Joaquin’s The Man

A lot of people claim to be THE MAN or THE WOMAN, but only Joaquin delivers on that promise.

Why?

Because Joaquin Garcia didn’t show up for work for six years and still got paid.

Why?

Because no one noticed.

He wasn’t sick or recuperating or out of the country or building homes for Habitat or working on a cure for American politics, or creating new recipes we can all enjoy.

Nope, he did none of those things. He just showed up for work one day, realized there was nothing to do in his private office, which was to supervise the construction of water treatment plants in Cadiz, Spain, and never went back again.

For. Six. Years.

Unknown.jpeg

The only reason he got caught is that the Deputy Major wanted to give him a plaque for 20 years of loyal service but couldn’t find him anywhere.

His penalty? The most the Spanish government can do, by law, is fine him 30,000 dollars, which he’s fighting because he claims he didn’t do anything wrong. Imagine the pineapples on this guy. He collected a salary of 42,000 for six years and refuses to pay back a fraction of it. Then again he didn’t show up for work for six years so his attitude shouldn’t surprise anyone.

What did Joaquin do during those six years he was supposed to be working? Well, friends say he dedicated himself to reading books about philosophy.

Yeah, I know. But that’s a whole different post.

Funny thing is, after reading about this, I realized I’ve worked with too many people in my life who did nothing and still collected a salary. But they had to at least show up for work.

That’s why, philosophically speaking,  Joaquin Garcia will always remain, THE MAN.

53 thoughts on “Joaquin’s The Man

It usually does but he made out pretty well on this gig. Picketed a quarter of a million and had to only pay back 30 with no jail time. That’s crazy.

1. GirlAstray

Funny 🙂 I think the problem is not that much him not showing up for work; but that he was employed and there was actually NO WORK for him to do…public money is always the easiest to spend, right?

2. sportsattitudes

I saw this story and originally felt the guy should get the plaque anyway for if nothing else as you referred to them, his “pineapples.” That was certainly one private office he was assigned. I can only assume lessons will be learned going forward about checking on employee attendance but there’s no checking necessary to determine who THE MAN is in this case! A job well…done.

Can’t say I admire the man, but I have to admire his nerve! And here I always thought that finding a job that paid me well for doing absolutely nothing..not even showing up…was just a dream! LOL!

I heard this on the news and am sorry to say I was not surprised.I assume he knew no one was checking up and he took full advantage of it. A sad commentary on the ethics and morals of some people

5. Helen Devries

A case came to light recently of a man who’d been suspended by the French Railways…SNCF…for some twelve years…on full pay. Sounds as if SNCF have the same attitude as this chap’s employers – he’s on the payroll…pay him.

6. jan

I’ve had jobs that amounted to almost doing nothing because the company would change directions and six months of work would be down the drain – very frustrating!

7. Nancy

This is a new one. I do, however, know several people whose body shows up at work but their brain stays home. As you say, that’s another story entirely.

8. Pistachios

This is hilarious and sad at the same time. I’m gonna show this to my friend who works at a waste water treatment plant. Maybe I should check if they have any jobs going 😛

9. Flop til you drop "FTYD"

In each company, you have the workers, and the ones that don’t work. The ones that don’t work, are friends with upper management and execs. They are favored, as if they work extremely hard. Then, the worker person, who is already over-loaded making all the crap happen or fixing the errors of the -non-worker, are then hit with another project because the non-worker is busy with another project vs the 3 big ones on your desk (all with the same due date)… and that one project they have had on the desk forever and would have been completed by the hard worker in a day is deemed too much. So the hard worker is rewarded with more work so the non-worker, can hang out and enjoy the day a little more and work at their leisure. Then, the execs pull the hard worker into their office to scold them for being “short” with everyone because of all the stress they are under… and told to be more like the non-worker – all smiles like Fantasy Island, but to keep working hard…and by the way, what are you working on…can you do this for me too?

Can you guess which one I am?