More Summer Thoughts

I keep thinking in snippets this summer, which shouldn’t surprise anyone who knows me these days. My attention span is limited and though I sometimes try to loosen the strings on it, it just keeps coming back. So anyway, here are a few thoughts.

Burgers

When was the fifteen dollar burger born and where the hell have I been hiding? Come on. It’s a slap of chop meat, after all. But I guess if you put it on a brioche roll with caramelized onions and aioli mayo, it begins to market itself. it sounds higher end, like a dive with tablecloths. This burger craze started about ten years ago when the market fell out and people wanted alternative places to go for dinner that were reasonably priced. But as with everything else, people always try to push the envelope to see just how much the public will tolerate. And it appears, at least with burgers, the carnivores are willing to pay the price. But it’s still a slab of chop meat on a roll dressed up for a cheap photo shoot date.

Home For Mom

Joan Lunden does commercials for a place called A Home For Mom. It’s a senior care referral service. As I watched the commercial, I began wondering what happened to Dad. Is there a different commercial for him? I never saw one. Do we not think Dad is going to need a place or do we figure he”ll figure it out on his own? That’s a scary thought. Statistics tell us that women live longer than men but to blatantly toss dad to the side of the road on these commercials is a bit harsh, don’t you think? I wonder what 75 year old Dad is thinking as he’s sitting across from Mom and finishing his second bowl of chocolate, chocolate chunk caramel ice cream and this commercial comes on. Just wondering.

Eclipse

I think the eclipse thing was interesting and if you were in certain parts of the country when it was full it must have been a cool experience. But I saw people interviewed who drove fourteen hours for the two minute blackout and estimated it would take them twenty hours to get home. I saw others who were crying at the experience. There were people who planned their trips and marriages around this, paid lots of money for hotel rooms, endured standstill traffic jams and didn’t get to see much because it was cloudy. I don’t know what to say about these people. I hope you’re not one of them but if you are I don’t know what to say about you people. If you really want to be entertained and don’t mind traveling. I can take you to the beach in New Jersey one day. There are sights and people there that will entertain you for hours. You don’t know what you’re missing.

Scouts Of America

Apparently there’s a feud brewing between the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts. It seems the Girl Scouts are upset because the Boy Scouts are trying to turn the tide on decreasing membership and decided to recruit girls for their organization. The Girl Scouts, of course were not amused. They referred to it as a “covert campaign” that was “reckless and unsettling.” The Boy Scouts argue that many millennial parents prefer their children be in the same organization and some girls have petitioned to join the ranks of the boys. Now I don’t know about you but I would never go to war against a woman. Men just aren’t properly equipped emotionally or intellectually to even be on the same dance floor as women so what makes anyone think this little battle will end up on the positive side of the ledger for the boys. That being said, it’s hard to argue for gender inclusion on one side of the coin but not on the other. I’m looking forward to a fun ten rounds, though I predict the knockout will come in round one.

Billie Jean

I was listening to Michael Jackson sing his hit song on the radio the other day and two lines reminded me of our politicians and those who blindly follow along.

And mother always told me be careful who you love
and be careful what you do ’cause the lie becomes the truth.

Have a great rest of your week and weekend. I’ll be working on my thoughts.

55 thoughts on “More Summer Thoughts

1. Ilona Elliott

Your Jersey beaches were a BIG news item on FB a few weeks back…CC getting a little R&R on his private little beach. I doubt he would dare to show up on a public beach these days. THAT I would love to see George. I’d even come to Jersey for that!

Fun post. Good observation in that last paragraph.

2. Anne Mehrling

I don’t think we would count as crazies for the eclipse. We were probably not more than 20 miles from home, and we didn’t let clouds get in the way. Some people were over the top, though. I was amused at your writing about the trend for expensive hamburgers and ignoring men’s needs for assisted living. And the scouts? That was hilarious. Please don’t rein in your thoughts too tightly. You are fun just the way you are.

3. samfiftysomething

😂 totally agree with the burger thoughts, the inventive ‘things’ they are serving food on these days amuse me too. I guess it’s a lot more expensive to eat chips (US French fries that is) out of a plant pot rather than on a plate 😂😂 love your thoughts!! Don’t hold back 👍

Thank you and yes, it does seem to have gotten out of hand a bit. That must be it..the plant pot must drive up the cost of the burger. It’s all in the presentation, right?😊

Your snippets are so amusing. I remember the first time seeing a $5. burger at Ground Round years ago and thinking…no way we will fall for this. I was so wrong. And that “place for mom”..never thought about the slight. Maybe it is assumed that Mom will always be there to care for Dad, but it surely doesn’t always happen that way.

Eclipse fever will return, 2024, to the east coast…get ready.

Good stuff here, George !

