Random Thoughts

I know I haven’t posted much in the last few weeks, but summer is like that for me. My mind tends to go on vacation because it’s not being paid enough to stay and play. Still, I’ve been thinking and reading about things during those times where I force my brain to function and I thought I’d share them with you before I forget what I was planning on writing, which seems to happen with some frequency these days. I know most of you can relate.

So here it goes…

People Watching

While I’ve always enjoyed people watching, (and sometimes eavesdropping), trying to figure out       who these people are, what they’re doing and what kind of relationship they’re in; I’ve found that it’s infinitely more enjoyable to people watch when you’re having ice cream. The whole experience gets taken up several notches and because ice cream is such a pleasant experience I tend not to be as harsh in my assessments even when big doses of harsh are warranted.
That being said, I sometimes shake my head at how scary crazy some of these people are and when I see them walk away and get into the driver’s seat of a car I seriously consider giving up my car or moving to a place where horses or golf carts with a max speed of 15 MPH are the only form of transportation.

Easy A’s

I read recently that nearly half of this country’s 2016 graduating class are A students even though their average SAT scores fell from 1026 to 1002. However, grade inflation is not only on the rise in high schools. Apparently the most popular grade in colleges nationwide is an A. In fact, close to 50% of all college grades given are A’s, very different from two decades ago when the average GPA at a four-year college was 3.11.
I wonder what happens when these young people enter the work force and realize they have to work much harder to keep their jobs then they did to maintain their grades. The system is not doing them any favors.

Value

I also read recently that a Dad’s value in 2017 has risen to $26,125, a 28% increase from six years ago when it was $20, 415.
Of course before you men out there get a little puffy in the chest as you sometimes do, take note that a mothers value totaled a record $67, 619.
Interesting how the most important job a person can have is recognized and analyzed and calculated but not paid out. The work force, however, has very different standards and values associated with a woman’s unequal worth to men.
The inequities are shameful.

Whisper

During one of people watching moments, I sat and listened at a parent yelling at their children for not doing something they were told to do. The children did not seem at all fazed by this public outburst and I was reminded of something I heard a while back. Don’t yell at your children. Get real close to them and whisper. It’s much scarier.
Why parents don’t follow that simple rule is beyond me. But i don’t really mind. It makes people watching much more enjoyable.

Tipping

I always tip fairly. Whenever we go out to eat I almost never tip less than 20%, sometimes more.  You’d have to drop a meal in my lap and a bowl of soup on my head to give you less and even then, I’d feel bad short-changing  someone. Having been a server before, I understand how tough a job it is.
But it seems everywhere I go now there is a tip jar on the counter. People want tips for simply taking my money, giving me change or a piece of paper to sign a credit card slip. What’s they all about? I can’t get a loaf of bread at the bakery with a tip jar staring at me. I used to feel guilty if I didn’t put something in, now I tend not to notice them anymore. I keep waiting to find a jar at the doctor’s office or a bank. I might lose it then.

Education?

Finally, (no cheering please), there is a school district in Texas that approved by a 6-0 vote to allow corporal punishment by way of a paddle when students misbehaves at school. Of course parents have to opt in or out of the policy at the beginning of the school year. In addition to Texas, seven other states allow for corporal punishment, including Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi and Tennessee.
I don’t think I need to comment on this item. The information speaks for itself. You are free to form your own opinions and comment as you like.

Well, that just about wore me out. I think I’ll go get my beauty rest and try to recover with an ice cream cone.

See you soon!

62 thoughts on “Random Thoughts

1. Anne Mehrling

I love your idea of people-watching while eating ice cream.

As to tip jars, I laughed at the idea of seeing them in banks or in doctor’s offices. I want your blog to be outrageously successful, but I hope no doctor or banker reads that paragraph.

2. Retirementallychallenged.com

Love your summer thoughts! Those tip jars drive me nuts too. Even more crazy-making are the places that use iPads as cash registers. When you swipe your card to pay for a pre-made sandwich and drink (that you’ve picked up yourself out of the refrigerated reach-in), they’ll swivel the tablet around for you to indicate a tip… 15%, 20% or 25%… while they are standing right there watching you. Yikes! It’s hard to hit the “no tip” button, but I’ve learned to be brave.

