Driving The Blue Ridge

We had an opportunity last month to take a road trip to North Carolina/Virginia. We spent a few days in Asheville, which has an abundance of crazy good restaurants then headed north along the Blue Ridge Parkway to a pretty little town called Blowing Rock. It’s one of those drives  you can probably make in two hours. It took us seven. There were just too many beautiful places to stop along the way. A short hike or two and before you know it the sun was getting lower in the sky. A few weeks later in October and the colors along the parkway must have been gorgeous. Anyway, here are a few of the places we stopped to take a look, understanding that photos never do these scenes justice.
Please keep in mind I’m not a photographer and I was only using my iPhone.

img_4423

img_4414

img_4408

img_4406

img_4402

img_4395

img_4393

img_4389

img_4376

img_4421

During one of our hikes we heard music playing on a phone laying on a tree stump. We looked up and saw two people up in a tree. When I told them I had to take their picture they laughed and asked me to take one with their phone as well. I don’t know who they are but they made the blog.

img_4388

If you ever have an opportunity to visit the mountains of North Carolina, and I highly recommend it, take a long day and a slow drive between Asheville and Blowing Rock. You won’t be disappointed.

71 thoughts on “Driving The Blue Ridge

1. Retirementallychallenged.com

I drove across the country with a friend a few years ago. I really enjoyed our stay in Asheville and would love to go back someday. Unfortunately, the weather prohibited us from driving along the Blue Ridge Parkway (it was a snowy March). I hope that one day I’ll be able to go on that gorgeous drive. Fall would be a perfect time to see it.

Thanks, Anne. So you’re on the part closest to Tennessee? We thought about taking a drive to the Great Smokey’s but didn’t have the time. Maybe next time…:)

Yes, they really are. In many ways it’s more fun throwing stuff in a car and making stops along the way than packing bags and getting on a plane. Both have their advantages but the older I get the more I’m leaning toward road trips and seeing more of this country.

Don’t underestimate the quality of photos taken with an iPhone… and you’re a wonderful photographer. These are gorgeous. Nothing better than being able to take the time you wish on a road trip

3. lisakunk

Thanks so much for visiting our beautiful state. It’s probably just as well that you were not here for the peak on the parkway. Your many hour trip would become many many hours as the leaf peepers will be creeping along at a snails pace. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. It’s just nice to move along as you wish in travels.Asheville is a fun place. Eclectic. Thanks again for the nice review.

Thank you, Lisa. The mountains of NC are beautiful as are the towns around it. It was tempting to push the trip back a few weeks in order to see the colors but maybe next time. You live in a beautiful state and Asheville is a really cool town with so many great restaurants and things to do.

Lol…I thought about writing songs a lot when I was a kid. Who didn’t back then.i even wrote a few but since I don’t okay an instrument and can’t sing a lick I usually ended up entertaining myself. 😊

Gorgeous photos, George! Love them. I think iPhones do quite well taking photos. This post reminded me of what my husband says whenever I get on him about going to Europe, that there are so many amazing places in our own country to see and he’d rather do that first. Thanks for these! Very inspiring.

Thank you, Kim. I think we take this country for granted in terms of its beauty and how much it has to offer both in its history and simplicity. But I’m also a big fan of the few places we’ve been to in Europe. I don’t think there’s anything like that in this country. Their way of life, the small villages, countryside, etc. And if you’re a fan of history, well, we go back a few hundred years here. They go back a little longer. 😊 It’s just very different. I would go back tomorrow if I didn’t hate to fly so much. I always wanted to do a river cruise. Maybe next year..:)
      Experiencing both is a great treat. There is something to be said for throwing some things in the car and doing a road trip. A great sense of freedom…:)

5. A.PROMPTreply

WOW…..so many talents, Blogfather! Love your pix. Love the idea of just stopping off on a road trip for no reason other than you want to and taking all the time you need/want. You sure seem to have this game of LIFE figured out well!

I spent a couple of nights in Ashville several years ago with my family, on our way to Charleston. We loved Ashville, and after reading your post, I think I want to drive the Blue Ridge Mountains as well! Your photos looked beautiful. And that’s the kind of trip I want to take: no schedule, just a destination and taking our own sweet time!

Thanks, Ann. That kind of road trip is really so much fun. We had a couple of hotels set up over weekends but nothing we couldn’t change. Asheville is a cool town but pretty eclectic. Very artsy community. It’s easy to tell the difference between the locals and the tourists…:)

Some day, my husband and I are going to do it! BTW, did this comment show up in your post, or in your email? My site is still acting up. My latest post seems okay, but the post before that keeps deleting the photo I added. I think Word Press is designed to keep us paranoid!

Thank you, the phone didn’t do badly at all and it’s pretty convenient…:) Yes, I imagine coming from a flat landscape and seeing the mountain ranges surround you must be pretty amazing…:)

We really loved Blowing Rock as well. We didn’t expect it to be so pretty with such great stores and good restaurants. It’s also a dog friendly town so we ran into dogs in several stores. Oh, and it had a terrific ice cream place, which is always a plus..:)

7. Sheila Moss

I spent a week in Boone a year ago. Beautiful scenery in the area, but I don’t care much for the curvy mountain roads on the parkway. I’ve not been to the mountains in leaf-peeping season in a long while, but they are beautiful.

Hi Sheila…I was a little concerned about the curvy roads also but it wasn’t bad in the section between Asheville and Blowing Rock. We also took a day and visited Boone when we were I. Blowing Rock and liked it very much. It’s a college town so a very different vibe but lots of neat shops and restaurants.