When A Couple Of Days Becomes A Couple Of Months

Sooooo…..how’s it going out there?

Been a while for me. Not that anyone is counting days but my last post was two months ago. That’s a long time without a sound in the blogosphere, especially when there is no justifiable reason. I’m fine, family is fine, (thankfully), weather is getting warmer, another Idol has been crowned, it’s lighter longer, politics is still an embarrassment and Thrones has finished.

And I’ve been gone.

Some people I know were celebrating that fact. Sorry to disappoint you.

It’s one thing to take a planned hiatus, understanding that you need to step away for any number of reasons. But I never planned to take a break. Two days suddenly became two months and I feel like I’ve missed a lot. So why the disappearing act? ( I’ll explain, in case you’re interested, of course.)

Well, March through July is usually a pretty busy time for our immediate family. We celebrate ten birthdays in a very short period of time, all of which have some sort of party. Throw in Mother’s Day, Easter, Fathers’ Day and our wedding anniversary and the days and weekends are pretty full. But then this year came along and we added two communions, two dance recitals, a kickboxing tournament and a college graduation to the mix.

But I’m just getting started.

In March decided to begin two projects around the house, both of which involves contacting contractors, waiting for them to possibly show up, getting quotes and scheduling the work. Two major projects. Call seven people and you’re lucky if three show up. For each project.
Oh, then there was that separate problem with water in the basement around the sump pump and contacting a half dozen people, each of whom had their own ideas and cost on how to fix it. Yeah, that was fun. This last ten months of constant rain has been a blast. Noah’s never around when you need him most

There’s more but I don’t want to wear out my dubious welcome.

Now, I don’t know about you but for me to write anything or string two sentences together, the stars pretty much have to align, and by that I mean, it has to be quiet, not only in the room I’m in, but in my head as well. Crowded mind, cluttered mind.  I’m not from the Stephen King school of writing.
You know those times when you’re moving through the day and you come up with an idea or two for a blog and you write it down so you won’t forget? I was never able to get to a pencil or paper or phone fast enough. And at my age, if I don’t record it at that moment it becomes like the leaves of an oak tree during a nor’easter in the fall.

Now I’m not complaining at all. I know I’m blessed. All the things I’ve mentioned are good things, except the water/weather problem, of course, but the Man upstairs seems to have a different opinion of that than I do. We’ve differed before. That’s okay. We always seem to make up.

We’re only halfway through the party/celebration season but at least the projects are now completed so I feel theres been a little more quiet in my head. A little more focus. Or at least as much focus as I’m capable of. Don’t expect too much.

So, that’s my explanation/excuse. It’s not much but it’s all I have. I know I’ve missed a lot and I’m sorry about that. If you want to break up, it’s understandable, You can even keep the ring. We’ll call it even.

68 thoughts on “When A Couple Of Days Becomes A Couple Of Months

1. aFrankAngle

Welcome back, George. No apologies necessary, but hey – (as I like to say) Life gets in the way of blogging. You know that I’m a believer in blog breaks because blog breaks are good – such a wonderful mantra. 🙂 … but I can also see how two days turns into two months. Heck, I recall one of my planned breaks unexpectedly grew from two weeks to 6-8 weeks. Most importantly, all are in good health and spirits, so continue to embrace that. Thanks for checking in.

2. Anne Mehrling

I’m delighted to have you back in the blogosphere and happy you had worthy excuses for your absence.

I am getting better at writing under less than ideal circumstances, but quiet is always preferable. I hope you get enough quiet time to keep us up to date.

No apologies necessary, George. Life is for living. The fact you share your life with your readers is something that belongs to you. When life gets in the way, then you have to partake in that life. We’ll take you when we get you 😉

4. edgar62

Things to do – people to see – chaos to cause – lives to ruin… Pretty much the same here. A fairly standard three months/ Oh, I did go to a conference, about 1000 klms, away; it was cold and miserable, and the weather wasn’t much better… Welcome home.

