Road Trip-Disney World

As a longtime Bruce Springsteen fan, I learned many years ago that there are two camps. You either like him and his music or you don’t. I’ve never heard anyone say, yeah, he’s just ok.
I’ve found the same holds true with Disney, You either enjoy going there or you don’t. For many I think it’s impossible to be a take it or leave it type of person with Disney. Some people are made for it and some are not.

Look, Disney isn’t for everyone. It’s not. You have to believe. You have to have the mindset of a child, not be bothered by ridiculous crowds, brutal heat during  summer months and holidays, long lines, being cramped into shoulder width space during fireworks, long lines, exorbitant pricing, ridiculous crowds, and in your face marketing and commercialization. You have to be flexible, overlook and understand irritable kids, (most of whom are not your own), not blink at the price of a burger or drink, be patient with the transportation system and be willing to plan days and times for rides. Did I mention long lines and ridiculous crowds?

So why go? That’s a good question. One that everyone who enjoys Disney answers for themselves. You really do have to see it through the eyes of a child and not through the logical brain of an adult because logical adult brains would scream at you to stay away. But in some strange way, if you approach and plan it well, it can be a blast. For as much commercialization as Disney is rightfully accused of, they do so much well. Considering the number of people who move through the parks on a daily basis, I’m amazed it runs as well as it does the majority of the time.

When we went in November with one of our daughters, her husband and two young granddaughters, we caught the last few days of the wine and food festival at Epcot, which was a lot of fun. Crowded, but fun. The parks were being decorated for Christmas so we also got to experience that for the first time and it was really special to see. The music, the snow falling around you at night as you walk through lighted streets in different parks. Yes, it was crowded. But if you have the ability to overlook some things and focus on the magic through the eyes of children, it becomes very special.

Here are just a few photos of the different parks.

Outside of Magic Kingdom.

Hanging With a Friend in Animal Kingdom.

Boardwalk At Night

Castle During Fireworks Night (yes the crowds are crazy)

Christmas Tree In Hollywood Studios

Main Street After Fireworks

Making A Gingerbread Carousel

With The Following Ingredients

For me the best of both worlds would be walking the parks with Springsteen playing throughout. But I realize I can’t have everything I want,  so I’ll settle for Disney music, hundreds of characters and princesses,  smiles on the faces of children and Dean Martin singing Marshmallow World.

Disney is not for everyone and it doesn’t make you a bad person for not wanting to come. Just leave the bitter beer faces at home. You’ve been forewarned. My public service announcement is now complete.

You’re welcome.

41 thoughts on “Road Trip-Disney World

1. candidkay

I’m a Disney lover. We took our kids when they were young and it was magical for them–and for me:). You just have to suspend disbelief or not go, right? So glad you made some happy memories.

2. The Coastal Crone

Oh, I would be fine with Deano singing Marshmellow World! Great photos. You were fortunate to experience it with grandchildren. We went years ago with our children. And you are right, you have to see it through the eyes of a child – crowds, lines and all.

3. RetirementallyChallenged.com

I have never been to Disney World, but I grew up (and still live) about an hour and a half drive from Disneyland so I’ve been there many times (mostly when I was young). I think I’m actually in the It’s OK camp. I know several people who are all Disney, all the time… I’m definitely not that. But, I don’t hate it. Because I live fairly close, it’s easy enough to do a spur of the moment trip on a sunny winter day when the crowds are lighter. It’s been several years since I’ve gone and I’m in no big hurry to return… but you never know.

I’m in the Bruce Springsteen camp- followed him up and down the east coast in my younger years. Disney- not so much. Thanks for sharing the beautiful photos- it does look magical- from my quiet kitchen table with a coffee in hand. 🙂

5. murisopsis

I want to go back without kids! I enjoyed it immensely. I remember saying that Disney didn’t have any bad attractions – it was all good. And my husband turned and said that when he retires he wants to get a job at Disney World. I told him I wanted to drive the boat in the Pirates of the Caribbean. The boat/tour guide stands backward and talks and points out things while steering with their keister! That’s a job I think I could do!!

6. edgar62

I have never been to either place – World nor Land – but I think I would like the place, kind of. I don’t think the crowds would bother me too much. While not really Springsteen kind of person, I would prefer Sinatra, but that’s just me. I Actually prefer walking in the high country with my dog but I would like to be able to say that I have been to ……….

7. Almost Iowa

We have gone several times. The last this January. In the past we enjoyed ourselves, but this time all the negatives you mentioned piled up.

I did appreciate the signs that indicated the expected wait times.

WAIT TIME 120 MINUTES (Men’s restroom)
    WAIT TIME 240 MINUTES (Women’s restroom)

🙂

Lol…that’s funny. Surprised it was so busy in January. After Christmas the park usually thins out. Unless it was right after and still decorated?

When I was a kid, I wanted to go to Disneyland so badly, but my parents didn’t have the time or money to take us. So when my own children were small, we did take them to Disneyworld in Orlando. I have to say I wasn’t super impressed, but mostly because of the crowds and the fact that our youngest child was too young to really handle it. We would be in line for a ride forever, and just when it was about our turn to get on, he’d spot a Disney character signing autographs and want to go see him, NOW. At that time, Universal Studios wasn’t so built up and was much less crowded, so we ended up going there for our last two days instead.

It’s not nearly what it was when you were there last. I remember what it used to be, now it’s like a city. It’s crazy but I love going. Don’t love the crowds but if you plan out everything , with fast passes now, it’s very doable. But if you can’t deal with crowds….:)
      Oh… and never go in the summer!

I know many people who feel the same way, Joanne. It’s not a place for everyone. It’s strange for me because I don’t like rides, but there’s just something about the place that’s special. But that’s just me..:)

9. Sorryless

I loved our trip. And you’re right, you have to immerse yourself in the place, otherwise you’re not going to enjoy it.

Epcot was my favorite, animal kingdom was great. And I found myself getting just as excited as my kids (This is twelve years ago now) when one of the Disney characters would come along.