Enough Already

“America isn’t easy. America is advanced citizenship. You’ve gotta want it bad, ’cause it’s gonna put up a fight. It’s gonna say, ‘You want free speech? Let’s see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who’s standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours.’ You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country cannot just be a flag. The symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Now show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms. Then, you can stand up and sing about the land of the free.”
The American President

I’ve always loved those words in the movie, The American President. Unfortunately, we forget them sometimes.

I was glad the election was over and hoped to move forward regardless of who won, but in the word of Pacino in Godfather 3, “Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.”

The only reason I’m writing this is that I’m starting to get annoyed and this is my place to come and vent so if you want to bail on this post, I completely understand. For those who stay, I’ll try to be brief.

If you’ve read my blog at all in the last few months, you know I haven’t commented much on the election and that I’m not a fan of either party or candidate. It was an ugly campaign conducted by two people who are low on the character scale and in my opinion, neither one was/is worthy of holding this office.

But someone had to be elected and the process played itself out. Fine. The winners celebrate and the losers cry for a couple of days. That’s the way all games are played and this one, played out with a couple of demagogues, was no different.

But if you listen to the media, who refuses to let this go, you’d think Mother Teresa lost to Idi Amin. Come on now. Let’s be honest.

Is Trump capable of leading this country and is he as bad as he’s portrayed or was he just telling people what they wanted to hear in order to get votes? I don’t know, but we’re going to find out in short order. His supporters may ultimately be disappointed in who they elected because at the end of the day, Trump is a pretty good businessman/dealmaker, and any good dealmaker knows that if you have any chance of surviving in the world you choose to live, compromise is critical. He’s already backing off a bit. We’ll see where that goes.

As for Hillary, you’d think she was as pure as the driven snow. Really? Even those who backed her have to admit that it was her own sins that came back to bite her and ultimately cost her the election. There are so many reasons why she lost and quite frankly, Trump is the least of them. If you can’t beat Trump in a Presidential election with the kind of money, experience and pedigree you have stuck in your back pocket, what does that tell you about her? The democrats chose the only person in America who couldn’t beat Trump and that’s their fault. The deal they made with her was cut a long time ago and everyone knows it. Except no one knew or anticipated how badly she would mess up. And even when it all came out, they arrogantly continued to dismiss it and believed people would forget about it. They had no idea that the American public was going to take a page out of the movie, Network, throw open their windows and yell, “We’re mad as hell and we’re not going to take it anymore.”

Some people want you to believe there are other underlying reasons why this election went the way it did. Those are the people who are math majors with a concentration on Division. For the most part, I believe this country is better than that.

So the game should be over for now. We have a process that’s fair, though heavily influenced by huge sums of money. It’s time to move on. There have been many times when the person I wanted to win, lost. It bothered me. But when it was over, I wanted that person to succeed,  because there is no other choice. If he doesn’t succeed, everyone loses. The betterment of this country should be more important than our individual differences.
We all have a right to protest within the boundaries of the law. We all have a right to speak our minds and call out and reject our elected officials when we feel they don’t have our best interests at heart.

And that’s exactly what happened here.

Let’s move on.

86 thoughts on “Enough Already

1. Ilona Elliott

I want to move on also George. And I wish him success, but not in the plans and promises he has made to build walls, mine for more coal, slash the EPA and ignore climate change challenges, etc. etc. Like you, I believe he will not be able to deliver on much of what he promises. I also think he has no clue as to the enormity of the task he has taken on. Which is why I would have liked to have seen this election go the other way. We have so many challenges in this country. And we just hired a corrupt kindergartner when we could have hired a corrupt PHD. Time will tell. Let’s all hope for the best.

2. edgar62

I agree with everything you said – we work for our candidate, if they win – great, if not, well we move on and start planning for the next round in a few years time, perhaps better prepared. The person who lost calls or visits the person who won and congratulates them. That’s how it always was. But now it seems to be “well we lost – let’s start a demonstration / riot” And this seems to be the new way of things in many countries these days and I have no idea what has changed or what the solution is but I am still optimistic.

Thanks, Wendy. I don’t mind peaceful demonstrations but I think some are creating violence for no other reason except they have an excuse. My guess is some of those people never even voted.

3. auroraroschen

What has really floored me – possibly as much as the so-called “peaceful” protests – is the number of colleges who cancelled classes so that students could mourn. Seriously?! What kind of generation have we raised that throws a fit when their candidate loses, so much so that they “just can’t” handle class work or any semblance of responsibility?! Fifty years ago, 18-year-olds were willingly fighting for their country – even for the president they may not have voted for. Today, they fall to pieces when they don’t get their way. That’s what we get for giving them participation trophies for losing their entire lives. And I say this as a Millennial myself. Sickening.

