Just Another Day

On the first day of 2017, 210 people were killed or injured by gun violence in America, including a one year old, teens and a mother and daughter.

Today, there was Ft. Lauderdale.

Tomorrow, it could be my hometown.

Or yours.

Like most forms of illness, there is an indiscriminate nature to gun violence. No one is immune. Not you. Not me.

As I was watching the news today, with the sound off, my nineteen month old granddaughter played next to me. She was innocently laughing at everything she touched. And as I watched her play, I wondered what kind of world my grandchildren are going to know. I wondered what kind of fear they will understand and how they will live their lives. And I wondered if they will ever truly be free.

We should all be wondering the same thing, because this senselessness doesn’t seem to be going away. That’s the reality we all try to turn away from.

Those who died today were probably someone’s child and/or parents.

Someone else’s.

Whose will they be tomorrow?

69 thoughts on “Just Another Day

Living in Canada, we are often perplexed about the mindset of the need to carry a gun. That is not to haven’t experienced similar horrible circumstances but the rise in shooting incidents in the States is just so alarming.

I don’t either. But that’s just me. I understand that in different parts of the country guns are a way of life. But people don’t need arsenals or assault weapons. And something has to be done with the mental health issues as it relates to the ability to own a weapon.

1. Ilona Elliott

As with every incident there are those of us shaking our heads and wondering when the madness will be addressed and there are those who are still denying that the proliferation of guns and the rates of gun violence in America have any correlation. Thanks George for at least asking the question…again. Another sad day in our country.

1. Ilona Elliott

George I wish I could say I had some hope of that happening, but I don’t. The price we have paid for the indifference to suffering that some interpretations of the second amendment demand is so very high, you would think there would be a softening of attitudes but I just don’t see it. It makes me feel frustrated and sad and helpless.

Ive always said…if the sight or thought of twenty young children slaughtered in an elementary school doesn’t change the attitudes of people, nothing will. But then, it’s not their children that were being buried.

2. davidprosser

In the past Gun Control measures have been rejected by the Senate. Now you have a new President who doesn’t believe in gun control plus a Senate with a majority of his party. Any gun control for now will have to be voluntary. Someone has to start pressing people to go for it for the sake of the generations to come.
    Hugs

You’re right, David. Someone with some degree of intelligence should be able to come up with a reasonable solution to this issue.
      Thank you, David. Good to see you. And I hope you’re doing well…:)

3. Osyth

We live in a world gone mad. I weep for the dead, I weep for those that love them and I fear for the future. So what future can it be … we try to protect those we love but all the while we have this lurking sinking feeling that there will another and it will hurt even more. I am sad that you had to write this, but I congratulate you on a thoughtful and thought-provoking post.

That statistic you shared should alarm everyone who reads it. This post prompted me to Google the second amendment, which I haven’t read in a long time. This is turn prompted me to Google the definition of militia. Here it is:
    mi·li·tia
    məˈliSHə/
    noun
    noun: militia; plural noun: militias
    a military force that is raised from the civil population to supplement a regular army in an emergency.
    a military force that engages in rebel or terrorist activities, typically in opposition to a regular army.
    all able-bodied civilians eligible by law for military service.

Where in this definition does it state “average, everyday citizen having access to military grade weapons to hunt animals and humans when not actively engaged in military service”? I don’t see it. Note the second definition – sounds a lot like what is happening now in this country. Also, everyone seizes on “the right of people to bear arms…”, but never the phrase “well-regulated”. How is common, everyday citizens having access to military grade weapons a well regulated militia? I really don’t understand. Also, it’s so concerning that several of these shooters recently had been or were currently in the military.

5. jan

Not a good start to the year – and yet there are those who say people should be able to carry loaded guns openly in an airport. It’s a mentality that’s mentally challenged.

I know! The tough thing is that the guns are already out there. People already have them, so how are we going to stop them from using them? Personally, I wouldn’t have a gun in my house. But I know people who hunt, and people who live in rural areas where it would take the police at least 20 minutes to reach them when they call 911, so I get that some people want to have guns. But why in the world is it legal for a civilian to own an assault weapon? And why do so many people feel the need to have a gun? I honestly don’t know the answer, but I do know I am scared by all this gun violence. And I can’t help thinking there just has to be a better way!

I’m with you, Ann. I don’t own a gun and never had a desire to have or shoot one but I understand there are parts of the country where it’s normal. I don’t have a problem if someone owns one legally but you don’t need an arsenal and you certainly don’t need an assault weapon to hunt. There has to be more done with how people legally obtain them and how it corresponds to the mental health issues of those who own guns. It really is complicated with many sides to the problem.

6. socialbridge

George, my heart goes out to you in your angst and concern about your fellow-countrymen, women and children. The gun laws in America are beyond our understanding here in Ireland. I guess they are beyond the understanding of many Americans too. x

You’re right Jean. Many don’t understand. It’s a complicated issues that has many sides and valid points on both ends but you’d think common sense would prevail at some point and the best interest of our citizens and children would win out.

7. sportsattitudes

I was just commenting to my wife this sort of thing seems to be happening so often now it is – and this is the scariest part of all – starting to become sort of “background noise.” I think some folks have become numb to gun violence and thereby accepting of it by default. I don’t see this changing either because common sense has never been in play when it comes to this subject. It is a complex issue but that doesn’t mean you never try to solve it and just let this carnage go on unabated.

I agree , Bruce. We seem to have become immune to what we see and hear in the news these days with respect to gun violence. As I’ve said before, it’s a complex issue that requires lots of common sense and little politics but that’s not going to happen anytime soon.

I hope you’re right, Kay but politics, power and greed are a tough trifecta to go up against. As I’ve said much too often, if the image of twenty murdered six year olds in an elementary school are not enough to affect change, I’m not sure anything will.

My worry is nothing is about to change. My real fear is: if what happened in Newtown did little to change our attitude about gun violence—enough to make the outcry SO LOUD that those in Washington did something significant to fix it—then nothing will. I know, sounds awfully pessimistic, huh George. Sorry about that.

After Newtown and still no outcry from the American people being loud enough to compel Washington to really fix the problem, I fear that there is nothing Americans can do—short of backing up the truck and getting rid of all of them—that will fix this mess. Sorry to be so pessimistic, George.

I think a shotgun is fine for hunting but please lock it up. Not in a case with a glass front. Kids and bad guys can see the guns, Duh?!
    I think guns with ability to “see in the dark” or be shot from the top of a building are all wrong. I think it has been proven if you are not proficient with a handgun, someone who is able to use it will turn it against you in a robbery. Thanks for this brilliant post, George and so grateful to see there are many who are like you. “A gentleman and a scholar,” my Grandpa used to say.