Signs Of The Times

We were walking in a park the other day and came across this sign. Normally I wouldn’t be surprised except this particular park was wide open. It has a long walking track, playground, lots of athletic fields,  a dog park, even a water park for kids in the summer. What it doesn’t have is trees. Or wooded areas. Or anywhere to do what the sign prohibits except in the open. So as I looked around I wondered where this lawbreaking activity actually took place. Could it be that men made believe they were checking the tires on a car and women spent more than the usual amount of time squatting down to get  something from under the baby stroller, out in the open? Really? I’ll have to visit more often to check out this situation. Oh yeah, those facilities near the concession stand? They’re closed until April 1st. So is it still against the law if the facilities you advertise for use are closed? Just asking.

So this is another park I was walking in last week on a trail that’s not paved. Still, I’ve never seen a sign that prohibits texting while walking. There were other signs that prohibited cell phone use, horseplay and running. I’m sure the exposed tree roots had something to do with this and I’m sure safety was a concern. Probably not as much of a concern as potential liability on the part of the township but tha’s just me being cynical. So, rule breaker that I am, I decided to jog a bit while texting and making a phone call. I tried to horseplay but I was alone and my other personalities didn’t want to play with me. Go figure.

I thought this one was interesting. The free trip portion was an attention grabber, though anyone familiar with the Catholic Church, as I am, understands that free usually comes with a price tag. Still, I thought it was clever. It reminded me of a line I heard many years ago, “Everyone wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die.” Such a conundrum.

Who would have thought one would find such a profound/meaningful statement in a mall pizza joint. But here it is. Think about it. Then go hug the people you love.

Till next time….

46 thoughts on “Signs Of The Times

1. Andrew Reynolds

Does the public urination sign also apply to dogs? Just asking. On the trip to heaven, is that like a fixed departure date or can it be flexible? I know that sometimes those special offer things have a lot of restrictions – like do I have to go the pancake breakfast? Is this just for economy class passengers or is there a upgrade available?

I believe dogs are exempt from the law.
      You seem to have a lot of questions about the heaven trip. I might have to get some more details for you. My guess is there are different passenger sections but I don’t think you can upgrade easily, if at all. Just my guess…😊

2. Book Club Mom

Haha! These are good. My family and I recently got into a discussion about the clever messages on church signs and we decided that churches must subscribe to services that come up with catchy phrases. Who knows?

Thank you George, good to see you too. They are creatures, just not very mysterious. I’d even confess to being in the clutches of evil if it weren’t for the fact that they actually paid me to be their captive! Oh, the things I do for money. 😀

3. Osyth

Such a fabulous selection of signage … wisdom (the chalk board), conundrum (the Catholic Church), and the downright invitations to break the rules (texting, horseplay …. which is what exactly? Do we need a horse to indulge fully?). But the standout to me, living as I do in France, is the public peeing. The French are no holds barred just stop and do it people. Not in cities, you understand but by roadsides – I always know I’m home after a spell away when I spy my first peeing Frenchman. Funny what becomes ones normal in this life …. 😊

Lol…I never knew that about the French. We spent two weeks there quite a few years ago and never saw that. If I ever get back I’ll have to pay more attention..😊

Ahhh…you remember that song. I was going to use those exact words for the title of this blog. I’m glad you remembered it.
      I’ll look for the no photograph sign next time..:)

You found some very interesting signs! I’m not even going to think about the public urination issue ….ewwww…. but I’m guessing that the no texting while walking probably came from someone who walked smack into a tree while texting, and then decided to sue. I guess we have to have a sign for every eventuality these days. And good for you for breaking as many rules as you can all at once!
    But my favorite is the last sign. It’s something we need to keep in mind at all times. Cherish those we love while we have them for sure!

5. thechickengrandma

Well now George….you know this post is going to make me read every sign I see! (I already tend to do that but this will really make me do that!) I did have to laugh on the urination one. You raised some very good questions on that one. To bad there wasn’t a sign letting you know where you could ask those questions.

These each had some strange twist or outcome, George! I cannot imagine public urination but in a “pinch” have sent a grandson behind a tree.
    Texting and walking is something my 62 self cannot do!!
    As far as the church sign, no guarantees should be made, in my opinion!!
    Hugging and showing appreciation is important and this was really “sweet!” Thanks, George for the signs! I like the song from the 70’s, by the way. . . 🎶

7. sportsattitudes

Funny you should mention that. One of the Philly sports talk stations does a live remote on Fridays down in Atlantic City. The hosts mentioned the other day that of the NFC East’s fans who commented to them on the Eagles winning the Super Bowl, the Giants fans were the most cordial. Redskins fans were rude to the hosts. Cowboys fans were obnoxious. But Giants fans showed some class, and were happier the Eagles took down the Patriots than hissed off a division rival won it all. After all, the Giants fans know how good it feels to beat NE!

Almost every Giant fan I spoke with that day and after felt the same way. Personally I like when fan bases who are passionate about their teams finally get a chance to win one. They deserve to know how it feels, especially when the feeling includes beating the Patriots. The only division to beat Brady/ Bill in the Super Bowl…. three times! I’m a little surprised at Redskin fans, not surprised at all about the cowgirls.