Three Thoughts About Music

I was a pretty big star when I was 12 or 13 years old but I never like to talk about it.

Lead singer to a pretty popular group.

The reason I keep it to myself is because no one knew about it but me. You see, I’ve always loved all kinds of music. Well, almost all kinds. Gangsta rap never really appealed to me. Too violent.
Anyway, I used to visit record stores several times a week and had a pretty good collection of 45’s. Used to play them all the time. Even today, fifty years later, I can sing those songs word for word even though I can’t tell you what I had for breakfast yesterday.

When I put those records on and stood in front of my bedroom mirror with a brush in my hand I was THE MAN. It didn’t matter that I couldn’t/can’t carry a tune or sing a lick. What was happening in my mind and imagination was much bigger.

You should have been there. I was a sight to see.

Second thought..

I always though DJ”s had a pretty cool job when I was younger. I realize now it was a tough life but back then they were the voices that connected me to music and I hung on their words. So naturally, guess who wanted to be a DJ? When I was 17 or 18 I bugged my father enough times about it that he took me to this local broadcasting school that was giving free auditions to see if you had talent. I didn’t know it at the time but it was just a ploy to get you to into the building and register for their courses. My father understood but he never let on and indulged my dream.
I got to sit in a sound booth and read from scripted sheets introducing products and making small talk. The coolest part was actually introducing a song called Games People Play by Joe South. If I remember right it won a Grammy for Song of the Year back in 68 or 69. After it was over, they let me listen to my “audition.” They told me I had potential but they were just feeding the itch. Besides, there was still high school to finish. Still, it was an experience I never forgot.

Games People Play is a protest song. I know…shocking for the 60’s. But its words still resonate today. Hatred, hypocrisy, discrimination. It’s all there. Almost fifty years later and it’s still with us.

Finally…

I was listening to a station on Sirius radio and the DJ was talking to someone who called in and said he was from South Detroit. So the DJ naturally mentioned the song Don’t Stop Believing by Journey. When the caller said he never heard the song or knew of the group, the Dj was floored. He kept asking him over and over again if he was mistaken and even played a clip of the song which mentions South Detroit to see if he would recognize it, but he didn’t. I don’t know who was more surprised, the DJ or me. I thought everyone knew that song.
I was standing on a line at Epcot several years ago and the song came on. One person started singing the lyrics out loud and within seconds everyone on line was singing. Pretty cool moment.
It was also my youngest daughter’s first dance song at her wedding. It’s a classic and this guy never heard of it or the group, Journey.

So as a public service to anyone out there who hasn’t heard the song and Steve Perry’s incredible rock voice, here’s one of my all time favorite songs. Enjoy!

66 thoughts on “Three Thoughts About Music

I hope we’re remembering the important stuff. If not I hope there’s someone around to remind us if we aren’t.😊
      Awesome is a good word for that group.

1. Manja Mexi Movie

That’s some intro. I don’t know you enough not to fall for it. 😉 But I do know both songs, even though the first more than the second. I had my DJ moment at a disco event too, there was some sort of contest. It was for “Montego Bay”. Funny what we choose to remember… I think I was recalled for the finals but I’d split by then, friends told me later. 😀

DJ George…has a nice ring to it..it’s never too late ??? I remember Games People Play..pretty timeless lyric. And since the finale of The Sopranos, I never hear that Journey song quite the same way.

Love this George- and can’t believe someone didn’t know the song “Don’t Stop Believing” !! I love that everyone on line started singing! Have you seen this video of a crowd in London waiting for a Green Day concert all singing Bohemian Rhapsody? It was playing before the show and the crowd started singing! https://youtu.be/cZnBNuqqz5g

4. thechickengrandma

I cannot believe someone in their 60’s didn’t know that song! I may not know who sings every song but I know a lot of the words. My husband is our music genius with oldies…..he knows them all, words and who sings them.

5. Almost Iowa

There is something about music… My mother suffers from advanced Alzheimer disease. She does not know where she is, she does not know who she is – but she can remember the words and melody of every song she ever learned. When we see her, if she is having a good day, we sing together – and she smiles.

6. laura bruno lilly

Okay, I like how we can access music of all types easily via the internet, youtube, etc…but I’m wondering if all these ‘craft your own playlists’ formats limit exposure to the ever growing, evolving playlist of our lives and times. The radio was a great ‘leveler’ of dissemination of popular music. Since it is fragmented now, well, I’m not surprised ‘Journey’ is overlooked by listeners. If this happens to ‘Journey’ what about Jose Feliciano, or Canned Heat or ????
    😉

That’s a very interesting point. I never thought about it in that say but it’s true and the possibility it becoming more fragmented grows stronger every day. It’s a depressing thought.