Ice cream makes everything better. And I’m laughing at your observations…especially the tip jar at the Dr. office…we’ll be looking for it, any time now. Thanks, George. Good to see you back, but we all are “posting light” lately. It’s in the air.

4. Edmark M. Law

As someone living in Hong Kong, finding a spot where you won’t see any people is hard. One tends to see lots of people here. So people watching in HK can get old very fast. Though I agree that it’s interesting at times.

I know several hiring managers and all of them told that recent graduates like to brag about their academic performance as their best quality… they can do a lot better than that. While being excellent academically is good, it will not guarantee that you will be hired.

In Hong Kong, the salary gap between males and females is subtly increasing. This is most prevalent in sales, management and finance-related industries.

One time, I heard a woman yelling at her child for getting 98% on a math exam. The entire situation looked so ludicrous.

You are generous. Most people these days (at least in HK) won’t bother with giving tips.

I wanted to say how in the world were they ever “legalized” it but with so many ridiculous laws in the US, it wasn’t really that surprising. It’s sad…

Ivan understand how people watching can get old there and watching a child get yelled at for a 98 is crazy. It just seems that the system is getting watered down a bit and I’m not sure why.
      Really? No tipping in HK? Has it always been that way?

1. Edmark M. Law

I feel bad for the children of HK today, I really do… since they have to endure a lot of these BS.

Many years ago, people were actually generous, too generous even. When my father was working as a cook during his younger years, he told my that the tips he received were often larger than his salary (all the workers in the restaurant from waiters to cooks shared the tips). For example, there was a time when a group of people gave them a tip of 35000 HKD (their bill was around 2500 HKD) just because they liked the food. His seniors told him that they received much larger tips back then. So the trend is clear. Now, many people like to pay the exact amount to not be obliged to have the waiter to keep the change.

The tip thing drives me crazy. At my pizza shop I go to the counter and order cafeteria style, stand there until it’s heated up (they pre-made the pizza early in the morning). I put it in my tray and carry it to a table that I probably have to clean myself before sitting there. Yet there is a tip jar. Really?

That’s a great collection of observations, George! I love to people-watch, too, and try to speculate on where people are going and what their relationship with each other is. Plus, sometimes if you sit quietly enough (ice cream is so easy to eat quietly), you can hear some amazing conversations!
    As for the “A’s,” I agree: it’s the result of every parent wanting their kid to be the best, and every school wanting to be the best, and so it goes. Soon straight A’s will mean nothing anymore, and what’s the point?
    And I’m right with you on tipping. We are very generous in restaurants (I was a server once too), but I don’t feel like I should have to tip someone for checking me out. Isn’t that their job? I think tip jars shouldn’t be allowed…. Dang, I’m getting cranky. Time for ice cream!!!

7. blondieaka

Tips..Come and live here…But the one place guaranteed to get a tip…even for a FREE service is our local immigration office…That man has the power to not stamp my visa….so we all tip him his little jar has grown to a big box…and his little car is now a Merc…….

8. Andrew Reynolds

So if this is random thought day, can I just leave random comments? You know that you could add an electronic tip jar to your blog – why lose it when you could be making a dollar a week? Ice cream. Yeah, I like ice cream too. Sadly, I can’t eat it anymore, upsets my tummy. Last question: did you ever stop to think and then forget to start again? That’s me this week. Enjoy summer.

An electronic tip jar for a blog… What a brilliant idea!!😊
      I understand about ice cream upsetting. I’m lactose intolerant do I have to eat it while chewing lacy aid pills and keep it in moderation which really stinks but it works.
      I never realized how much I forgot to start thinking again until you reminded me. Wait… What was it you reminded me about again?..:)
      Thanks for the random thoughts.😊

Loved this post George! I love people watching too- especially with ice cream. So true about the whispering, it really gets their attention, screaming is like white noise. Thanks for the chuckle- and the truth!!

10. Saddles To Shorelines, and Life as it Comes

An entertaining post. I also enjoy people watching but I prefer it with coffee, only because ice cream doesn’t like me anymore.
    The school grading systems ruffles me in a hurry. A couple years ago in the news there was a story about a teacher being fired because they failed a student. The student hadn’t done the required work, but the parents claimed it was traumatizing and unfair to their child to receive that mark. All I can say to that is, “Really. Tell that to their boss one day and see how well it goes over. 😦 “

The grading system is is trouble and it’s because of ignorant parents like the one you describe that teachers are leaving the profession and school systems have no backbone.

