Ramblings

I’ve been away for a bit but my mind hasn’t completely shut down. There are all these little thoughts that my brain manufactures, or things I’ve seen, and I’ve missed getting over here to write them and interact with you. So I’m going to make an effort, starting with this post, to write when I can and hope some of it makes sense. So here it goes….

I read several days ago that a private practice nutritionist suggested that having pizza for breakfast was a better option than cereal. Where, in God’s name, has she been all my life? I have to believe her private practice is going to blow up in her favor. Anyone who favors pizza over cereal for breakfast must have some other unique nutritional value suggestions we’ve been waiting for all these years. Finally, someone who speaks our language.

On the flip side of the pizza hunt for red October, I watched a documentary on Netflix recently, called Forks Over Knives. It’s essentially a suggestion that a plant-based food diet can help to eliminate any number of health related issues we may be having, including but not limited to heart, diabetes, blood pressure, etc. The studies they conducted and the results that were shown by individuals were pretty interesting. I’m not sure I can give up bread and chocolate but a halfway point might be considered. Anyway, if you have 90 minutes to spare one day, its worth exploring.

Finally, one last food topic. Some weeks ago riots spread out across France when supermarkets offered steep discounts on Nutella. France is one of the best trips we’ve ever taken and even though it’s been quite a few years since we’ve been there, I’d book a flight tomorrow if they ever pulled that Nutella trick again. Nutella is crazy good and my impression of the French people, while already high, moved up several more meters on the good crazy scale.

Our Ninety year old Aunt, who still drives, doesn’t take a single medication, has never been to a doctor and has all her facilities, received a one thousand piece puzzle as a gift recently. Of course she has no use for a puzzle that size so she decided to give it to us. Except she placed the pieces in a plastic bag and threw out the box it came in. She didn’t think anyone needed the box, or the picture on the front cover. I’m not a fan of puzzles anyway so it worked out in my favor.

We saw the movie  Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri, last month. One of the better acted movies I’ve seen in some time. If you haven’t seen it, I’d recommend it.

On the television front, binge watched Stranger Things, on Netflix. I’m not a big sci-fi fan but I really enjoyed this show. We also watch The Amazing Mrs Maizel on Amazon. Very funny and well acted. Set in the late 1950/ early 60’s. Recommend both if you have the services.

We went out for a late lunch the other day and were seated near a table of nine older women who were just finishing up. I heard the waiter apologize as he was giving them their individual bills because he only had seven pens. When they left and he came over to us I was teasing him about having to write-up nine bills but he just laughed it off. I asked him if that was normal for both men and women and if it varied by age. His answer surprised me. He said the two categories for separate bills, in his experience, are older women and younger men. The older women didn’t surprise me but the younger men did. I don’t think I’ve ever gone to lunch or dinner with anyone where we just didn’t split the bill, even if I thought I ordered less. But everyone is different. I just didn’t think younger men would fall into that category.

Fact…..if you’re painting a room and cover everything completely, a drop of paint will find the tiny little crevice that became separated between drop cloths. It just will.

I enjoy going shopping with my wife and I consider myself to be a pretty patient person. However, I think I’m more patient when there are a couple of chairs strategically placed in clothing stores. It doesn’t have to be fancy or especially comfortable. It just has to have four legs and a seat. I don’t think that’s too much to ask. It’s hard to believe  that retailers can’t figure out that when a women is shopping with their significant other, a place to sit goes a long way in the length of their visit, the mood they might be in, and more importantly, the direct correlation in how much they end up spending. I just don’t get it.

A few weeks ago I read that a woman from Concord, New Hampshire won 559 million dollars in the lottery but has yet to claim it because she doesn’t want anyone knowing who she is. Apparently, if she would have set up a trust before she signed the back of the ticket, the person in charge of the trust could have signed their name and she could have remained anonymous. Now I understand wanting to remain behind the curtain, but you just won life changing money and you knew the rules going into the game. She may yet win her case but at the end of the day that’s a whole lot of money. I’m not sure I’d want her problem, but I’m not sure I’d turn away from it either.

Sorry this is so long, but if you stayed till the end, ice cream is on me tonight. Whatever flavor you would like.

75 thoughts on “Ramblings

Thank you. Carol…:) I will gladly take your share of pizza and Nutella. Stranger things was a lot of fun. I didn’t expect it to be.
      Salted caramel…that’s a great choice!

1. Book Club Mom

So glad to see your post in my inbox! Lots of great ramblings here, George. Keep them coming. I totally relate to the room painting observation. That has happened to me many times. And I’m also glad that pizza for breakfast has gotten the okay!

Glad to see you here George- I binge watched the Marvelous Mrs Maisel- loved it. Need something new to watch, but not sure about sci fi. Also watched all 4 season of Transparent over winter break- loved it too.

Nice to catch up with you, George! If we pay attention to everything that is said concerning food, we’d not be able to eat anything. Moderation, I say.
    And I love your great aunt! My sister purposefully buys puzzles where the image is NOT on the cover. Way more of a challenge, no? 😉
    I wonder what the general thing is here re: bills and the individual vs split. I remember when we went to certain areas in the States they refused to make individual bills… What a pain!
    As for that winner. Well, come on now! You could be changing your life instead of trying to hide forever!
    Have a great rest of week and week-end!

