Ignorance On Steroids

Ignorance always seems to find a season. It never seems to max out, regardless of how bizarre the situation might be. There are always people willing to do something that some moron decided might be a good idea.

A few days ago I read an article about a game show in the Netherlands where male contestants were asked to guess whether woman on the show are fat or pregnant.

Really.

This is the same game show that asked contestants last year to guess whether a person was Japanese or Chinese, and in another segment, whether a woman’s breasts were real.

I have a pretty broad sense of humor but I didn’t think this was funny. It was simply dumbed down sensationalism at it’s worst.

I decided not provide the name of the show because I don’t want to give it any more publicity than it has already received. But as I thought about it, I wondered who I should be most upset with. The producers for financially supporting this show? The station for putting it on the air? The viewing public for watching? The advertisers? I mean there is a sufficient about of blame to go around here.
But the bottom line is, you don’t have a show if no one agrees to participate. If people who were paid to appear on it had a shred of sensitivity, decency or self worth, this or any show like it, would never find air time and maybe we wouldn’t still be having misogynistic or discriminatory discussions.

But it seems like many people have a price, and that number is not very high. My guess is it’s just a little north of their IQ.

72 thoughts on “Ignorance On Steroids

1. edgar62

Let me see — it’s rude, crass, aimed at the moronic and the unintelligent, it’s cheap, reality stupidity- sounds just about right to join the rest of the garbage, mindless reality shows on Australian Television. It’s not American, but I guess the producers can live with that. Oh Dear…

Some American realty shows fit the descriptions you mention but I don’t know any that took it to this level. Your description is pretty right on.

2. V.J.

I don’t begin to understand the humour of the younger set – so much of it feels inappropriate – however; comedy like most art forms confronts society. It seems to me many of the comedic shows geared for the younger set make fun of political correctness. When I was a teen, Monty Python made me laugh till I cried; my parents did not understand. There is an interesting documentary series on this phenomena on CNN entitled “The History of Comedy”.
    As an aside, do you ever feel your self becoming irrelevant as the distance between old values and modern outlooks seems to grow? (Too much about me, maybe; I think it’s an age thing.)

Good points, VJ. Insulting or distasteful humor has been around forever and for comedians there are no boundaries. Everything is on the table. Maybe I’m being hypocritical but I can take most things from comedians though I can do without the language sometimes. And you’re right, comedy does confront society and I think that’s a good thing. I just think this and the Japanese/ Chinese shows were in a different class and looking for more than a laugh.
      Your comment about feeling distanced and irrelevant is also interesting. I don’t know when it began happening or how I got here but there are times I feel exactly as you describe. It’s definitely an age thing..:)
      Thanks for the comments.

I wonder too. But then it scares me so I stop when I think about these people getting behind the wheel of a car or voting or any number of things that might cross my life.

I have to agree with you, George. There has to be a very high level of lack of self-worth to participate in these shows – unless large sums of money are being given…or a desire for the 15 minutes of fame is so great, degradation is a small price. As for the viewers, there will always be that crowd of rubber-neckers craning to see….

George, I couldn’t agree more. There are many shows on television these days where the question of IQ is a valid one. What I find more disturbing is the fact that people watch them!

That is a new low, and it makes me a little afraid of the future! We have turned absolutely everything into either a contest or a spectator sport, and human dignity is being sacrificed in the process. Like you, I don’t know who I blame most. But what is sad beyond words is that they can find people so desperate for attention (or perhaps money, if they are paid?) that they will sign up for shows that humiliate them this way. Dear God, it’s as if our society is getting stuck in the mentality of a grade school playground, with the focus on the bullies.

Lack of human dignity is a great way to describe it, Ann. I guess humiliation doesn’t matter for some people. Give them a few bucks and fifteen minutes of fame and they’re all over this stuff. Makes you wonder about what comes next. And at what price and cost.

6. smilecalm

After living in Amsterdam a couple years
    I quite sure that the average Dutch person
    is considerably more educated, open-minded & worldly than Americans.
    They receive new sources & entertainment from all over the world.
    While I would not find this show entertaining
    I imagine for some it is quite a parody, like our mad magazine,
    for living in these completely absurd times.

I have no doubt that the Dutch might be more educated and open minded on many levels than Americans. But education doesn’t translate into intelligence, good taste or sensitivity, as evidenced by these shows, which the Dutch in their wisdom decided to ultimately remove. I suppose even they have their limits…:)

7. Sheila Moss

I’ve never seen this show and I’m glad you didn’t give the name. I might be tempted to watch it just to see how dumb it is. There are a number of them on the game channel that might give it a run for the money, though.

I am one who sometimes wishes movies had less raunchy or stupidity; but on my own TV don’t watch these kinds of things which I stumble upon more than five minutes!
    Great post to keep my mind baffled on water to work, George!
    Happy mid-week to you! ๐Ÿ™‚

9. aginggracefullymyass

As one who doesn’t watch reality TV (or much TV at all), it’s hard to believe that people spend time, such a limited resource in all of our lives, giving their attention to something as inane as this. Seriously? As PT Barnum said, “There’s a sucker born every minute…” And I’m pretty sure it’s not exclusive to the US!

George, this is precisely why I seldom watch TV and got rid of all but basic cable (my husband fought me on this, but somehow I won out by touting Netflix and Amazon Prime Video). It’s scary how many folks like this kind of realty and crude crap. Doesn’t say much for our culture. I guess it’s the brainwashing of American society via TV.

11. sportsattitudes

George, I did hear about that Netherlands game show’s recent “theme” from a couple of incredulous radio dj’s. I think what passes for a large portion of entertainment these days only gets more strange and crude across the globe. The dumbing down of the world. You’d think as our planet got older we’d get smarter. You’d think…

You’d think. Hit you’re right about the world getting smarter. Unfortunately intelligence and common sense don’t always match up as one would think.
      As an aside, are you happy with your schedule for next season?

1. sportsattitudes

It is certainly one thing to know your team’s opponents but then see how the league lays it all out isn’t it? The Giants have the least enviable schedule with a quarter of their games against teams having byes (agree?). With the Eagles in the same division it is a bit hard to complain, although both teams will be logging serious miles as well. Last season Philly had to play three straight games against teams coming off byes – including two road games against division opponents. If the Eagles were better (!) it would look more do-able but I think they have a tough road ahead in 2017. Philly will likely get off to a rough start…and could have a rough finish as well. The middle of the schedule is where I think they’ll need to put together a decent winning streak to get to .500.

I agree…seeing it all later out is interesting. Sometimes I wonder the schedule makers were thinking.
        We always try to anticipate what the wins and losses will be but it rarely plays out that way, doesn’t it๐Ÿ˜Š

12. Fourth Generation Farmgirl

Great post! I don’t watch regular T.V. anymore. I either watch Public Television or a film. Reality television shows are cheap to produce, and in my opinion, tend to attract the lowest common denominator. I think the crudeness and disrespect often showcased on this kind of “entertainment” is contributing to an inconsiderate and uncivil society by normalizing distasteful behavior….just for ratings. Okay—I’m getting off my soapbox now. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I’m with you, Tonya. I watch very little tv but not much and nothing related to reality. That’s just dumbed down to the lowest common denominator IMHO.
      The soapbox is always available for you๐Ÿ˜Š