My Choice In November

So this is what it’s come down to and I don’t think I’m alone in feeling this way.

The question is, what do I do about it?

img_1393

I have voted in every Presidential election since 1972. It’s a privilege and right we all have in this country and I never took it lightly.

Now many people say that two things one should never discuss are politics and religion. There’s some truth to that in certain settings. But this is my blog and one of the reasons I started doing this is because it gave me an opportunity to write and an outlet to express my thoughts and feelings about certain things and have honest and respectful exchanges of ideas. If I can’t do that here, then what’s the point of having a blog? I know I’m not concerned about losing sponsors because there aren’t any sponsors to be concerned about, and even if there were, I’m sure their contributions would not alter my lifestyle. I should be concerned about losing followers? I don’t think so. Real followers on here are like friends; if you can’t discuss or express your thoughts with friends then whats the point?

So I believe in God and I’m an independent.

I’ve never understood the idea of belonging to one party or another. I’ve always voted for the most qualified person; someone who I thought had some integrity and would try to what’s best for this country. That’s been more difficult to do in recent years and impossible to find during this recent embarrassment.
There have been years when the choices were not very clear and I had to really struggle to find something; some glimmer of hope or character.

But not this year. This election is void of hope or character.

I have thought about walking into that voting booth so many times and pulling the lever for either candidate and quite honestly the thought makes me sick to my stomach. They are both despicable liars. We can spin their lies in any positive way we like based on who we may support but at the end of the day, neither one is worthy of this office.

I haven’t watched news coverage of this election in months. I see recent headlines that attack each of these candidates as if the news that was uncovered is some new-found revelation of real journalism. But nothing that has been reported in the last few weeks/months should come as a surprise to anyone. These two poor excuses for used car salesmen are who they have been for decades. Why should anyone be surprised at what they read today? Revelations? I don’t think so.

The way I see it, I have a constitutional right to vote. Or not.

I choose not to vote for President of the United States in this election.

I will still vote for any questions that may appear on the ballot and any candidates I choose to support for state and local office, but I can’t in good conscience vote for either of these two human political abominations.

People have suggested I vote for the lesser of two evils. But to me there isn’t a lesser or greater degree of evil. Evil is evil.

I know people will disagree and complain that no vote is a vote against someone. So be it. They will also say it’s my duty to vote. No, it isn’t. It’s my right. I just choose not to exercise that right in this election and I’m comfortable with my decision.

I don’t know how we got to this point. Three hundred million people in the greatest country in the world and this is what we’re left with; these are our insufferable choices. What an example for our children and the rest of the world.

We should be ashamed of these two grains of sand who are running for office but we should also be ashamed of ourselves for staying silent for so long and allowing politicians and our current political system to dictate to us as they/it has.

Sorry, but I choose not to be electrocuted. I will pray we get through the next four years, that someone presents themselves as an alternative next time around and that as a country we come to our senses.

Imagine if they held an election and no one decided to vote.

Imagine.

80 thoughts on “My Choice In November

George, you expressed beautifully exactly how I feel, too. I am also not voting for a president for the first time since I turned 18. I can’t say anymore because as I said, you expressed it exactly and thank you for doing so. How can we ignore this? My blog post this week is also somewhat political, but I took a different spin with it. Regardless of one’s views, I think we all agree this presidential election is the worst in a long time if not ever. Certainly it’s the worst I’ve ever seen. And we thought hanging, pregnant chads were bad. My guess is this post is going to spark lots of discussion.

2. colinandray

I can understand your decision to simply abstain based on the parameters which you noted (they are both equally evil) however, I would question your parameters. While both appear to deserve honorable mentions in the areas of “lie, cheat and steal”, DT does seem to have an immaturity, an ego, and a temperament to be a real “loose cannon” which could be dangerous in world affairs. I would suggest that HC is the lesser of the two evils, and I imagine that she will get support from other leaders (especially the female ones), whereas DT is going to be ridiculed and/or used as necessary to achieve who knows what! 🙂

I understand what you’re saying, Colin. I agree that Trump is crazy and immature but I also think Clinton’s decision making abilities have been erratic and based more on what’s in her best interests. For me, that’s just as dangerous. Yes, she will get some support from some leaders but she will also be strongly challenged and I’m not sure how she’ll handle that…not because she’s a women but because her MO is to make excuses instead of attacking. Then again, she has placed herself in a position of constantly having to defend herself based on her past decisions and choices. In that respect she’s no different than Trump. They’re both crazy, one in a crass way and one more polished.

