If Mom And Dad Only Knew

The vocabulary word for they second grade class I had today was Putrid.

We talked about the word as an adjective, how it sounds and the meaning. On the board I wrote, if something is putrid it is rotten and smells awful.

When we were done I asked them to write the word in their journal along with the definition and then use the word putrid in a sentence.

Michael is one of those little boys who’s as cute as can be but can turn you into an alcoholic in a matter of hours. He wrote the following in his journal…

When my mother wakes up in the morning she smells putrid.

I stared at the sentence, then at him, then at the sentence again before asking him why he feels that way. He said, because it’s true, she smells putrid in the morning when she wakes up and looks like an old lady with glasses.

Part of me wanted to explain that it wasn’t a very nice thing to say and part of me wanted to walk away and avoid any additional information about his mom. I chose option B. I walked away. Call me a coward if you like but you weren’t there. You didn’t see the look in his eyes. You don’t know.

Of course when I was done with Michael I walked over to Holden who wrote, my father’s farts smell putrid. I nodded my head and kept on walking but Holden kept following me around saying, you don’t understand, they really do.

It was only 9:15. The day was still young.

61 thoughts on “If Mom And Dad Only Knew

1. Nancy

That is a word that can go wrong in so many ways. If it were the kids in my class, I’m pretty sure at least one of them would have written a sentence about the “Walking Dead”…

2. colinandray

Whereas I smile at jokes, anecdotes etc quite freely, it takes a very special combination of factors to make me laugh to the point where I have tears. It really does not happen that often (and certainly not often enough), but your Grade 2 class story achieved that state. Thank you so much! Loved it! 🙂

Well, I’m laughing at the fact that you laughed as hard as you did and enjoyed it so much. I’ll pass along your thanks to Michael and Holden the next time I see them..) thank you for reading and commenting..:)

3. Carrie Rubin

Haha! What a great way to end my night. So funny. Thanks for the laugh-out-loud, and like DomesticatedMomster says, it makes me wonder what my kids said about ME when they were little.

The word putrid is such an unappealing word- is it because I know its meaning and make the association? Or does it sound like what it means? I don’t know. But having to teach its meaning to 2nd grade boys could only spell disaster in my book 🙂 Too funny really

5. A.PROMPTreply

Oh my, George. You really do end up in it, don’t you? I think I would’ve walked away too…..though I think I might have walked away before I went anywhere near that word in a class of second graders.

I know. Part of me knew it was going to be dicey but part of me was curious also. Curiosity won out. Then again, I was just following the lesson plans for the day..:)

Oh my gosh this was funny. You did the right thing biting your tongue. It’s important that he be able to express himself in writing in a safe setting without being judged or admonished. His mom probably just needs to brush her teeth.

7. JSD

Oh, out of the mouths of babes….this is hysterical. Please let us know what feedback you may get from the parents who happen to read these, okay?

Anyone who says teachers are overpaid has never spent even one second in a classroom! Hilarious story, and I think you handled the situation very well. Also, I’m impressed that “putrid” is a vocabulary word for second-graders. I know our words weren’t that difficult when I was in second grade!

I was surprised by the word also but I was secretly hoping someone would come up with something interesting. They didn’t disappoint..:)

9. roughwighting

Ive always been astounded at the bravery of anyone who teaches 2nd grade. And now that I spend a lot of time with a 2nd grader (my granddaughter) I’m beyond astounded. It’s that combination of innocence and yet brilliant unfettered wit that gets me all the time as I listen to Sophie. You show it beautifully here!!

1. roughwighting

My daughter is a 6th grade science teacher. She regales us with some amazing stories. The best ones are those of wonder and innocence; the hardest ones are about the kids who are growing up too fast.

Ahhh children, the great unfiltered masses. George, although this may not be for the faint of heart, I see you becoming the next Art Linkletter and hosting a new version of “Kids Say The Darndest Things.” Of course, I’ve also been known to drink a lot and make outlandish predictions. But, once I’m out of the institution I’ll be available for consultation. Hey, I could even be your new agent and line up Michael and Holden as two of your first guest! 😀

11. Miriam

Thanks for making me smile George just before I go off to bed. I wonder what my kids ever said about me when they were little. On the other hand, maybe I don’t want to know … 🙂

12. elkelorraine

Maybe the key is to give them sentence making as homework. Maybe this cute little boy wouldn’t have written about the putrid smells emanating from him mother if his mother was there checking his homework. Or maybe you are a second grade genius, giving these poor souls a safe haven to speak up. But we know that both those kids were telling the truth.

I’m sure if that word was homework the sentence would have been a little different..:) I think all parents would be mortified about the secrets little ones spill out in school to whomever listens…:)