Intercourse

We always enjoy visiting Amish country around Lancaster, Pa. While retail outlets, hotels, entertainment venues and restaurants of every kind have taken away some of the simplicity and quaintness during the past thirty years, it still remains a peaceful, pretty place, as long as you where to go.

Pennsylvania Dutch Country has towns with unique names, (including the one below), which the retailers seem to have fun with.

During our last visit, I took some photos of the t-shirts for sale in some of the stores. I wonder what the Amish must think.

And yes, the town of Intercourse is actually between the towns of Blue Ball and Paradise. And yes, I own that baseball hat.

How could I not?

53 thoughts on “Intercourse

1. thechickengrandma

I do love the hat! I have a husband and three sons who would not hesitate to purchase one if they saw that hat. I will say your blog title really caught my attention…and then I had to laugh when I started to read! Love the post.

I’ll be the first to bypass the obvious and let you know your picture are beautiful.

Now, with that out of the way…πŸ˜‰πŸ˜Ž how could you NOT write a post about this.? What a great hat! Of course you can’t wear it to church- no hat would be accepted…πŸ˜‰

3. Osyth

Oh my! Those place-names …. I’d be in danger of driving off the road or colliding with some innocent Amish out and about in their horse-drawn whatsits. And the hat …. I have no words πŸ˜‰

My home turf…those are the back roads that I know and love, and connect me to my childhood home. And did you know that the Intercourse PA post office is one of the busiest small offices in the nation. So many visitors want that postmark on their mail ! Love the hat, George.

I didn’t know you were from there. Beautiful country, though the commercialization is out of control among route 30. But it’s still beautiful. Next time I go I’ll have to mail something from there..:)

5. roughwighting

I’ve experienced Intercourse in my past, when I went to college in PA. I loved visiting the Amish country, and eating their shoo fly pie. Back then, those t-shirts did not exist! Ah, is nothing sacred?? ;–0 πŸ™‚

lol…I’m sorry. I read your first line and just laughed.
      No, I don’t think there’s anything that someone won’t put on a t-shirt that will generate sales. Money is the only thing that is sacred for some..:)

6. The Coastal Crone

What fun in a beautiful country! Who could resist that black hat! Names of towns can provide unusual combinations. In South Texas there was a saying, “Salesman liked to stay in Ganada (a town) so that they could sleep between Edna (a town) and Louise (a town). Old joke, but I could not resist after your Intercourse experience.

7. Holistic Wayfarer

I’m vaguely from those parts. Went to Univ of PA.

If you’re not familiar, you have to look up the song Amish Paradise with the lyrics. T (age 10) has been rapping it. We get such a kick. I’m going to show him these photos tmrw. Fortunately, the latter part of the post will go over his head, as it won’t in a year or two.