Puzzles without the images? Wow. Your sister must have some kind of patience.
      I agree with the lottery winner comment. While I understand wanting to be invisible, time is passing quickly. Lots to do..:)
      Nice seeing you here, Dale..:)

Yep. The whole family participates. They leave it on the table and as one or another passes by, they add a piece or two!
        Nice to be here, George. 😊

Thank you, Lynn…that was a terrific movie, wasn’t it. Glad the ramblings made you giggle and while you’re smiling you can have several scoops of Pralines and Cream. Nice choice..:)

4. The Coastal Crone

Bluebell Homemade Vanilla for me, George. I agree that stores in women’s department should have more chairs for male partners and I would certainly buy more or at least try on more. Nice to have you back. I have been busy with volunteering and have not posted as much or visited.

5. Anne Mehrling

I loved what you wrote about you aunt. She is amazing. I made it to the end. If I weren’t holding out for grandson’s Black Forest Cake, I’d dish up some Extreme Moose Tracks ice cream and raise it in a toast to you.

Whoa…moose tracks is a favorite of mine so I’ll have to join you and I don’t think there’s any kind of law that would stop us from having our ice cream with a slice of that amazing sounding cake..:)

6. RetirementallyChallenged.com

Great to see you back in the blogosphere. Lots of good stuff here… let me see…

I’m not sure I’m ready to give up meat or dairy, but I’ve been trying to eat a more plant-based diet. Maybe Forks over Knives will convince me to go 100%, but I doubt it. Moderation is the key.

I’ve never eaten Nutella, I haven’t seen Billboards, and hadn’t even heard of Mrs. Maizel… perhaps I should remedy all three soon.

When I go out with a group, we’ll often split the bill, sometimes evenly and sometimes per-person or per-couple especially if some have racked up a large alcohol bill. I used to be a waitress way back when and hated splitting bills because it was such a hassle and the combined tips were often smaller. Now, with computers, it’s much easier to do (and I’m a good tipper).

Having chairs available in women’s clothing stores (I call it the “husband daycare” area) just makes sense. Not sure why more stores don’t do this.

And, finally, a scoop of ginger and lemon chiffon ice cream, please.

lol…husband daycare area is a nice way to put it. Never tasted Nutella? If you like chocolate it’s a must..:)
      Billboards is a very good movie.
      Ginger and lemon chiffon ice cream? Now that’s different and interesting. Only one scoop?..:)

7. Osyth

The Nutella debacle gripped us here in France and I had urgent requests from my youngest daughter to throw myself into hellfire and risk life and limb just to get her a needed crate. She admits it is an opiate. I enjoyed this ramble immensely, am glad to see you and hope things are reasonably positive at home. Chairs in stores? Not just for significant others but for the elderly (as far back as the 1970s I remember taking my very elderly Granny shopping and having to beg for a chair for her whilst I shopped – she loved the experience and liked to pay which pleased the late adolescent me but it became almost impossible) and for mums with daughters who can shop til they drop when they visit me and know it’s the last days of the sales here. Go gently, George – you are a treasure PS: Pistachio for me and if you insist a scoop of coconut too ….

So did you risk it all and get her the needed crate?
      You’re right about chairs in stores for the elderly and those who shop with their daughters. I remember those days all too well..:)
      I insist…Pistachio and coconut it is. What a great combo..:)
      Thanks, Osyth..:)

8. oldmainer

Not too long at all.  Read every word and as usual enjoyed them.  Love your aunt.  I have one that is 103 and just moved to a nursing home two years ago.  When she was 87 she sprained her ankle playing on a pogo stick with the kids.  She says the only thing golden about her golden years is her urine.  Glad you are back.  Bob

So good to hear from you George! And as for pizza for breakfast, I’ve been doing that for year. (It’s quite good) and I’m glad to hear that it’s not acceptable. Who knew that I’ve been eating healthy off this time by chowing down on leftover pizza first thing in the morning? Also, if I won that kind of money, I’d just take it, publicity and all. With that kind of money, I could hire the necessary security.
    Hope all is going well….

10. Susan - themoonlithowl

Lots of good stuff here. I did hear about the pizza for breakfast. The first time I did that was shortly after I had gotten married. My husband swore to me that cold pizza for breakfast was great! I thought he had lost his mind, but I tried it, and he was right. About time some nutritionists caught up with the rest of us on that. I personally could not get into Stranger Things but I will check out the other titles you suggested. I will pass along if you have not yet seen The Crown on Netflix then watch it. It is great! I am not much of an ice cream eater (dairy issues at times) but I LOVE coconut cake. 🙂 Lastly, from your latest blog post, your granddaughter is adorable. 🙂

Thank you…I’ve heard about The Crown and plan on checking it out. Pizza any tine of day is ok with me..:)
      Coconut cake works for me..:) I’ll slice a piece or two up for you..:)

11. Green Global Trek

Foks over Knives is excellent! No need to give up the chocolate, just switch to dark chocolate with the least amount of sugar you can find it and the highest amount of raw cacao. I happen to be an EX lover of Nutella. I hate to break the news, but Nutella is one of the worst things you can eat for many reasons, you can google it and find this information. But the good news is you can find natural alternatives that are as yummy and nutritious too without all the crap Nutella has in it. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news 😦

Can I have my almond fudge scoop now please??

Enjoyed your ramblings…

Peta

I always knew that Nutella wasn’t the best thing for me. My stomach reminds me even if I have a small amount, which I do a few times a year. But it does taste good, though many things that are not good for you usually do..:)
      I’ll look for the substitutes.
      How about two scoops of almond fudge? One just won’t do..:)

12. sportsattitudes

Pizza for breakfast? I’m in. Painting? I’m out. I agree with you 100% on “Three Billboards.” I am also agreeable to three scoops of mint chocolate chip. Oh, can I get that where the ice cream is green instead of white?