If You Make One Resolution This Year…..

Some of you may have noticed that I have been absent from our blogging world since the end of November. Then again, some may have not noticed at all…) I understand either way…) Unfortunately, sometimes life gets in the way and prevents us from following our normal routines or pleasures. In this case, the reason is breast cancer.

My wife was given the diagnosis in early December, had surgery a few days before Christmas and will begin treatment shortly. The good news is that the tumor was small and we caught it early. The not so good news is that chemo and radiation is ahead of us, but the outlook is very promising.

My purpose in writing this post is not so much for us, though prayers and good wishes are always welcome. My purpose is to let you know that this cancer was caught very early through a yearly mammogram. Because it was so small and deep, it could not be felt through self-examination or by a doctor, only through a  mammography.

Her decision to be tested yearly probably saved her life. My hope is that my words here may encourage someone out there to go for a test they may have put off for too long. Whether it’s a mammogram, colonoscopy, yearly physical, blood work, dermatologist visit or whatever else you should be checking, please take the time to take care of yourself.

I don’t know if anyone dislikes going to a doctor or for tests more than me. It’s unnerving, stressful and easy to convince yourself that you’re feeling fine and don’t need to rock the boat when the waters are calm. But we recognize, in time, that waters don’t always stay calm.
I also recognize that some people don’t believe in tests as a preventative tool and I’ll be the first to admit that not all tests are necessary. So let’s get that excuse out-of-the-way and focus instead on those tests that may save your life. You know what they are.

If you don’t want to do it for yourself, then do it for those who care about you. Do it so you have no regrets. No what ifs. Do it so you have the joy of living life to its fullest, even if that means a test reveals a detour that takes time away from the things you planned. Do it so you have many more days to make plans. Do it because you understand that while time is a depreciating asset and we can’t control everything in life, there are things we can do that just might help us, help ourselves.

I recognize this is not an uplifting post and it’s a topic we sometimes shy away from. But I’m hoping these words encourage just one person to make a phone call and do what you’ve been putting off. Making the appointment is the hardest part. Don’t wait.

Do it for those you love.

84 thoughts on “If You Make One Resolution This Year…..

1. Helen Devries

I am so sorry to hear of your wife’s illness….going through the radio and chemo is not going to be easy…but at least the cancer was caught in time by her deciion to go for a yearly test.
    Best wishes to both of you…as we know, it is something you go through together.

George I did notice your absence, and am sorry to read it was because of your wife’s diagnosis of breast cancer. Your words are important, I am very proactive in getting yearly check-ups and bloodwork. bone density scan, (I have osteoporosis) and most certainly mammography, every 5 years a colonoscopy- I hope others who read your post will heed your advice. I am glad in your wife’s case her tumor was found early and hope her treatments and follow up radiation go as easily as possible. Will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

3. Carrie Rubin

So sorry to hear your wife has to go through this, but how fortunate to catch it early. Thank you for bringing attention to health screenings. You guys learned first hand how important they can be. Best wishes to you both as you go down this difficult road.

4. Andrew Reynolds

Not what you folks wanted to deal with. Cancer is a treatable disease these days and your wife has every hope of a positive outcome – won’t be fun and will have it’s problems, but there is plenty of reason to hope. Hang in there you two – you’ll be on my prayer list.

5. edgar62

Thank you this post George. Annabell, my wife, went for the exam about six years ago and they found a small internal lump. Her doctor was notified and he sent her for tests and a biopsy. There being no facilities at our local country hospital I drove her to Adelaide (417 klms away) The tests and biopsy revealed a cyst. However, Dr. wanted to make certain so more tests – clear – and one third and final round of tests before he was ready to say that she was fine and he will keep an eye on any future development. I guess we were very lucky but it was a very worrying time for both of us. The thing is that both were discovered early, but your concern is that your good lady did have cancer, mine did not. I have a fair idea of the trauma this brings and even although the tests were clear, I was still scared for her. George, give our love and best wishes to your good lady and know that our thoughts are always there.

Thank you, Edgar. I’m so glad things turned out well for your wife but as you experienced, the waiting and anxiety that goes along with those tests are stressful. Hopefully you won’t experience anything like that again. Stay well.

6. Jodi

Good to hear from you George!!! I’ve missed you. Sorry to hear about your wife’s cancer diagnosis! But also soooo glad it was detected early. I need to heed your message here. I am guilty…. Thank you! ❤

Thank you, Jodi. Please take care of your health. Those grandchildren have lots to learn and experience with their special grandmother…:)You need to be there for them😊 stay well.

7. cordeliasmom2012

Hugs to you and your wife. Since the cancer was caught so early, I’m optimistic the treatment will be successful – although it will be a difficult process for both of you.

Just had my mammogram last week because my primary insisted. I’m happy to report the results were negative.

8. Anne Mehrling

Even though I was struggling to read all the posts in December, I missed you. Prayers are going up for you and your wife at this stressful time. Thank you for urging everyone to stay up to date with checkups. Three years ago, John and I had cancer. He had radiation, and I had surgery. We always keep our appointments! I’ll be thinking of you in the coming weeks.

9. thechickengrandma

Yes George you were missed! I will be praying for you and your wife through this George. I am so glad that it was caught early…that is a big thing. You are so right about getting those tests on time.
    Please keep us updated as you can. And always know that you are both being lifted up in prayer and are not in this journey alone.