Thank you, Van. Like you, I remember the 2.00 burger which included fries and dessert..:)
      Yeah, my guess is people are already booking hotel rooms for the next eclipse. It’s crazy..:)

loved this George- yes, the NJ beaches are quite entertaining, and I’m with you in not understanding all the craziness with the eclipse. I sat in my kitchen reading blogs until it was over. If you get channel 12 there’s also a commercial for buying a cemetery plot that has 2 women too. The men are on their own I guess. And yes, the lie becomes the truth- 45 read to a crowd what he said omitting his line about many sides, I have returned to not watching the news and checking the headlines, it is just too upsetting. Thanks for the humor, needed it!

6. roughwighting

More of us should have meandering thoughts like yours. They are wise while being funny – even if those who pay $15 for a burger and drive 20 hours to see (or not see) the sun for 3 seconds may not think it’s funny. I do. I think you should write to Joan Lunden and ask her if the fathers are kept in a special room. Maybe a room reserved for aged Boy Scouts who tried to disagree with the Girl Scouts.

Oh George, I so enjoyed your random thoughts today! I think if any of us actually stopped to write down our thoughts over the course of a day, it would all sound very similar! Have a wonderful day!

I’ve been the same way, Lynn. The summer has taken me away but I’m sure the colder weather will bring us back..:) Though I wouldn’t mind if summer stayed a while longer..:)

8. thechickengrandma

This was a great read this morning! Already made my day. I have also, always wondered about dad in those commercials! I remember seeing it the first time and looking at my husband and asking “What about dad? Doesn’t dad need to go somewhere? Who’s gonna tell him which shirt matches his pants?” (I was thinking of my own dad on that last question!)
    On the eclipse…too rainy where I was and wasn’t gonna travel miles to go where it was clear. I will survive without having seen it firsthand.
    That boy scout thing….I just shake my head.
    Keep those thoughts coming George!

I love your thoughts, George! The world gives us so much to ponder these days, doesn’t it? As for the “gourmet burgers,” I couldn’t agree more. It’s ground beef on a patty, and it was invented as a cheaper alternative to steak. We don’t need it all dolled up with fried eggs, fancy sauces and weird buns just so they can double the price.
    And I admit I enjoyed the eclipse, because I was able to watch it from my mom’s front yard, where I would have been stopping by to visit her anyway. Why anyone would pay a ton of money and drive great lengths to see it is beyond me. I’m just glad that we didn’t get the traffic jams they were predicting because of all the people who drove to our area to see it!
    Have a great week!

Thank you, Ann. Strangely I don’t like steak but love a good burger once in a while. I just don’t see how the price got out of control but it is what it is.
      Glad you enjoyed the eclipse with your mom. It want much if one here; I think only 70%. The sky looked like it was getting ready to rain but nothing unusual. But what I saw of some places on tv, it looked pretty cool. Still…that was a lot of hype..:)

10. Andrew Reynolds

$15 burgers make me feel old. What happened to the place down by the train tracks where you could get a bag of 5 burgers for a buck? Two bucks with drinks and fries. Also, remember when $15 would get top sirloin steaks with all the trimmings plus a beer? These days, $15 is just for the first beer.

And what happened to dad? Well, he saw the ad, suggested to mom that she could get a home there. She reacted badly and now only mom needs a home as dad has a more, um permanent address.

11. JT Twissel

I like your random snippets. Summer is the time for random thoughts that’s for sure. We missed the eclipse here entirely – overcast. So we made a peach pie from scratch instead. I don’t understand the home instead thing – my mother did that for a while and it was a disaster – now she’s perfectly happy in her retirement village with her buddies and no house repair issues. No worries at all except which entree to have for her dinner.

We think a lot alike. When did burgers get so big too? Half pound is considered small these days. I remember when that was 2 big burgers. Yikes. No wonder American waistlines are ever expanding. As for the eclipse, I didn’t get it either. It was a dud here. I’m in the 80% range and we’ve had storms when it got darker. Perhaps Girls/Boy Scouts could unite. Wouldn’t that be the eternal fight! Think on!

13. Wendy

$15 burgers…..oh my. I didn’t stop for the eclipse, it was cloudy, but I saw some cool pics. I don’t like to follow the crazies over the cliff. What a strange world we live in today.

Enjoyed waking up this morning and reading this, George. It all makes sense. I agree the solar eclipse was very anti-climactic. Glad I didn’t go crazy about it as some did. Please keep the snippets coming!

15. Retirementallychallenged.com

We had an Eclipse-Lite here (just 56%). Still it was kind-of fun… for a few minutes at least. I know someone who has witnessed many, many eclipses all over the world. He spends big bucks and has a ton of pictures of the various ones he has seen (not sure how he tells them apart 🙂 ). Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

16. Kyle Moore

I’m pretty sure that’s why McDonald’s reinvented themselves and tries to emulate more of a Panara-esk cafe restaurant with higher prices. The inflated burgers don’t sell like the coffee does.

I’m confused about many things, including where these prices will eventually end up. However, what has gone up doesn’t usually come down…:)