11. aginggracefullymyass

My head is spinning – to many deep thoughts in one post! Each one could be it’s own post. And I love the states in which corporal punishment is legal. They all rank so very high on a national level for quality of their educational system – NOT. According to The Education Week Research Center, they are all in the bottom 40%. I’m just sayin’….

12. candidkay

Oh boy. So much to comment on! I’ll limit myself:). First, the tipping. I agree. I waited tables for a summer and it truly is hard work–so I tip well. But if you are serving me coffee out of a window, do I need to tip you? It seems excessive. Can’t we just pay a living wage instead? And the A thing. Both of my boys were not held back. They are almost a year younger than most of their classmates. When other parents ask me why, I ask them why they chose to hold their child back. And the answer is rarely “he wasn’t ready.” It’s usually along the lines of “to give him an advantage.” My kids are used to working hard. I think I did them a favor!

I don’t know when this tipping thing started but I must have been sleeping when it did because it just started happening.
      Your boys will be much better off for working hard and not being handled with kid gloves. These other young people are going to have a rude awakening one day. Ready or not.

13. Hugh's Views and News

You may not have posted much lately, but there’s a heck of a lot of thinking and thoughts going on, George. People watching is something I think many writers enjoy doing. Even when out walking our dogs, I can’t help but listen into conversations and then wonder what the beginning and end of the story are. Just yesterday I overheard two women talking as they walked by. The words were –
    “Yes, Sheila said they are all going out, but I didn’t know anything about it.”
    “They are going out and haven’t told you? I thought Sheila didn’t like going out.”
    “I know. What’d you think is going on?”

That’s all I heard, but it got my mind racing for the rest of the walk.

Keep on listening and enjoying the ice cream.

Oh how I wish I had a cone and those women to entertain me. Now I’m curious about Sheila. I bet we can write a story about the rest of that conversation. 😊

1. Hugh's Views and News

I’m sure we could, George. I heard another one today from two senior ladies sat on a park bench.

“So, she went back to the hospital to have the plaster-cast removed.”
        “She broke it?”
        “Her arm, yes, but not the plaster-cast.”
        “Oh!”
        “But you’ll never believe what they found when they removed the plaster-cast.”
        “Did somebody lose a ring or watch while applying the plaster-cast?”
        “No.”
        “I give up then.”
        “They found no arm.”
        “What? Well, they wouldn’t have would they, if it wasn’t there in the first place!”

I did to start logging all of these. 😀

14. TheMoonLitHowl

Oh that terrible, awful, mean grading thing! A few years back when I was working for a state department in South Carolina, I was supposed to train one of our part time college student employees on how to scan documents into the system. It wasn’t hard work, but it was boring. That said, it needed to be done, and we had tons and tons of documents to be scanned. You should have seen her face when I gave her a ONE INCH thick stack of documents to scan one morning. It clearly said, “What??? I have to scan all of that?!?!” I had to work hard not to laugh. Of course, it didn’t help that other women working in the office were equally horrified. The poor child had to do all of that?!?! These women, obviously, had never scanned documents before in their life or else they would have known this was nothing. Regardless, she was a college student, looking to earn money in college. How about just do the work and be happy you have the work?!?!
    By the way, …………. Hello George! I’ve missed you and your blogs. The MoonLit Howl is officially back as of today. 🙂 And, I should tell you about the conversation I overheard yesterday…..or….maybe I will just blog about it sometime. 😉

I’m not sure but I really wrote a response to this post, George.
    I have been a server and not that long ago, I was paid less than $4 an hour. When I was rolling silverware, sweeping the floor and making iced tea for this big franchised country restaurant, I didn’t make tips. So nice when people realize this, as you mentioned so kindly. Thanks from all those servers out there! 😊
    I leave tips at the coffee shop for the barrista and I leave tips at the ice cream shop since most of the kids working there go to school or college. 🍦🍨🍧

I agree…servers usually work very hard. At better restaurants they don’t do too badly but those are the exceptions. We should remember and be considerate.

16. roughwighting

I love your summer time meanderings. Lots to add to them, but I’ll just say this. I NEVER yelled at my kids. But I spoke softly enough that they listened – closely. They say now that they dreaded ‘the quiet talk.” 😉