Another Trip Around The Sun

I have reached an age when, if someone tells me to wear socks, I don’t have to.
Albert Einstein

They tell me I turned 64 today. That’s what they tell me, though I don’t necessarily believe everyone is being completely honest with me. I had relatives who were 64. Those people were old and I’m pretty sure I don’t act like they did or look like them or walk like them. Well, maybe occasionally I walk a little funny. But hey, I see 20 year old’s moving a little gingerly at times so forgive me if, after playing a game or two of basketball against those “kids”, I get out of the chair a little more slowly than I did earlier in the day. Some things just need time to correct themselves.

In fact, looking back, it seems to me I was clueless until I was about 50 years old.
Nora Ephron

If, in fact, I am this age that people are singing about, I don’t know where it came from, when it happened or what it means. I know I celebrated some birthdays in the past. I remember being a little depressed when I turned 30 because, well, I turned 30. The only other time a birthday bothered me was when they told me I turned 50, only because old people turn 50. At least that what I used to think. But 50 just happened the other day, that’s why I think this 64 thing is just some practical joke. Because if the people who tolerate my childish ways are trying to convince me that 34 years have passed since I was a depressed 30 year old, then I’m in serious trouble. That means that 98 is right around the corner.

How is that possible? I can give you detailed information about the stickball game I played when I was ten or the people we got even with on mischief night when I was 12. I could even tell you how I cheated on my alphabet test when I was five years old in kindergarten; and you’re trying to push 64 on me? Sorry, I’m not buying into it. I’m just going to keep doing what I’ve always been doing, thinking the way I’ve always thought and trying hard to fight this dirty word people refer to as maturity. And I’m going to listen closely to Woody Allen when he said…

You can live to be 100 if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be 100.
Woody Allen

So I guess I’ll never reach the triple digit celebration, because I’m not going to sacrifice all the things I enjoy just so someone can smile at me as they’re wiping the cake off my face and taking a picture for the local newspaper. But I have 60 years to worry about whether that party will happen.

What?

No, the calculation is correct. This isn’t the math you learned in school. This is called birthday math. It’s a little different. If you need a lesson, let me know but my guess is you’ll understand it sooner than you like.

So if you’ll excuse me, I have to go and blow out the candles before the smoke alarms go off. Seems like everyone turns into a comedian on my birthday.

Beautiful young people are accidents of nature but beautiful old people are works of art.
Eleanor Roosevelt

49 thoughts on “Another Trip Around The Sun

1. uju

Happy birthday!!!! 😀 I don’t know what 64yrs old sound like, but you’d pass for 40 if you hadn’t mentioned it. Many happy years ahead, George.
    I’d like to kiss your cheek 🙂

Happy Birthday and I so get it!! When I turned 50 I couldn’t believe it- I kept telling my friends that was how old my parents were- not ME!! The numbers are crazy and you know 60 is the new 40 so enjoy! It’s a state of mind 🙂

I remember when we said things like “Don’t trust anyone over 30”. Now it seems like 30 year old folks are just babes in the woods, struggling to figure out a few things about life. Perspective. Comes with the over-50 set. Happy Birthday to you, George.💕 Many happy years of successful blogging is what I wish for you today. ☺

I remember Al Pacino saying something like people who become 40 are middle aged, and he felt that 30 was more like middle age as he didn’t know too many people who made 80. That might be more in line with what you said, George. All I know is; when you start to realize that you have more years behind you than what you have in front of you, you best get on with the business of living before those years in front of you run out. At 61, I’m feeling like getting busy as times a wasting. ;o)

I know what you mean, Paul. I keep thinking of the line from Shawshank..
      There are so many things I still want to do and see and its a strange feeling knowing you may not get to everything. So I need to move more quickly..:)

5. davidprosser

Ah, you’ve caught up with me George, well done. Penblwydd Hapus! Don’t worry too much, we’re the new 64, the more streamlined model who don’t look or act old until we’re 90.
    Hugs

Happy Birthday! And I love this post It captures just how bewildering it is to have the numbers on your birthday cake tell you that you’re getting old, when inside, you still feel as young as ever! And I do believe that age is relative…

7. aFrankAngle

Well … I’m way late for the party … but hey … I hope you had a wonderful birthday. Do I wish I was younger? Nope – I wouldn’t want to be that stupid again.

I liked the idea of birthday ages not being calculated the same as normal days. I couldn’t resist responding to this as it had a link below the current post. Smiles, Robin
    I know you’ll make it up in years and hope you will enjoy your 100th.