Its Almost Time For Some Mischief

I’m sorry if I offend some of you with this statement, but I’m not a fan of Halloween. For me, it’s just an annoyance, sort of like having a stone in my shoe for several weeks leading up to it. But I have a valid reason for not liking Halloween. Catholic school nuns. They scarred me for life. When they got done with me I had no chance of ever enjoying the holiday.

Unknown

You see, I went to Catholic grammar school and high school but it was in grammar school that the real damage took place. On Halloween, everyone had to dress up as their patron saint. So while all my public school friends dressed up in their costume of choice on Halloween, I had to dress up as Saint George. I’d like to tell you that it was a simple costume but I had a little old Italian aunt who was not only very religious, but she sewed. She also had several little old italian women friends who sewed and who viewed this creative event as a calling from God.
You haven’t really lived until you are forced to stand on a chair with three or four old women surrounding you with pins, scissors and fabric. It’s a frightening experience. Needless to say, my St George outfit was pretty detailed, and heavy, and embarrassing, especially when we had to parade outside for our families and the entire surrounding neighborhood.  This is pretty much what my costume looked like minus the horse and dragon.

images

Thank you for feeling my pain.

The result of this humiliation was rebellion. Now I don’t want to give you the wrong impression. I was a good kid growing up. I never gave my parents any problems or got into trouble. I was a boy scout, an altar boy and was respectful to almost everyone.

Almost.

But two things happen to intersect when I was ten or twelve years old. Cranky neighbors and mischief night. Now I didn’t know until recently that only the state of New Jersey refers to the night before Halloween as mischief night. A few other areas of the country call it goosey night or something else but most don’t refer to it as anything at all. Where I come from it’s a night for kids to get even.

You see, I had a couple of neighbors who just didn’t like kids. When I grew up, playing ball on the street happened everyday. Whether it was stickball, football, basketball, punchball or kickball, it was our neighborhood and many times our parents would come out and play with us. But there were a couple of neighbors who were just….well, you know who they are. Everyone has one or two. We had two, one on each end of the street. They would call the cops on a regular basis. The cops would come and try to reason with them and explain that we weren’t really doing anything wrong. We weren’t damaging property or playing late at night or creating a disturbance. But it didn’t stop these people. They just continued to call.

Then mischief night came along. I think I read somewhere that the definition of mischief night is when a group of juveniles get together to cause property damage. I suppose that’s a fair statement, and though I never considered myself to be a juvenile in a West Side Story kind of way, I sort of like the label. Cause when you’re a Jet you’re a Jet, right?

Nowadays this is an example of mischief night.

timthumb.php

A little toilet paper thrown over trees and lawns.

Yeah, I didn’t do that. My mischief was a little more difficult to clean up. It just so happened that my mother and father owned a little grocery store. As a result, I had access to lots of eggs and tomatoes. So lets just say that the next morning someone had to pull out their power washer in order to clean up the mess created by angry Saint George. Oh, that’s right, power washers didn’t exist fifty years ago. Oh well.
There was one other thing I used. Wax. You see most kids would take a bar of soap and write on car windows. But soap is easy to wash off. Wax, on the other hand requires a straight edge razor in order to scrape it off. If all your windows were covered in wax, it’s safe to say you’d be late for work the next morning.

So that’s my confession. There was a little thing I did to someone especially annoying that included a bag of dog droppings placed on his concrete steps and set on fire as I rang the doorbell. It was fun to see him stomp it out with his foot but we don’t have to talk about that now. It’ll be Halloween soon, and mischief night is right around the corner.

You didn’t irritate any juveniles this past year, did you?

66 thoughts on “Its Almost Time For Some Mischief

1. candidkay

Oh, George. I can’t help but laugh:). I had to dress up every All Saints Day as a nun, because of my patron saint. But that was early Nov., not Halloween. I can’t believe they took the fun out of goblins and ghouls for you! Maybe you should dress up this year as you hand out candy . . .