3. shirleyamurphy

I believe there is one extremely important reason to vote in this election, and that is the fact that the next president will be appointing at least one new judge to the Supreme Court and, possibly, many more. HC’s judge choices are liberal. DT’s judge choices are moderate to conservative. The Supreme Court judges will be making decisions for our nation long after the next president is out of office. It is critical, in my opinion, that we vote in this election, even though we will have to overlook several flaws, whichever candidate we choose.

I understand, Shirley and that’s a very good point. But before I get to point G, I have to get past point A and I can’t do that. Besides, just because the President recommends someone doesn’t guaranty that person will be appointed. Who knows what are friends in the house and senate will decide to do and what party will be there to do it.

I haven’t done it in years and I don’t know how it works with the new ballot boxes but essentially you can vote for anyone you like by writing a name on the ballot. It doesn’t change anything and is more of a protest vote than anything. But it is an option and is consider it if there was anyone out there I thought strongly enough to about.

True and I thought about that. In fact I’ve done it once before. But who would I write in? I can’t think of a politician I’d give my vote to today.

4. uju

“People have suggested I vote for the lesser of two evils.”

Well now, if there are Americans who think this way then it’s really sad. I’ve always loved to use the United States as a point of reference in electoral debates, but this thing up there, simply tells me USA is becoming more Nigerian by the day. Vote the lesser of two evils? Terrible advice. We live it every 4 years and nothing has ever gotten better.

“But to me there isn’t a lesser or greater degree of evil. Evil is evil.
    People have also suggested that this isn’t an election where we vote for someone but against someone. Sorry, that just doesn’t make sense to me and it’s not the way I vote.”

I agree with you, that statement makes no sense at all. Unlike you, I haven’t voted in a single election since I turned 18. Not just because this country is so messed up that getting a voter’s card is really difficult; it’s so bad that even after I own one, I can’t bring myself to vote evil of any kind. So basically voter’s card, for the majority of Nigerians, stand as another form of national identity.

I’m sorry America has got to this stage. It’s a terrible place to be as a country, knowing that your supposed ability to ‘choose’ isn’t exactly a choice at all.

Hope it gets better.

Unfortunately, many people feel this way. It is such a foreign concept to not have someone with some redeeming qualities. I hope it changes soon or we’ll have more to worry about than elections.

5. socialbridge

Great post, George, and I feel for you.
    As an Irish person, I have to say that I would be voting for Hillary based on the work that she and Bill did in relation to the peace process in Northern Ireland. (I know that may seem a million miles from you but it matters HUGELY to us over here.)
    If I were an American, I would be mortified as well and wouldn’t know who to vote for. I HAVE been following the proceedings closely over the last number of months.

Thank you, Jean. I understand why you feel as you do and I appreciate your thoughts. If I were in your position and felt someone was responsible for contributing to the peace process in Northern Ireland after so many difficult years, I’m sure I would feel the same way. Unfortunately, I have to look at it from a different perspective and factor in much more. To say it’s been an embarrassing situation would be an understatement.

6. Helen Devries

I can see why you are not voting. How can you in conscience support either of them….No wonder people are sick of the party system if these are what it throws up as candidates to lead the nation.
    From a foreigner’s perspective, Clinton worries me more than Trump were she to win: Trump might not bait the Russian bear further…Clinton certainly will and I don’t like the thought of the consequences.

7. Ilona Elliott

I respect your choice George. I think this is the result when we require our information spoon fed to us with an over zealous helping of sensationalism and entertaining content. I disagree with your assessment that both candidates are equally as bad. Only one has forged relationships with the international community and has respect for the importance of governance in civil society. I wish they didn’t have two decades of baggage with them, but honestly believe that often what we hear people despairing about them is forged by the overactive imaginations of politically charged cyber journalists, who some how know more about things than actual investigators with access to real evidence and years of experience in enforcing the law. But yes, this is the worst it’s ever been and both parties are letting us down. But then I’ve been an Independent for years. And I completely agree that people should not vote if they cannot do so in good conscience. It’s not a pep rally for a high school team that we are forced to attend, although it sure feels like it for a lot of Americans. It’s nice to see people on here sharing their thoughts without the shrill voices of political hysteria so prevalent on so many social media outlets.