That’s a great comment and very true. The cancelling of college classes doesn’t surprise me since 60% of professors are sharply liberal.
      Makes you wonder how these young people are going to handle future disappointments in life, because we all know that’s coming.
      Your participation trophy comment is classic. It has always made me shake my head and is the basis for another post..:) Thank you for your entertaining and honest comments.

1. auroraroschen

I’m honestly looking forward to their future life disappointments – personal disappointments that are not shared with their broader communities – because, in those moments, they will finally have the opportunity to have their eyes opened and break free from their entitlement, arrogance and “sophomoric” attitudes. I look forward to any opportunities the Lord sees fit to give me to comfort, guide and mentor my peers when the find themselves alone in the valleys of life.

I agree whole-heartedly with this post, but my favorite line is: “You’d think Mother Teresa lost to Idi Amin.” Sentences like that are why I read good blogs, especially yours!
    I didn’t like Donald Trump when he was famous as “The Donald” busy making deals, nor when he was on reality television, and I’m embarrassed to say that I told everyone I knew there was no way he would ever make the Republican nomination, and then later, be elected the President. I figured that the Republicans had nominated the one candidate who could be easily defeated by Hillary Clinton. But, obviously, I was wrong.
    But I’m not protesting, ranting on Facebook, or predicting the end of the civilized world. I have a president I didn’t vote for and don’t care for, but that would have been true if Hillary was elected as well. And I’m going to act like an adult, go on about my life, and honestly, hope that he turns out to be a decent President. Because whether we like it or not, we’re all in this together, and all this panic, fear-mongering and hatred is only making things worse, for each and every one of us.
    Thanks for this post, George! (And sorry for my long response, but this one really spoke to me!)

First of all, you never have to apologize for the length of your response, Ann. You’re a terrific writer and I love reading your posts so why would your responses be any different..:)
      Like you, I was never a fan of The Donald and like you I told everyone he’d never get the nomination or get elected. And I believe to this day, he never thought he would either. In fact, I just read an article that said he told Christie he’d be gone by Oct.’15. I believe, in part, it’s why he was so outrageous in his comments. He was pushing the envelope and he’s a little crazy but he also knew, the longer he stayed in, that the American people were a little crazy angry so he tapped into that emotion and the rest is history.
      I don’t mind the peaceful protests. Anyone who is a product of the 60’s is used to it. But the hatred, violence and “I’m going to take my ball and go home” attitude of people is just annoying.
      We need to move on.
      Did I just match your response in terms of length?..:)

Nah, I think mine was a bit longer! And like you, I’m fine with peaceful protests, just not the violent ones. And I kind of thought the same thing as the campaign went on and Trump’s comments got more and more outrageous. I thought, “He’s trying to lose,” because even if he didn’t know better, you know one of his aides would have told him that if he wanted to win, just shut up!

Exactly. I really wonder if he’s going to complete his four years or just do it for a while and resign. At his age, with all his money, he really doesn’t need this. Besides, I think he enjoyed the chase more than what’s in front of him. It’ll be interesting…:)

5. Helen Devries

Your post spoke to me…I would have voted for neither and believe that their nominations as candidates indicates that the political system needs change urgently.
    When in England, with its first past the post system, I was used to living in a constituency where my candidate would lose, time after time…but that was the system so no point whingeing about it.
    Trump has won….those who are not happy should start organising a change in the system if they don’t like the results.

You’re right, Helen. If people don’t like what happen they should look in the mirror, ask themselves why and take steps to correct it. There’s lots of blame to go around here and I think the anger, in some ways, is misdirected.

6. jan

I completely agree with you – Trump supporters are probably in for a surprise and this country has Clinton fatigue (me included). I just hope we can restore civility and protect minorities from the backlash of all the hateful rhetoric.

7. thechickengrandma

Truly great post George!! Loved it. I am just tired of being told that if I voted for Trump I was a hater. This is the status I posted on Facebook when I heard of all the protests against him (and just so you know. I am not crazy about him either but he was the unknown and Hillary stood for everything I was against) :
    “It sounds like there is a lot of anger out there about the election. No matter how you voted treat each other kindly…..turn the other cheek. If anyone asks me I would tell them I voted for love…..love of the unborn, love for marriage as God purposed it, love for this country remaining true to the constitution. I voted out of love….not hate as the media is trying to spin it.”
    I would now add that just because I do not agree with someone’s opinion it does not mean I hate them…..it just means I do not agree with them. Tolerance goes both ways or it is not tolerance at all.
    There ….. my rant is over :).

I don’t know when we stopped being able to agree to disagree. There’s nothing wrong with having different points of view and supporting your person. But please do it with respect.

8. Almost Iowa

My son called on the night of the election, we talked for two hours. He was very upset and I told him that I knew how he felt, my candidates have been clobbered pretty hard over the years… It is just the way it goes… You have to learn to lose and trust that the world will still be there long enough to win.