5. Inkplume

Welcome back. My mind works best in quiet times too. That’s why I love early mornings when I am the only one awake for about a hour or so. My thoughts and creativity don’t have to compete with the morning news, conversations (which I do enjoy, just give me an hour to myself) or anything else.

6. Pix Under the Palm Fronds

Glad you are back! I’m all too familiar with separation from the blogosphere. I’ve been away from the blog a year and a couple of months but I finally adjusted to a new state and home, beat the WP gremlins and I’m back. Quiet is always nice.

Sending a bouquet of flowers would be nice! 🙂 Good to have you back and glad that all that kept you away was good stuff (except for the house projects). I can relate to not writing stuff down RIGHT AWAY! I have the attention span of a flea and some of my best posts (I’m sure they would have been Pulitzer prize winning) have gone with the wind.

8. The Coastal Crone

Welcome back! It is nice to hear that you have simply been enjoying life and taking care of business. I have not posted for some time but really have no excuses but life comes first. Your post reminds me to get busy and finish that post I started weeks ago. Keep up the celebrating – any excuse to celebrate with family and friends should not be passed up! And happy anniversary!

9. thechickengrandma

Good to see you back George! I know exactly what you mean about not remembering a good idea for a post. I have a friend who has given me a couple small notebooks to keep in my purse for when a blogging idea hits……only problem it hits when I am in the middle of stuff and by the time the stuff is done my idea has evaporated….never to be heard from again.
    And congratulations on all the celebrations!

Oh boy George, I haven’t written a post in over 3 months so it sounds like life as been very busy for us both! Life just keeps rolling along doesn’t it? Lovely to hear from you!

11. Pistachios

Haha I’ll graciously accept your apologies – both for coming back and for disappearing in the first place 😉
    It’s good that you’ve been busy with celebrations too and not just boring stuff. Hope you did well in that kickboxing comp! (or whoever it was you were supporting…)

No apologies needed, George, you’re entitled to live your life, even if it does interfere with blogging…LOL! Just know we enjoy your posts when you have time to write them, and we understand when you don’t. (And I’m speaking from experience as I just returned from a twelve day break from blogging while I was on vacation!)
    Welcome back, my friend!

13. Book Club Mom

Hi George – glad to catch up with you! You have been very busy – household projects (unfortunately) and family celebrations (fortunately) definitely take up time. I’ve been blogging less too because I’ve been so busy in my job and family life. So I know how when you go one day, then two, etc. that blogging can get lost in the back somewhere. Spring is always so busy for me, but I’m hoping to have more time this summer to put more time into my blog. So welcome back and I’ll be looking for more posts from you!

14. Joanne Sisco

It sounds like me. I get these ‘brilliant’ and random thoughts about a blog post – full paragraphs suddenly form in my head – but if they aren’t committed to paper immediately, they are lost.

Sometimes we just have to take care of the real world around us and the virtual one has to wait.

15. Lori

Ha, George, this is funny. I like how you have disagreements with the Man upstairs, but then always make up. People understand how life gets in the way with activities you mean to do but don’t get to (like blogging). You have a big family for lots of gatherings. That’s nice. I missed doing those things when I lived far away, and I SO appreciate it now that I’m back.

I especially understand how the mind clutter has to quiet down to write. That’s a biggie for me.

I enjoyed this post.

Thank you, Lori. We feel blessed to have family close by. I don’t know how I would deal with children and grandchildren a distance away.
      Yes, the Man and I have had our moments….)

16. roughwighting

And I’m late in responding to your “I’m back” post. You have great excuses. And really, we bloggers don’t need excuses. My May-July is like your March – July. I’ve lost count of how many birthdays/anniversaries our family celebrates. Just in June it’s my son’s, my daughter’s, and two grandson’s birthdays. Plus the anniversary. And Father’s Day. Why couldn’t I have birthed my kids in January? NOTHING goes on in January. 🙂 Gald you’re back.