Releasing My Inner Dragnet

You know the person I’m about to describe.

The one who enjoys talking even when there’s nothing left to talk about.

The one who repeats what there’s nothing left to talk about so they can speak longer about nothing.

The one who sits in a meeting of any type and asks questions that were already answered just so they can feel important and attempt to suck up to whomever in the room has some degree of influence.

The one who goes to a back to school function and asks the teacher a meaningless question because they have a need to introduce and ingratiate themselves to that person and the entire class of parents who just want to move on and get home after a long day.

The one who can turn a thirty-second story into a five-minute ordeal.

The one who doesn’t understand the definition or advantages of brevity.

The one who talks and asks questions during movies.

images-3

I’m a pretty patient person but this type of person gives new meaning to the words cruel and unusual punishment.

If I ask you what time it is, I don’t need to know how the clock or watch was made. I just want the time.

Some people don’t get that simple concept. They begin to tell a story and start taking side trips along the way. So instead of a two-minute journey, we have to endure a ten minute odyssey. By the time they get done, I usually forget what the original story was supposed to be about.

This might sound sacrilegious but I feel the same way in church. We have priests that will use the pulpit as a stage and go on for 20-25 minutes, repeating what they already said in different ways. Do they think I’m oblivious to that little trick?
The flip side to this practice are priests that are very effective and to the point in less than ten minutes.

The same holds true in day-to-day life. I am a strong believer in the concept that less is almost always more.

Whenever I’ve been in meetings where there were more than 3-4 people present, very little got accomplished. Primarily because everyone had their own agenda, no one stayed on topic and I usually walked away thinking I Just wasted an hour, or more, of my day.

images-2

The old saying is that God gave us two ears and one mouth for a reason.

If there is something that needs to be said, by all means get to the point as quickly as possible before I tune you out completely and think about whether continuing to listen to you or sliding bamboo shoots under my nails is a better alternative.

As legendary Detective Sergeant Joe Friday of Dragnet fame said, “Just the facts, ma’am.”

63 thoughts on “Releasing My Inner Dragnet

Amen! I am not patient when the “story” gets bogged down in extraneous details (it was in 2007, no 2008, no must have been 07 because of…..) Who cares when it happened!!!! When my husband gets bogged down I start making a cranking motion with my hand. It works.

2. Anne Mehrling

Oh, gosh! I committed the unpardonable sin this morning. I was making a point to husband and sun at the breakfast table, and I said, “I can’t remember why I started telling you this.” I got lost in my own story. The only excuse I have is old age.

Obviously, I need a plan. What should I do next time? Pretend to choke on something and esxcuse myself from the table? Help!!

We’re actually leaving on Monday. Four nights in Asheville, two in Blowing Rock, one in Mount Airy and one in Bedford/Appomattox. We might add another night somewhere on the way home but I’m not sure.
        I’ll let you know how it goes😊
        I’m open for any suggestions..:)
        Thank you for asking.