What bothered me about this election though was the long faces on the staff at PBS, CNN, ABC, NBC and CBS. Not one of those channels hosted a Trump supporter. I remember when newsroom staff were mostly pretty rough around the edges guys… I spent thirty years in law enforcement and in the old days it was hard to tell a reporter from a detective. Now days, I can spot a reporter a half-mile away. Most of them are young and green and confuse naivete with idealism.

We dumped the old newsroom hands because they were almost all white and all male and we wanted the newsroom to look like the community it served. Not a bad idea.

But now we need a newsroom that thinks like the community it serves. I wonder if any of them old cynical guys are still around?

That’s one of the things that stood out for me also as I switched from channel to channel. Aside from looking stunned there was a strong bias. Reporters don’t want to report the news anymore, they want to impose their opinions and be the news.

I only wish I could get away from it totally- I listen to the local news only so I can hear about the latest goings on in some small town rather than what is going on in the US after this election. Enough already of it- but I fear it has just begun

I guess this is best to just say, we can agree to disagree.
    I am such a positive person it actually hurts me when people are cruel. Someone who felt compelled to say that Mrs. Trump would be elegant and finally we would have someone with grace in the White House. They went one step too far, which to me represents the party line, by calling Michelle Obama “an ape in heels.” My fellow warehouse workers laughed while the five of us, who were not keen on Trump, merely hugged and huddled together.<3 Peace and hope this aspect quiets down.

Like I mentioned, hope this quiets down! I never would advocate rioting!

We need to move forward as a country, George. We agree the ignorance is on both sides of the political scene. There is intelligence on both sides, too. Let’s hope that quality prevails. 🙂 Good cabinet members will provide guidance and balance for Trump’s sometimes impulsive words. He will moderate his language choices as he gets his bearings, don’t you think?
        Thanks, George for what you said to my friend Fiona! ❤ (Blog name is Osyth) She's a French jewel living in New England and I love her, the husband with two brains and the Bean dog. 🙂

Oh I hope real intelligence prevails, also and he surrounds himself with good people. That’s the key to any successful presidency.
        Your friend Fiona seems very nice and you are deserving of kind words..:)

11. sportsattitudes

I find myself simultaneously having a lot to say…and having nothing I feel saying at all. I see the media is starting to give voice to those who are announcing a break from being “social” because our Presidential Election, folks’ constant back-and-forth mean-spiritedness, the violence that has become but background noise of daily life…it has all taken its toll. Having just returned to reading blogs after a Spring and Summer “off” I figured by now I would have posted something about something…anything…but I haven’t. I said to my wife a couple of nights ago when I returned I had every intention of not just returning to my favorite sites but also to advance mine. But I was/am having a terrible time getting to the right “headspace” to write. Our country and its citizens have a lot on our collective, shared plate right now…and did so way, way before this Election concluded. I am grateful for not being involved with Facebook (never have) and Twitter (on and off it twice back in the day). I can certainly see where people are shell-shocked by the way things have been “trending.” I believe moving forward is what we humans are instinctively led to do and should do…but I also believe said movement will be measured in the smallest of units in the short-term.

I can understand your first line very well. Sometimes I feel the same way and though I don’t like writing about politics, if that’s what this game is really called, sometimes I just need to vent and this is where I come to do it.
      You’ll find your “headspace” in time though that time make take some time. You’re too good of a writer not to write..:)
      You’re spot on about the measurement of movements. I wonder how those frustrations will eventually play out.
      Thanks for reading and commenting. Stay well..:)

Thank you. Yes, the process worked based on how it’s set up. The overwhelming majority of the states voted him in. Calif and NY made it seem closer in the Electoral and the popular was close, considering the number of people who voted. I suppose it worked for those who voted for him and didn’t work for those who voted for her.

12. Osyth

Hello George – I have Robin at Witless Dating to thank for pointing me to your blog. I really enjoyed this piece …. I have neither the heart nor the right as a guest in this country to comment on the election but I can comment on poor losers and the media. You are so right – the man won and he will now take office. Time will tell whether his supporters will be overjoyed or disappointed but what will be will be and refusing to accept and stirring the pot is really quite appalling, in my opinion. So thank you …. I really enjoyed this piece and I will now take a stroll through some others and have followed you lest I miss a nugget from someone I feel is a blogger I will enjoy.

Thank you, Osyth. What an interesting name. I loved your about page and getting to know a little about you..:)
      I think you have every right to comment. We are all connected in so many ways regardless of where we live. You’re right, the pouting that’s gone on since the election is disappointing and annoying. We all need to just move forward.
      Thank you again for reading and for the follow. Thank you also to Robin who is terrific, and for helping us find each other’s blog.

13. aFrankAngle

Well stated … and loud Amen. You were fair – after all, you took a bite out of both sides. I too am glad that it’s over …. I like watching the news, but I’ve gotten away from that because of the noise. Besides, there is a lot going on in this country and around the world.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family … enjoy the holiday!