Venting A Bit

Just a few miscellaneous venting thoughts to get back into the flow.

Comedy

I love going to good comedy shows and by good comedy I mean shows that are topical, creative and don’t need to throw out F words every few seconds, just because. I’m not a prude and I don’t mind a word here and there but if you’re really good, you can make people laugh using non explicit language.
The other thing I don’t understand is people who go to comedy shows and never laugh. They just sit there with a blank expression on their faces staring at the stage. I don’t get it. They  know where they are, who the comedians will be, and have a pretty good idea about what he or she might be speaking about. Everyone else is laughing hysterically and some people just sit there blankly. Can they be laughing internally? Nah, I don’t think so. I just don’t know why they bother to go. It’s a conundrum.

Disasters and Reporting

I never understand why reporters will cover a hurricane for 5-6 days before it gets there and leave a day later? Isn’t the story of recovery more important than scenes of weather people standing on sunny beaches days before the event or in 90 degree winds as it’s happening? Do we really need to see that to know how bad the conditions are?

MIssing

I read an article this past week that made me use some interesting words. There was a family who went into a corn maze in West Jordan, Utah. When they were done they all went home, except for one three year old boy who they forgot in the maze and didn’t realize he was missing until the next morning. The. Next. Morning.
People found him crying and upset at about 7:30 at night and while he could tell them the names of his brother, he couldn’t tell them his own name. So the authorities held him overnight and waited until someone came for him the next day. Sure enough some adults and ten children showed up to “claim him.”
How does that happen? How do you get into a car or put your children to bed at night and not notice a three year old is missing?

The Creep From Hollywood

The news has been filled with stories this past week about the sleaze bag who abused, raped, intimidated and tried to control women as part of his role as a movie maker/ studio head. I won’t use his name but you know who I mean. The guy’s a sick creep but what makes me just as sick is all the popular A List actors and actresses who have come out in the last week, covering their butts and providing statements that claim they never knew this was going on and how disgusted they are. What a joke. Hollywood is a fantasyland town that lives in gossip. Everyone knows everything about everyone else. But money, fame, status and careers trump decency. Everyone knew what this guy was doing but he made lots of people money, and had the power to make careers and also end careers. So they stayed silent. Turned away. In part because of money and in part because others in power have done the same thing for decades. So please don’t insult our intelligence by telling us you didn’t know. Please don’t say you’re disgusted and give an Oscar this past year to someone who has a history of sexual abuse and intimidation. That town and the people in it are detached from reality. They’re a joke. But the problem extends beyond Hollywood, into corporate America and other parts of life. Power and money are a toxic combination.
Where are the Hollywood telethons, documentaries, or expose stories on the abuse of women in the workplace? That’s something we’ll never see, in part because that town won’t reveal it’s own sins and in part because the press won’t want to bite the hand that feeds them. Sad.

58 thoughts on “Venting A Bit

1. delphini510

George, I feel like similar venting often. The one about comedy and disasters I have often wondered. The bored comedy visitor might just come as part of a group. The pre-disaster reporting seem to be an expensive exercise in building up fear and hysteria.
    The Missing would be funny if they had noticed earlier.

The protected and hidden abuse in film industries and work places is criminal. We have a lots of cases that has come to light the latter years which hopefully has helped.as there has been a number of convictions and wide spread investigations.

Among all this there are also good entertainers and broadcaster so let us smile too.

I agree that there are some good entertainers and journalists. I just don’t have much respect for he media or people in film at the moment. I guess I just hate being lied to, and those groups seem to spin that well.

2. Retirementallychallenged.com

All four are worthy rants, indeed. I hadn’t read about the family leaving their 3-year-old behind… wow! Maybe the other kids kept silent because, with ten mouths to feed, they figured more food for them. Amazing. And the whole men in power sex scandal – I have no words, other than disgusting, criminal, and disgraceful.

So much here, all worthy. I’ll comment on the lost child. I don’t have kids, I have cats. Every night we have a nose count before bed. It’s not that I will leave anyone at a corn maze but one might get locked in a closet or jump in a drawer. I can’t believe parents don’t do the same especially when there are so many kids it’s not an easy count.

That missing child in Utah, where it is built into the religion to have a baby a year, doesn’t surprise me somehow. Before “Home Alone”, I thought the movie’s premise so unbelievable, but somehow, the family travel stress made it work. This, on a recreational outing, and not knowing until the next day…no way !
    As for the mogul, we thought that the casting couch culture was a thing of the past. Shame on all of them for their silence, and most especially, on him, for his abuse of power. Ugly, all around. I think this story has legs.
    Great rant, George.

I thought the same thing about Home Alone but like you, I thought this was much different.
      The Hollywood thing is just disgusting and it will have legs if the media doesn’t squash it.

