Not Today

I love Christmas. It’s one of my favorite holidays even though I think it’s been commercialized beyond what any sane person would consider reasonable. It makes rational people do irrational things.

So when I walked into a store the other day and the temperature was 82 degrees outside and the calendar still read summer and there were inflatable Christmas decorations playing Jingle Bells I felt it was time to draw the line.

So I took a quick look around and decided to pull the plug on Christmas. The inflated quickly deflated, the bells no longer jingled, and I walked away smiling.

It’s not time yet, people. It’s still summer and I refuse to allow anyone to cut a short season even shorter by pushing something onto me before I’m ready.  So this is a warning to all retailers. I’ll be watching. If I visit your store and you decide to be obnoxious about when you present your Christmas displays, then be prepared to re-inflate. If, of course, you can find the extension cord  I hid.

What? You thought I’d make it easy for you?

P.S. You see, this is why I shop at Amazon. I don’t have to deal with Jingle Bells before it’s time.

78 thoughts on “Not Today

1. Fourth Generation Farmgirl

Love it, love it, love it!! πŸ™‚ Thanks for the giggle, George. You’re exactly right! Christmas decorations making their debut when I still have tomatoes on the vine REALLY annoys me. I like your creative…and mischievous way of coping with this commercial nonsense. Next time I see a Christmas decoration before Halloween, I’m pulling the plug! πŸ˜‰

2. Osyth

I hug you from afar, George. Today is my birthday. It’s still September. People will still frenzy in December without marring the beauty of Autumn who only equinoxed today. If you need any extra snipers… I’m your girl πŸ˜‰

I’m glad it made you laugh when you needed it. I agree about the blowup, they just don’t work for me, especially when they’re laying flat on the lawn in a deflated state.

3. Edmark M. Law

In the Philippines, the Christmas season starts on “ber month”, i.e., September. They even have a 100-day countdown to Christmas at the end of the evening news.

If you are in the Philippines now, you’d see a lot of Christmas decorations and people selling Christmas-related merchandises. You may even hear people greeting Merry Christmas from time to time. The Filipinos pride themselves on having the “longest Christmas celebration in the world.”

I always find this practice strange. However, every time I point it out, they would say that “I just don’t get it.”

4. thechickengrandma

Thank you thank you!! You may be starting a trend here…at least I hope so. It was in the upper 90’s here today and humid also….not Christmas like at all. I would like to get past Thanksgiving before seeing anything Christmas. It might be a pipe dream but I can hope….or I can start pulling plugs…….

5. Susan - themoonlithowl

I agree! Christmas HAS become too commercialized. And, retailers basically allow it to totally smother Thanksgiving. And don’t even get me started on the greedy retailers who open on Thanksgiving Day for early Christmas shopping. I miss the days of my youth where you didn’t see a single Christmas decoration until the day after Thanksgiving. I miss the days of everyone having Thanksgiving Day as a holiday. We need to go back to that. But,…..um……I also love, love, LOVE Christmas decorations and could enjoy looking at them 365 days a year, so….I am a conundrum, I guess. πŸ˜€

I agree about the commercialization. I miss the ease into Christmas that I had when we were younger but those days aren’t coming back. But I can do my part about it not coming too soon..:)

I couldn’t agree more, although I wish I had your nerve in solving the problem….
    I love Christmas, but it is not supposed to be celebrated until after Thanksgiving! I don’t mind craft stores putting Christmas stuff out in the Fall, because it takes time to make your own decorations and ornaments (and much more talent and patience than I’ll ever have.) But I really don’t like it when they rush the season just for commercial gain. And don’t even get me started on stores that start playing Christmas carols the day after Halloween!

Playing Christmas carols the day after Halloween would be six weeks later than what was playing in this store. Just crazy. I think you can do it, Ann. You can pull the plug on early Christmas decorations. You just have to be in the right mood😊 Almost everything is is timing..:)

7. roughwighting

You got my blood pressure up at 6:30 in the morning here, when I just entered your blogging universe. Would you come over here and cut some cords also, deflate some balloons? I won’t even put a pumpkin out my front door until October 1 – I want to hang on to summer by the tips of my fingernails. One September, when my kids were still youngish and they insisted on going to the local five & dime store for some treat after school, we ran into a fake Christmas tree in the back corner filled with ornaments for sale. Oh, and next to it, a stack of Christmas cards. I asked for the manger, and then explained to her why this was NOT RIGHT and we weren’t teaching our children THE VALUE OF HOLIDAYS and instead making it all about commercialization. Most of the cards and ornaments were Hallmark, so she gave me the reps business card. She also told me they’d keep selling the stuff because people bought it — in September. I wrote to Hallmark. They sent me a nice ‘so sorry that’s the way it is letter’ – and a box of Christmas cards.

Ahhhh…. So you’re ready to rebel also. Actually, you’re beyond ready…:)
      You’re right, it is crazy. Crazy that it’s out and crazy that people choose to buy stuff now. Like it won’t be there when they’re ready to put it up in two months.
      Take care of that pressure😊

8. Create Space

I just had to check the date of your post because how would you have reacted if it was the 12th of AUGUST when you found Christmas decorations on sale? I was totally shocked and annoyed when I was shopping, last minute, for a few sunshine holiday bits and found Christmas!!

George, I’m with you!!
    I’m late to the party but happy to join the rebels With a Cause!!
    Preserving holidays is important, one holiday at a time. . .
    I prefer to handle October’s Halloween, then November’s Thanksgiving and on to Christmas afterwards.
    I have to say, most retail locations have their Halloween decorations and candy front of the store but they are sneaking the next couple into the middle of the store. Thank goodness, teachers keep children close to the correct seasons and not as likely to bring in holidays (but some skip holidays) until close to the dates. πŸπŸŒ»πŸ‚πŸ˜€