Meet The Beatles

“We were driving through Colorado, we had the radio on and eight of the top ten songs were Beatles songs.,, I Want To Hold Your Hand, all the early ones. They were doing things nobody was doing. Their chords were outrageous, just outrageous, and their harmonies made it all valid. I knew they were pointing in the direction of where music had to go.”
Bob Dylan

For most people, there is no middle ground with these four guys. Either you like their music or you don’t. Not many people are indifferent. Regardless of what you feel about them or their music, it’s impossible to ignore the impact they had on the music industry, and in many ways, the world.

unknown

February 7, 2017 will  mark the 53rd anniversary of their first visit to America, where they broke all kinds of television records when they appeared on Ed Sullivan. But before we get to that appearance, here are some facts about them that many people outside the music industry probably don’t know.

They were the first band to have a record sell a million copies before it’s release. (Can’t Buy Me Love, 1964)

They were the first band to play in a stadium.

The first group to have its drummer sit higher than the band.

The first rock band to designate one of its members as lead guitarist. (George, 1962)

The first band to combine rock with classical music. (Yesterday, 1965)

The first band to create a song that faded out and then in again. (Strawberry Fields Forever, 1967)

The first band to create an album of all original songs. (A Hard Day’s Night, 1964)

The first band to create an album of more than ten songs. (Please Please Me, 1962)

The first band to print the song lyrics inside the album. (Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, 1967)

The first rock group to use a harmonica in a song. (Love Me Do, 1962)

The first rock group to use a sitar. (Norwegian Wood, 1965)

The first popular band to use electric keyboards and synthesizers in some of its songs.

The first recording artists to use sound effects in their songs.

The first band to combine an early form of reggae called ska with rock and roll. (I Saw her Standing There, 1962)

The first band to create an album in which one song runs into another.

unknown-1

When they appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show soon after their arrival, this country was in a state of hysteria. Incredibly, seventy-three million people watched television that evening, which was the largest TV audience for an entertainment program, ever. The show was watched in more than twenty-three million homes. Remember, this was 1964.
While the program was being aired, much of the nation came to a standstill. It was near impossible to get a bus or taxi anywhere. Even more interesting was that between 8:00-9:00 pm that Sunday night, crime rates in many American cities fell to an all time low.

In 1965 when the Beatles once again toured America, they appeared at Shea Stadium in New York. Until then, the largest crowd to attend a rock concert had been twenty thousand people. More than fifty-five thousand showed up at Shea that night.

It was a different time, one that, for many reasons, may never be repeated. But on February, 1964, these four boys arrived.

imagesWhat happened next, was history.

86 thoughts on “Meet The Beatles

1. Book Club Mom

These are some very interesting facts about how many “firsts” The Beatles had. I was a little girl when they invaded America, and the youngest of four children, so their music was very familiar to me. Thanks for sharing!

2. Ilona Elliott

Great post in homage to four men who really did change the world of music. The rich heritage of the music we grew up with is a result of a blending of styles and musical genres and instruments from every part of the globe that created a tapestry of sounds that still has appeal today. Love love love this post George! Maxwells Silver Hammer is on the XM radio as I write. How serendipitous.

3. Osyth

My husband is ‘scouse’ ie. a Liverpool lad. He is the baby of the family and was only 10 when Love me Do was released but his older sisters who were 16 and 18 at the time are fascinating to listen to when they recant stories of the early days and the effect the success of ‘the lads’ had on the City. I shall enjoy trotting out some of the first you have listed when I’m next there – I had no idea even though, of course, born in 1960 they have coloured my life at some level.

How interesting that your husband was from Liverpool. It must be interesting listening to stories first hand. I hope you can “impress” them with your knowledge the next time you visit..:)

That’s true, Lynn. But so much of the music from the time remains today. Motown, Four Seasons, The Stones…the list is endless. But their music was innovative and they were constantly pushing the limits and recreating themselves.

Great post, George! My husband and I love The Beatles. Our now 18 year old son went through a phase when he was about 5 where he would fall asleep listening to them on tape at night (or maybe it was a CD, can’t remember). I have two nicely framed photographs (art style) of them hanging in my house. They are awesome!

5. sportsattitudes

Really interesting to have grown up with them, all of us having no clue whatsoever what kind of historical achievements we were living within and being treated to. Their work is among the earliest memories I have as a youngster. I would hope even the most “active” Beatles detractor would grudgingly admit their profound influence on society as well as other artists and performers.

One of my earliest memories is of my cousin sitting on our front porch, playing “she wa just seventeen” on her transistor radio, and I was dancing along on the front yard. And I still,love their music, to this day!

7. Jennifer Kelland Perry

Ah, the Beatles. My childhood was filled with all the songs by the Fab Four. I had no choice; my father was a huge fan and owned every album. Luckily and not at all surprising, I grew to love them too. I consider myself blessed for the experience.
    That said, I didn’t know half of these facts you shared here. Great post, George!

8. Nurse Kelly

You covered so much information I wasn’t aware of! When I think of The Beatles, I am instantly transported to my paternal grandparents living room where I played as a child sometimes. They had one of the albums and my grandpa would sing “Michelle” to me. He would stumble over the French words and sing silly words instead. Fond memories. Thanks for the trip down memory lane! Hope you have a nice weekend. 🙂

I was nine years old and we always watched the Ed Sullivan Show. We were up dancing my 8 and 6 year old brothers with me! We had almost every album, all full sized ones sold, but I have cherry wooden 45 record player with Apple 45’s, Johnny Cash, Elvis, Simon and Garfunkel and Roger Miller (My Dad loved Trailer for sale or rent. . . King of the Road.”) I liked that the Beach Boys used some unique musical elements. I learned so much from that John Cusack movie, “Love and Mercy.” Thanks, George. . . I always get carried away when I visit! 🙂

10. roughwighting

I don’t know how anyone could not like the Beatles. Their music was special, unique, heartfelt, and broke so many boundaries. Not only do I know every verse of every one of their songs, my kids do too because I raised them with Beatle music always playing. 😊 They are popular with listeners of all ages from the teens to the 60s. But my parents and people from their generation couldn’t enjoy them because they were just too different from the music they grew up with. I believe that the Beatles changed music in a positive way forever.

I couldn’t agree more. Their influence exceeded musical boundaries. How that influence affected the world is also legendary. Timeless music that transcends generations.

11. Pingback: Blogger Bouquet #43 – Jennifer Kelland Perry

You’re right, they are a very special band and sometimes not given enough credit for their creativity. Thank you very much for reading and conmenring😊