Side Roads

Slow down and enjoy life. It’s not only the scenery you miss by going too fast…you miss the sense of where you are going.
Eddie Cantor

Most of us live, or have lived, busy lives. When we were younger, we’d get up each morning and move through the day almost robotically at times. Driving the same route to work, performing the same tasks, seeing the same people, driving home, running the same errands, keeping the same commitments, sometimes rushing through dinner to get to the next appointment with or without children, maybe an hour or so to relax before we go to bed and start it all over again the next day. Sometimes even weekends call us. Work, games, obligations. It’s a cycle. More for some than for others. It’s just how things seem to be these days. There is no real down time. The opportunity to relax on a regular basis doesn’t seem to exist any more, at least for many.

There are roads I have travelled for years, and until recently, I never slowed down enough to really see what was around me. There are side roads I never took. I always wondered where they led and what I would find if I traveled them but there was always someplace to be. Always another time. Always.

Not long ago, as we were traveling to an appointment, I chose to take a detour. Soon after, I took another, and then another, until I found myself finding different, more beautiful ways, to get to the same place. It just took a little more time.

Life is like that for so many of us. We pursue a career, lifestyle, family, home and any additional extras  we may have envisioned for ourselves as we move through life. But we rarely, if ever, take a side road. Life sometimes moves too fast for us to pursue a different dream, to learn a new skill, to find enjoyment in different places. Only when we get a little older do we have the time to reflect and breathe. But it shouldn’t, or doesn’t have to be that way. Life paths are a choice.

Cecile Andrews once wrote, “The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary can breathe.” Breathe enough so we have the time to pursue other avenues or dreams. To really enjoy and appreciate family. To not miss the sense of where you are going, or who you are.

To take side roads.

49 thoughts on “Side Roads

1. George Lacherza

Trying to get there my friend , not an easy path
    path at times, but will continue to try! Hope all well
    with you and your family.

Stay well.
    Luca

2. thechickengrandma

George, you have watered my soul. First that picture of the hammock and ocean. I love listening to the water and watching the water! Second, the entire post. My husband is a master of finding the road less traveled and we have seen so many things because we took the time to stop and look and listen.

Kudos to your husband for finding those treasures. I remember your post not long ago about how you walked out in the morning and just listened to all that was around you. That watered my soul. I hope you’re feeling better, Faye..:)

Wonderful post, George. Even taking side roads – literally – allows you to discover places you wouldn’t have thought of visiting…
    As for the journey of life, side roads definitely should be an option, even if for just a little bit….

So lovely to see your post George. Too often, we all fall into the rat race of life, just getting from point A to point B & forgetting to take a little detour now & again. I love that you have the time to now find those beautiful side roads that lead to exploring a whole new sight to see. Hope you are well my friend.

You’re so right, George! Too often we clutter our life with unnecessary things that take up far too much of our time, and that results in all the senseless rushing. We need to take the side roads, and to enjoy what is right around us. I have lived in St. Louis most of my life, and yet there are so many things I’ve never seen here. And it’s only been in the past few years that I’ve even figured out what a waste that is!

I don’t know what it is. Why we live the pace we do. Maybe it’s out of necessity. Maybe obligation. Maybe because we think it’s expected of us. But what a gift when we slow our lives down, even a little.
      Thanks, Ann.

6. candidkay

I really like these thoughts. As I realize how much of life for me is working and the daily grind, I realize I must find more side roads–notice more. Follow them more:). Thanks for the reminder.

I know it’s hard to do sometimes especially when we’re juggling so much, as I know you are. But I often wonder how many people, in retrospect, would have lived their lives differently, if given another chance. Or at least found a few more opportunities to do the things they love and not just think about them. Age gives us a new set of eyes, I suppose..:)

7. Book Club Mom

More and more I am trying to do that. It’s still kind of busy at my house, but I’m discovering that I don’t need to have a hand in everything that is happening and that I can (and should) just let my kids manage their lives. That has given me and my husband more time to do the side road thing. There’s lots to see and appreciate on those roads! Great post.

It’s awful hard, sometimes to allow life to move forward without thinking we have to be involved in everything. It’s our nature, I suppose. But taking a step back at times is really a blessing . Breathing comes much easier..:)

8. deepasthoughts

When we drive around during weekends, we usually avoid the freeways. Thanks to the ‘Avoid Highways’ option on google maps, we manage to do that without getting lost.
    But then, it is so worth it.