5. edgar62

Comedy: Yes I totally agree about the explicit language and it seem to be the norm here in Australia. For this reason and for the fact that I really –really don’t find them funny. I don’t bother. As for not laughing, well I was taken to a show in Glasgow many, many years ago and most of it was delivered in a broad Glasgow accent. Much of this I did not understand so it went over my head. Everyone – except me – was laughing.
    In the UK there was a powerful, famous man with powerful friends,. For years he was abusing children – even sick children in hospital. Nurses knew what he had done, but people were afraid to speak out – he was too well protected and he “got away with it” until he was dead. It was only then that things began to surface and then broke into a flood. They had to dig him up take the casket away to a secret location.

The fear of retaliation must be pretty intense for someone not to come forward and report these crimes. I can’t imagine being in these situations.

6. Andrew Reynolds

I with you on the disaster reporting. We have the fires happening here in NorCal, and I swear, every reporter gives the same report from in front of the same burnt out buildings. If you watch the coverage, you’d think that all burnt buildings look like the three they are in front of. 5,700 burned and they pick three to show.

7. joylovestravel

Good rant George – I agree on all counts. Stopped reading the news at the moment, too fed up with people now condemning the sleazy guy to cover themselves, just unbelievable. Losing the child and not realising – hadn’t heard about that but again unbelievable. Even walking in a maze I wouldn’t let a 3 year old out of sight.

Great rant George! I too, am baffled by those solemn people at a comedy show. Were they dragged there? Seriously! You bring up a great point in regards to reporting on national disasters, perhaps you could submit that suggestion to some of the major news networks! The missing child? WOW, I’ve got nothing🤔 Hollywood-pretty much speaks for itself.

I agree with all your points, George! Butt he one that got me the most was the people who didn’t notice a three-year old missing until the next morning. Sure, I can understand it taking a few minutes…anyone who supervises small children knows how scattered you can get….but I’m talking minutes, not hours and certainly not until the next morning. What happened at dinnertime and and bedtime? And a three year old is still in a car seat, so how could you not notice the empty car seat? I can only imagine the way that child is treated at home when he is obviously valued so little!

That ones just boggles the mind. I don’t know what kind of explanation they gave to the police but I would be concerned for the welfare of all the other children if this is how they take care of a three year old? How does that even happen, as you say, during dinner and bedtime? It’s incredible.

10. cordeliasmom2012

When I was a teenager, I went with my best friend and her family to a farm where they kept horses. It was a large family – 2 adults, 6 kids. At the end of the day, everyone piled into the car and before heading home, Mom counted heads (just like in Home Alone). We were halfway home before it was realized that they had counted ME instead of one of their own kids – and that kid was still back at the farm! But at least they turned around and didn’t leave her there until the next day. I really don’t understand how that can happen.

I was very excited to read your views on this post. I try to look up comics and find out what kind of humor they use. . . I have laughed my butt off at a great comedian’s act. I have also been stunned when someone said really crude (cruel, too) things, unexpectedly. I mentioned this as I left and the manager who happened to hear my complaint gave me a rain check. Sometimes it isn’t apparent how the comic will react or act in a unique setting.
    The child left behind is not funny. Maybe the one who usually tucks the kids in was only 8? I mean this would make me want to charge them!! Child endangerment.
    Weather people and newscasters aren’t always rocket scientists and business pays for their stories, maybe I believe in conspiracy theory! 😀

The left behind child is really something I just can’t understand. All the other stuff is disturbing or a little crazy but leaving a child behind overnight is beyond head scratching.

Very disturbing, George. Poor kid will be the “left behind kid” within family stories for years. . . I see him carrying this into his future. I mean he will remember this! Thanks, George. Good to hear rants from easy going people who have to let out a little. 🙂

12. deepasthoughts

You said it George. I respect comedians who can stay away from the F word and still do their job. Laughing internally at a comedy show? 🙂
    What did the child’s care takers have to say about not noticing his absence for so long? Its crazy.
    Power, money and fame, the cause of all acts of crime since time immemorial..

You’re right about power money and fame…it trumps all else. No pun intended..:)
      I just can’t get my arms around losing a three year old for that long. I just can’t think of a reason that makes any sense at all.

Thank you, and yes it is a problem that has permeated our society for much too long. After all this time, women are still afraid or intimidated to come forward. That says something about our culture and those in power. Very sad.

13. Miriam

It’s good to have a vent George. Must admit I don’t understand people who go to comedy shows and just sit they without laughing. I’ve seen a few too and I don’t get it. Reporters and disasters, yeah it’s crazy how much coverage the prelude gets, they just like to soak up the drama, like a bad C grade movie. And as for the creep from Hollywood, I haven’t been watching the news lately so I’ve missed this story, as well as the one about the missing 3 year old. All makes me feel a bit sick actually. What an artificial and yes sad world it can be.

14. Fourth Generation Farmgirl

I wholeheartedly agree with your rant. Apparently, common sense isn’t so common.

And, Hollywood, for the most part, lacks a moral compass. Which is ironic, especially since those folks frequently LOVE to weigh in on important moral issues…and wear silly hats on Inauguration Day (FYI—I’m no Trump fan).

You’re right, Tonya. Hollywood loves to play the moral police role but they never look inside their own lose. They’re great at pointing fingers but rarely accept responsibility for anything.