Thank you so much, Faye. We believe in the healing power of prayer and the strength it provides during this time.
      Thank you for noticing..:) Stay well.

10. Ilona Elliott

I’m so sorry to hear that George. My sincerest best wishes for you both and for the best possible outcome for your wife’s health and well being. Thank you for sharing it in the spirit of helpful advice. Keep us posted please.

11. Osyth

I will hold you both tight in my thoughts and wish your wife the fullest and swiftest recovery possible. Strength to you both. It is hard supporting as well as suffering. I have shared your post on FaceBook – your message cannot possibly be beaten out to hard. Go softly, you both.

12. oldmainer

George   My wife is a throat cancer survivor.  She had a lump on her neck that we both assumed was thyroid and something we would have checked out “sometime”.  Turned out to be a cancerous growth that was stage three.  Robbed her of a vocal cord and left her with eating issues that have robbed her of her health.  Thankfully, she is still with me.  I don’t know how many times we have asked ourselves why we waited so long.  Thanks for the reminder.  You and your wife will be in our thoughts.,

Thank you, my friend. I’m so glad your wife is still with you, though I’m sorry you both had to go through that hell. Give your wife our best.

I had been wondering why you weren’t active in the blogging world anymore, and hoping that everything was okay. Thanks so much for letting us know what is going on. I’m so sorry that your wife has cancer, and yet so glad that it was caught early enough to be treatable. I have heard they have come a long way with chemo and radiation treatments and that for some people they are not as difficult as they used to be. I sincerely hope you wife is one of those people! And of course I will keep her and your whole family in my thoughts and prayers.
    Thanks also for this post. We do need reminders to get those pesky screenings, for exactly the reasons you stated. My guess is that your words will motivate many people to go in for that mammogram, colonoscopy, or whatever screening they have been dreading and avoiding….and that could well save their life. Thank you again, and please stay in touch as you are able.

Thank you, Ann. I appreciate you keeping us in your thoughts and prayers . Yes, they have come a long way and I do hope that my words will encourage someone to take care of their health. Better to never have regrets.
      I’ll be around. Take care of yourself. You have a new grandchild coming soon, don’t you?

14. Sue Tillotson

Beautifully written – thank you for this inspirational piece. God bless Kathie and know that we are all in her corner as she – conquers!! – this scourge.

Best wishes for your wife. Treatment is no fun but early treatment is better than late treatment. Like your wife I was diagnosed with breast cancer through a mammogram. They found a collection of suspicious dead cells that turned out to be cancer. No one, not me or the doctor, could feel them so it’s important to get the test. Also, there was no history of breast cancer in my family so that is not an excuse.

Thank you, Kate. Like you there was no history of cancer in her family either. The tumor is very small but the biology is a little trickier, hence the chemo and radiation. But your right, early treatment is better than late. Thank you for your best wishes. Stay well.

16. Wendy

Wow. Thank God she gets her check up. It’s all about those preventive measures anymore. I know with your help and support she will do great. Thanks for sharing, God bless you both. I’ll keep ya’ll in my prayers.

17. arlene

Blessing to your wife and your family George. I am a survivor myself, stage 3 colon caner back in 2009. I underwent oral and six cycles of chemotherapy. I am so thankful that I am okay now. Keep the faith.

18. Manja Mexi Movie

Healing vibes and positive energy. Another blogger friend has been diagnosed with breast cancer recently and her doctor told her that the percentage (at least in the USA) is down from 1 in 8 to 2 in 4. Which is quite hard to grasp. You write good sense. Thank you.

19. Fourth Generation Farmgirl

George, I have noticed your absence and have very much missed your posts and comments. I am so deeply sorry to hear this news; however, I am thankful it was caught early. Thank you for this thoughtful post at such a time. I hope with all of my heart that your lovely wife makes a full recovery. She is fortunate to have you by her side. Sending lots of positive thoughts, prayers, and love to you both. ❤️🌻 xo

Thanks so much, Tonya. I sincerely appreciate your prayers and thoughts. There will some difficult days ahead but if the journey ends the way we hope, that’s all that really matters…:)
      Stay well😊

20. Hugh's Views and News

I’m very sorry to hear the news George, but I’m so glad it has been caught early. Your words are very wise, especially for male readers who are the worst at going to see their doctor. I only read a story the other day of a man in his late 20s who died from testicular cancer. Apparently, he had felt the lump but refused to do anything about it saying that he was too busy at work.
    Wishing your wife a speedy and full recovery.

21. candidkay

Oh, George. I am so sorry and yet so very glad she caught it early! Helped a good friend through breast cancer a couple of years ago and it is a reminder to live, live, live NOW. Wishing her a speedy recovery.

22. sportsattitudes

George, I found myself in a partially similar situation several years ago where a biopsy had to be done on my wife to make sure all was well with her. Thankfully it was…and she is fine to this day. Best wishes…and you guys will be in my prayers. Hope to see you back blogging again soon…this from a guy who took a year off from it. The nerve, huh? 🙂

23. Ali Grimshaw

I don’t like medical tests or going to the doctor. I do want to take good care of my health but fear has gotten in my way. Thank you for the reminder. It is easy to just think it will never happen to me and that is just not true.

Fear sometimes keeps us from enjoying life and taking care of ourselves. It doesn’t change what is. Like you I don’t like going to doctors or for tests but always feel better after I did and find things are okay. You’re right, it can happen to anyone.
      Take care of yourself And stay well, Ali..:)