2. Jodi

Oh dear St. George – how about a picture?! 🙂 In PA, we call it “Devil’s Night,” and back in the day did our fair share of egg-tossing, window soaping, and toilet paper wrapping…. When I was very young, we went “tick-tacking.” That is when you got dried Indian corn and through it at people’s doors and windows and made a ticky tacky noise and ran away to leave people guessing. All in good fun as I recall the memories.

George! I am shocked! You seemed like such a good boy…
    It was never (and still isn’t) a big thing in my neck of the woods. Lucky me, though Catholic, I went to a Protestant school (we only had one English one so…)

Oh, I dunno, George. I am more of a rule follower and any mischief I do, I do to myself. I hate having tricks pulled on me so I don’t do them to others…. Mick found out the hard way!

4. A.PROMPTreply

Well, at least you had a cool saint if you had to dress up….though, I can and do feel your pain. I think a little nonsense was probably in order for those neighbours….I’ve found you to be quite fair and reasonable in your judgements of issues! So there. I’ve given you a pardon for your past deeds!

Lol…thank you so much. I’ve waited a long time for any kind of pardon. I’m glad you viewed the facts and made a fair decision. I’ll sleep better tonight than I have in years…:)

5. Carol Ferenc

Kids will be kids, George, but you? I’m a little surprised. Well, I guess you were justified after the whole Saint George costume thing and I do feel your pain. And your little old Italian aunt? I’m sure she was doing it out of love.

Out of love for sure and yes, I guess what I did went against the grain for me but it’s always fun to surprise people every now and then. I love practical jokes and getting even in a fun way when no one really knows who did what is even better…:)

6. Tessa

What a laugh. I know all those things although I never participated in mischief night. they even tried curfews. Kids still managed to make a mess. At least we weren’t the bad family in the area.

Oh my…the revenge of a scorned George.😈 👿 👹 👺 We never had to dress as saints…horrifying. Our nuns instilled a lot of other horrors and fears, but not so much at Halloween. Our mischief night was throwing corn kernels, usually taken from local farm fields. Seems pretty harmless in retrospect. ☺

This is the first I have heard of mischief night, but it sounds as if you and your friends had a lot of fun with it! And every neighborhood has a few people who just naturally set themselves up for that sort of thing, doesn’t it? No one can be good all the time. And you were more than patient with the St. George costume…..that made me laugh out loud!

9. Diana Taglianetti

I went to Catholic school for 12 years and we were never allowed to dress up. Saint or otherwise. So consider yourself a little lucky. And, by the way, it’s called Mischief Night in Philadelphia, too.

Hi Diana,
      I think back then I would have preferred not dressing up to having to be dressed as a warrior saint..:)
      I thought it might be called Mischief night in Philly since you’re so close. An article I read recently surprised me. I thought the whole country called it the same.
      I’m looking forward to tomorrow night😊

IN our neck of the NJ woods we called the night before Halloween Cabbage Night. Why I have no idea. I remember the egg throwing, but never heard of using wax- oh boy!! Quite a costume George-I did feel your pain and understood the mischief too!

11. fillyourownglass

I am, I must admit, happily surprised by this mischievous side of you! I loved Mischief Night and Halloween in NJ, though unlike you I am not quite ready for my confession just yet. I’m sorry you had the fun sucked out of Halloween. I could not believe it when I moved south and discovered there was no Mischief Night. It may be just as well, though, as at my age I’d be a target rather than a targeter. 😉

That’s funny…so many people, after reading this post, have said the same thing, that they were surprised based on their perception of me on here. Boy would they be shocked…:) I have an irreverent sense of humor and I love practical jokes. People who know me would laugh at how I’m perceived on here..:) So I guess I’ve fooled everyone without even trying to..:) now I just gave to figure out what it is I’m doing..:)
      Now, I expect that confession soon. It’s time to fess up, Karen..:) Jersey girls don’t hide..:)