This post brought back so many good memories! Stacks of records, later albums, that we treasured and played over and over. And yeah, I thought DJ’s were the coolest thing ever too, even though I wasn’t brave enough to try to be one. (In my defense, in those days they were all male, at least the ones I heard.)
    As for Don’t Stop Believing, I’m not sure where that guy has been living that he hasn’t heard it. And what a great song for your daughter’s wedding!
    Thanks for a fun post, George!

Thanks, Ann. I never gave much thought to the fact that the DJ’s were all male but I guess that was a sign of those times. I guess MTV helped in that regard. So strange how we take things for granted now and sometimes forget how they were on so many levels.
      I’m not sure where that guy was living either. I’m still floored by the conversation several days later..:)

8. Hugh's Views and News

More great thoughts, George. Yes, I’ve heard of Don’t Stop Believing, but I often get surprised when people say they don’t know a song that has been a worldwide hit. However, saying that, it can happen that a song isn’t as popular in one country as it is in others. However, i don’t think that applies to ‘Don’t Stop Believing’.

I was a DJ back in the late ’80s and early ’90s in London, and I really enjoyed it. I saw myself as being in charge of the dance-floors all over London. I was known as ‘The Lamb’. But, that’ s another story.

9. Book Club Mom

Music triggers so many memories, especially from our younger days. I was in a band like yours too and continued my career with my college roommates, belting out songs in our dorm rooms, using curling irons as microphones. And as a side note, I’m shocked that not everyone knows the words to Don’t Stop Believin’!

10. TheMoonLitHowl

Honestly, as much as Journey is played on the radio, still, it is hard to fathom anyone above the age of ten, doesn’t know a Journey song! I love music, though, like you, not rap. It is wonderful how just one song can take us back to a special moment in time. So many songs are connected to events in my life – good and bad. There have been many studies shown that music, unlike anything else, can reach Alzheimer’s patients, and many others, in nursing homes. It stimulates memories held within. And,….as I comment here, “Don’t Stop Believing” just came on the radio. I kid you not!

Lol…isn’t that ironic that it’s playing while you’re writing. You’re right, it’s hard to believe no one has heard that song and the effect that music has in our lives, even as we age…:)

I loved the Joe South song and was 13-14 when it won! Games People Play has meaningful lyrics and has a beautiful melody, George.
    I love and turn up to loud, Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believing!” I am like you, surprised and “appalled” that a (self-respecting) South Detroit man of any age wouldn’t know this song. 😊Great choices! 🎶🎵

12. candidkay

Jealous of your Epcot moment. Love that! And you know, some of the finest singers never venture beyond their shower or bedroom mirror. I, for one, kill it with a spatula when making Sunday morning pancakes. I think even the dog covers her ears:).

13. ReclaimingMySanity

It astounds me that the person didn’t know the journey song! People consider me young still (I am 27), but I know a lot of music older than I am. In fact, I prefer to listen to “the oldies”. I love all music, but a lot of the new stuff coming out sounds the same. I can thank my grandparents for having impeccable taste 🙂 Great post!

I agree about the Journey song. Hard to miss that one all these years..:)
      It allografts your grandparents did well by you musically. Glad to hear your an oldies fan..:)

14. roughwighting

Didn’t Bill Clinton use “Don’t Stop Believing” as his campaign song? And I think they played it during the inauguration balls? I don’t like classics like these songs – the goodies – used for commercials or campaigns. Takes away from their message and the flavor of whatever the words imply.
    I understand your dream of being in a great music group. Did you know I was a back-up singer for the Beatles? Yup. For years…. ;-0

Bill Clinton’s song which they played at the convention at at his inauguration was Don’t Stop Thinking About Tomorrow by Fleetwood Mac. I always liked that song but, like you, I
      don’t like when they politicize
      music.
      I thought I remember seeing you singing backup for the Beatles during some of their concert clips..:)

15. Miriam

Oh, I had to laugh at this, especially at the thought of you singing into a brush. It so reminded me of when I was about 12 and I’d sing in front of the mirror with the broom as s microphone, imagining I was Agnetha from Abba. I love Don’t Stop Believing too. Fun post. 🙂

16. Michael Christensen

Enjoyed your post! It’s amazing how music and lyrics can get imprinted in your mind and you can recall them many years later. I love it when songs from years ago still carry meaning today! Don’t Stop Believing is one of my all time favorites! Hard to believe someone didn’t know it!

You’re right, Michael. Music has the power to transport you to another place and time.
      I find it hard to believe that anyone who listens to music doesn’t know that song, considering its popularity in recent years. Thanks for reading and commenting.

17. masinas

I’m not a fond of hip-hop or rap nowadays because all they sing or rap about is sex, drugs, and money. It’s sickening to hear and I feel like going deaf now because of it. I’m more of a seventies and eighties type of person. They have a real meaning and that’s the world needs to hear, not “f**k bitches, get money” (excuse my language).