Thank you for your thoughts, Llona. I understand and respect how you feel. Experience is a big determining factor for many people. I love your analogy to this not being a pep rally..:) And like you, I’m grateful that the expression of views on here has been respectful.

8. Nancy

A very insightful post, George, and I agree that this election has been an embarrassment and a circus. As for me I will be voting because the idea that DT could get anywhere near the Oval Office scares the life out of me and quite frankly, the man makes my skin crawl. By not voting, I feel that I’m allowing him to get that much closer. In addition there is the simple fact that one of these candidates has spent the majority of their life serving the community and the government and the other has only ever served himself. He knows nothing about foreign policy or how to negotiate or how to put others needs before his own. One of them will become president and I most certainly do believe that there is a lesser of two evils. I know this may be an unpopular view to some but it’s how I feel. Thanks for giving me a chance to express it.

Thank you, Nancy. I respect your decision and understand how you feel. I don’t think you have to worry about whether it’s a popular or unpopular view in this election…:)

9. Retirementallychallenged.com

I enjoyed your post and the thoughtful comments it has generated. I too hate the vitriol we’ve been hearing during the campaign. I will be voting for someone, maybe not enthusiastically, but definitely “for” as opposed to “the lesser of two evils.” Only one candidate is qualified to be president and by not voting, writing in a name, or voting for a third party candidate could risk putting a dangerous man in the White House. After this campaign cycle, though, I wonder why any sane person would want to run. They would just be opening themselves, their friends, and their family to the kind of scrutiny and attacks that most of us would run from.

I agree completely with both of your comments. I do believe this will be a one term presidency. I just don’t know what kind of shape we’ll be in as a country when those four years are done.

10. Susannah Bianchi

I really loved this first of all, and I am so passionate about voting yet I get the universal dilemma…Bonnie Parker or Captain Bligh. Not great. Like should we have the contaminated fish or the chicken with salmonella…HOWEVER….VOTING IS SUCH A PRIVILEGE EVEN IF IT’S A DISAPPOINTING ELECTION. VOTE VOTE VOTE

11. A.PROMPTreply

I can’t imagine how many other people are taking this route, George. I myself can’t make a decision…as you said, it’s “void of hope or character.” How depressing. I’m thinking it’ll probably be the first election where someone is elected based on who DIDN’T show up to vote rather than who did.

That’s a good point. I think people have been stressed out about who to vote for and some may, as you suggest, choose not to at all. It’ll be interesting to see what the turnout numbers will be.

You need to figure out how to add a “love” or “hell, yes!” button to your blog so I can push it. Completely agree with every word. For me, I will either pass on voting for president or I will vote for the libertarian, Green Party , or whatever candidate happens to be listed below Donald and Hillary. My only reason being that maybe if more independent candidates get a decent number of votes, it will wake up the two established parties to the fact that they really need to do better than this. I think at the moment, they believe they can nominate a rabid skunk and the party faithful will offer their support. And judging by the excuses their followers make for the two horrors who are running for office, I think they are correct!
    Thanks for stating so eloquently what so many of us are feeling!

Lol…you’re a very funny lady. I’ll look into creating those two buttons. I’ve thought about the same thing you’re thinking about and I suppose that’s an option for the very reason you suggested. I’ll give it some thought…:)
      I also wanted to let you know that sometimes your comments show up in my email but not on my WordPress stats/comments page. Strange, isn’t it? Well maybe not so strange for WP. It’s not a problem, I just wanted to let you know in case you do t see a response from me right away. I always look forward to your thoughts..:)

13. thechickengrandma

You hit this one exactly right! And I love the picture of the kid with the outlets…..it is perfect.
    There is one upside to this whole crazy election year……God has a plan, and while I might not always like His plan I am positive He wins in the end!
    Keep the faith, write the words and be blessed.