2. Fourth Generation Farmgirl

Your itinerary sounds fun. Asheville is lovely. I haven’t been in a while, but I understand there are lots of art galleries, restaurants, shopping, vineyards, and of course, the Biltmore. Mount Airy has a charming, old-fashioned downtown area with antiques stores, an ice cream shop, and Old North State Winery restaurant (not fancy, but good food: salads, hot & cold sandwiches). The wines are decent…certainly not Napa. I’d stick with the whites. 🙂 There is an Andy Griffith Museum there, too. Since you’re so close, I have to mention Primland Resort. It’s about 45 minutes from Mount Airy. If you’re taking Parkway to Bedford, pick up 58 East at Meadows of Dan. The gate to Primland is 8 miles from Meadows of Dan. Primland is one of the top 10 resorts in the country. It’s so quiet and serene. And the views are gorgeous! Great golf course if you all play. The treehouses have amazing views, but the lodge and cabins are very nice, too. Their restaurant, Elements is fantastic. You are also near Chateau Morrisette Winery–mile marker 171 1/2. Again, beautiful views, new chef and food is delicious. Stick with Viognier, Chardonnay Reserve, Petit Verdot, or Archival–if you’re having wine. Their crab cakes, scallops, and beet salad are worth trying. Also, Floyd–an artsy, progressive town is half an hour away. Lots of misuses and artists. Check out Floyd Country Store for bluegrass music performances. Troika Gallery has lovely pottery and hand-made items. OddFellas is good for lunch.
        Appomattox Courthouse is worth a visit, especially if you’re interested in Civil War history. Bedford is in my neck of the woods. It’s a small town with beautiful mountain views. The D-Day Memorial is a MUST SEE. I don’t know if you knew this, but Bedford lost more young men per capita than any other town in the U.S. On D-Day. There’s a book called The Bedford Boys that tells the story. If you can, do a guided tour. It’s really informative. The Peaks of Otter Lodge is popular. For lunch: Town Kitchen (delightful sandwiches with artsy atmosphere) or Azul ( fresh-mex California-style Mexican food). These restaurants are right across street from each other. Also, Goose Creek Art Gallery is nice. For dinner in Bedford, The Bedford Social Club is well-liked. On Wednesdays and Thursdays they have “date night” which is the following: share an appetizer, salad, entree, share a dessert, and a bottle of wine for $ 50. About 40 minutes from Bedford is Roanoke. If your interested in steam engines, The O. Winston Link Museum and Transportation Museum. The 611 steam engine is on display. Roanoke has a wonderful downtown area. My great grandfather used to sell butter, milk, fruits and veg on the farmers’ market. It’s one of the oldest markets in the country. The Roanoke Wiener stand is also an iconic place to eat. A couple of presidents and some famous folks have eaten there. 🙂 There are also art galleries, shops, and restaurants. You may need to add a couple of days to your trip just to eat all of the food I’ve mentioned! 😉 Bedford is about 15 minutes from where I live. We may have been able to coordinate a visit, but I think we may just miss you. We’re going out of town Thursday evening. I hope you all have a fun and safe trip! If I think of anything else I’ll let you know. Hope it wasn’t too much. 😊

Wow…thank you, Tonya. I thought I had an itinerary planned but I may have to add another week to this trip..:)
        Great suggestions for things to see and restaurants. Thanks so much for taking the time to write this all down. I’ll print it out and take it with me. You were much better than the suggestions I received in Trip Advisor. You should start your own site..:)
        Thank you again and enjoy your trip this weekend. 😊

3. Helen Devries

Mother is one hundred years old…she is pithy and to the point and has no patience with the drivellers.
    Lawyers have a bad reputation in this respect but my pupil master told me when I was starting out that if you cannot explain it simply then you do not understand what you are talking about.

i love a good story teller though…some people have the art of carrying you along with them.

You nailed this one! And why is it that those kind of “talkers” are always present on every committee, so that there is no such thing as a short meeting? I’ve always thought that if you ever use the words, “And as I’ve said,” then it’s time to shut up. If you’ve said it once, you don’t need to say it again.
    Also, no sermon should ever be more than ten minutes long. If you need more than that to get your point across, you don’t have one point, you have two. Which means two sermons on two separate Sundays.
    What is most annoying about these kinds of talkers, to me, is that they show no regard for the value of other people’s time. It’s insulting and annoying, so say the least.
    Thanks for this post…can you tell it spoke to me???

Lol…you’re so funny. You must be such fun when you get riled up.
      But your right about committee meetings. Everyone a has a need to get their two cents in, just because.
      I like your thinking on sermons. Now whom do we should speak with to get that resolved?😊

Lol…you’re so funny. You must be such fun when you get riled up.
    But you’re right about committee meetings. Everyone feels they have to one up the other person.
    I love your thinking on sermons. Now whom can we speak with to get that resolved…:)

I admit I’m guilty of getting side tracked when I answer a simple question sometimes. I realize I’m doing it and can’t seem to stop. Once a woman asked me a question and I went on to long and she actually said to me, “and what’s the short answer?”, rather rudely. I was mortified. It’s just how my brain works, but I totally get how annoying it can be for others because my boss does the same thing in meeting or when I ask her questions. Will try to practice brevity.

Lol..it’s funny that you know you’re doing it and can’t stop, Kim. You even see it in your boss.
      What’s also interesting is that your posts are always right to the point. Must be something with the wiring between the written and spoken word😊

7. aginggracefullymyass

“I’m talking to hear my own voice!” I know exactly who you’re talking about… We had a homeowners meeting last week and there are always two or three people who really have nothing substantive to ask, they just want to hear the sound of their own voice. I just roll my eyes…

8. A.PROMPTreply

I find I’m getting more into being the listener as I get older, George. It’s been an eye-opening experience to see how much more I take in and how much less I need to say to get my ideas/point across when I’m ready!

It is funny how each of us has our weaknesses and strengths. I don’t mind long storytelling, as long as the person is cheerful and the details are not repeated more than twice. The Debby Downers or people who see life half empty almost all the time, wear me out.