband’s two brothers live up there. It’s always beautiful until for a few consecutive years we picked a rainy week. We haven’t been back up since but we had some great times there. Maine is just wonderful. The lobster superb!

Those are gorgeous, George! Thanks for sharing them, because you’re right, we need some escapism right now. Visiting New England during the Fall leaf season is something I want to do…and now that I’ve seen your pictures, I want to do it even more!

Thanks Ann. I was disappointed we waited so long because my wife was a teacher and the fall never worked out. You won’t be disappointed, Ann. It’s like God painted a canvas that surrounds you.

8. Tony Kovatch

Photojournalism at its best!! Reminds me of the time many years ago when our family visited Yellowstone National Park. When I beheld the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone River, I was stupefied with my mouth gaping open from wonder at the colors of the walls. I said to my youngest son who was about 13 years old at the time: “This reminds me of the song lyrics ‘Can you paint with all the colors of the wind’ ?” He looked at me like I was stoned and makes that claim even today! I respond that I was stoned. by the breathtaking beauty of nature and its ancient majesty!

LOL….thank you for the compliment, Tony. I wish I could claim that title. Maybe one day I can improve. It’s funny you should mention standing with your mouth open in the Grand Canyon because there were so many times we stopped the car on roads with people pulled over and they were just standing around as you described not really believing what they were seeing and trying to take it all in. It was actually an emotional experience at times.
    The lyrics of that song ring true. Now that he’s older I’m sure your son can appreciate the beauty of these places a little more, though he may still think you are stoned sometimes, as all our children do…:)
    Have a Blessed Easter and stay well.

1. Tony Kovatch

LOL….actually, in these later years, when I surprise my children with an emotional reaction, they think it is a sign of early senility rather than of intoxication. That is because they do not understand where our generation (the Baby Boomers) are coming from! They have never read Robert Frost, the poet of New England or, if they have, they have forgotten the solemn passion of these lines from my favorite Frost poem “Birches”:
      “So was I once myself a swinger of birches,
      And so I dream of going back to be.
      It’s when I’m weary of considerations,
      And life is too much a pathless wood…”
      I will have to get up there myself some time—I have added it to my “bucket list”!
      Thank you for bringing me back, George! Happy Easter to you and Kathie and the rest of your Family, including Lucille B.

10. candidkay

Thank you for taking us on a mini-vacation:). This looks like a gorgeous trip! I have always been drawn to parts of New England. Fell in love with various towns on Cape Cod a couple of years ago. I love the independent bookstores, the ponds/swimming holes, the vibe.

Thank you. If you enjoyed the cape for all those reasons you would love upper New England. It’s all of that and much more. Stay well!