Well, I’ve always had faith in God’s plan but I have to believe even He is looking down on this mess, shaking his head and wondering how He’s going to save us from ourselves..:)

The United States? I haven’t heard that one in quite a while. Not since… well… well not since George Washington! Of course, we had a reason to be united then—hint, hint. But who has the time, the energy, the power for a rebellion now? Now the divided states, that’s another thing SURE! No one can work together for the common good of the public now, not without party interest being spewed out on behalf of ding dong representatives, oand moronic self-serving loathsome human (seriously doubt any of them are that) beings that wouldn’t help those who backed them in the first place—well not not if they could stab they’re ignorant supporters in the back first, that is. But the United States? Nah, nice idea! At least it was back in 1776. But not now, never will happen. I mean, not as long as we have the obstructionist Party—I think they have one of those in congress practically every day now—I know for darn sure they don’t get any real work done on a daily basis! Then there’s the party that means well but who’s poor at getting the poor healthier. Oh red party, blue party, red party, blue party which one to cut? One thing is for sure; neither party is operating effectively for the good of the people they claim to represent—unless you consider the money stockpiled and put into their back pockets by the private interest groups (Can you say the NRA, banks, and major corporations? I knew, that you could.) for said elected officials re-election campaigns. Boy watch those elected officials work then. Why you’ll see those politicians on the phones in the back office, and out shaking hands with those lobbyist until they get carpel tunnel! Hell, they might even kiss a baby and make it cry if they thought it might put another ten million more dollars into their back pockets. In fact, it might be the only time they really do sweat—if you don’t count those times when there holier than thou moral code GOES PUBLIC when called into question by their numerous indiscretions. Yep, but we’re still the best country on earth (although Canada, uh, let’s not go there, although others did—to ignore and take care of our veterans and their families. You see; the politician feels that just saying thank you for their service is the same as a member of the public (whom they claim to represent) who actually says it, and then goes out and does something to show it like; give em a job, take off the off the street when they’re homeless, or give them food when they’re hungry and who watches out for them by making sure the Veterans Administration does right by them. George, freedom of speech (without being shouted down for your point of view, or party or non-party affiliation) is something you and every American is entitled to because of veterans and their sacrifice. And right now, I think it’s very American to be dissatisfied with the way America has become. We need to forget the party’s and their ridiculous backers, and start working for the public (that’s everyone, regardless of party affiliation) and what’s right for the country as a whole. Namely; descent well paying jobs, ending poverty and homelessness, hunger, safe schools (and the public safety in general) ending race issues period—we need to become a whole country for all! Stopping the money grab in regards to education, and reforming our political system, because it is being twisted to serve only the selfish and not the selfless who wish to serve the greater good—a real UNITED STATES. Okay… I’m off my soapbox… and probably my rocker, but that’s how I feel, and I hope how most of us feel. After all, there is no possible way to please every single person in any election, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try to work with the majority or the people and their elected leader. Whatever happened to the majority rules. It used to be very American. I approved this LENGTHY response. ;O)

15. candidkay

I’m an independent also, George. But I think I’ve got to choose the saner candidate. Trump’s attitude toward women makes my skin crawl. I can empathize with you, though. Where is the candidate we all feel inspired by?

I will always vote, two grandparents from Sweden and Germany met on a street corner, my parents marched on Washington DC for Civil Rights, just would be wrong not toake a choice. . . And Vote! Smiles Robin 🙂

I meant to add my mother parents, those grandparents were immigrants. They were so proud to be Americans that neither my Grandma from Germany nor my Grandpa from Sweden spoke their native tongue. My Mom says at least the baked goods and dishes were passed on to us, but no language to speak of. Thanks, George for allowing my thoughts to be shared here. It is a tough call with some major flaws in each candidate. 🙂

I agree, Robin. This is a difficult great. Food is its own language, isn’t it. If they passed down the recipes they will speak to future family generations in their own way..:)

17. Barb Knowles

I can’t imagine not voting personally, but I understand your reasons and I’m sure there are a lot of people who are conflicted about voting this year and may not be either (not counting down ballot voting). I used to be a registered Independent, thinking that I would get the most information about everyone voting. But what I got, was no information. That was before 24 hour cable news. Actually before any cable news lol. So I am now a registered Democrat, married to a Republican, with children who don’t all vote. It is our right to vote. But I also think it our duty. Perhaps your not voting is your protest vote. Oh – one other thing. For my friends who live outside of the US….I’m sorry! This is so embarrassing to know you are all watching!

You’re right, Barb. This is embarrassing. I have tried so often to imagine walking into a booth and pulling a lever for either one and I can’t do it. I would never admit to voting for either one and I know I’d regret it casting my vote as soon as I walked out. They are both, in their own ways, pathetic candidates.