Anticipation Or Surprise?

I enjoy the fun of anticipation and surprise, as long as the end result is something I’m looking forward to experiencing.

As an example, surprising me with a skydiving gift when I have a fear of heights and knowing the jump would probably kill me, is not on the top of my bucket list.

Unknown-1

Also, the anticipation of having root canal is near the back of the concert hall in terms of experiences.

images-1Now that we’re clear, lets move on.

I like surprises. I think they’re fun and creative and gives everyone an opportunity to watch you stare into space with your mouth open for a period of time, as your mind races with the appropriateness of how you should respond to this unexpected pleasure.

Unknown

Trips, parties and gifts can all be lumped in this category. Sometimes I think the person giving the surprise is more excited than the person receiving it. There is anticipation for the giver in arranging the surprise and seeing the expression on the face of the person receiving it.

And that’s my point. Anticipation.

Because while I really like surprises, I love anticipation. There is a different kind of excitement when you know you’re going to be doing something in a month, a week, a day, or an hour, that heightens the enjoyment of it all.
When I go on a trip, part of the pleasure is planning it, speaking to friends and family about it, imagining what it might be like, reading stories, looking at pictures and sharing that excitement with the people with whom you’ll be traveling. If someone gave you a trip as a surprise, while you would still enjoy it very much, you will have missed all those moments of anticipation and excitement that the other person felt.

imagesI think that holds true for adults as well as children, because regardless of our age, we are all children when it come to anticipating something special.

Please don’t misunderstand, I’m not suggesting that surprises are a bad thing, I’m just saying that if I had a chance to have a dish of ice cream, I’d rather have a dish of ice cream with strawberries and hot fudge rather than just plain.

And I’d love to know in advance that I was going. That way I could smile like the child in the picture above, for as many days or hours or minutes that it took to get there.

But that’s just me.

How about you?

26 thoughts on “Anticipation Or Surprise?

1. Jennifer's Journal

I love the feeling of anticipation, but I’m not a big fan of certain surprises. I would hate for anyone to throw me a surprise party, for example. But i would like to be surprised by winning something big one day!

2. Mindy

I definitely enjoy anticipation more so than surprise. I enjoy surprises but I’m always so excited to see other people’s reactions!

3. A.PROMPTreply

Anticipation is definitely my favourite part of anything! I love doing trip planning, etc. For me, it’s the best part of the experience! (Also very much with you on the fear of heights!)

As one who has been surprised for birthdays way more than is necessary (gullible, much?) I admit that the anticipation of preparing for something far outweighs it. Especially with someone like Mick doing the preparation. He was the biggest friggen kid and it took everything in his power to not spoil it. Almost more fun watching him squirm in his seat than anything else. Gonna miss that!

5. joylovestravel

Planning and anticipating a trip is almost the best part for me. Agree with the comments above too though George – anticipation of flying makes me ill and I could think of nothing worse than someone throwing me a surprise party!!

6. DomesticatedMomster

I personally hate surprises. I discovered this when my friends decided to throw me a surprise birthday party about 7 years back. I had just started dating my husband and of course they had to include him in on the “plan”. Well before hand he took me to a friend of his house (who also was in on the plan). That friend proceeded to pour me shots saying it was my birthday and that there was no saying no. Upon showing up to the establishment that I thought we were going to for “before birthday dinner drinks” as I walked my “almost drunk” ass through the door that’s when 50 people yelled “SURPRISE!”. Nothing like having to greet and talk to people when you are already half shit faced. Never again….never again….I made my husband promise me!

7. Flop til you drop "FTYD"

George- you are cute! I love your outlook. I’ve gone on sites and purchased “experiences” for my husband. One of them was paragliding- he was scared, but loved it. Another time, I was building up the anticipation and he was like relieved when he found out it was to DIG THIS in Vegas where they get to use a bull dozer or some other big piece of moving equipment and dig holes and play games. He said “Oh, thank you- I was afraid you got me a tandum jump out of an airplane and I wasn’t sure if I could do that.” 🙂 Hahahaha!

Lol…so you’re one of those people. Your husband must be a very good sport and enjoy your surprises. You aren’t considering purchasing a jump from a plane for him are you?…:)

8. kidsandlifeafter40

This post made me laugh! Surprises, for me, mess with my inner control freak. I need to be the one who plans. If I am truly honest? Surprises annoy me. But…the control freak part of me loves planning and anticipating the outcome of my plans. Basically, I am the ultimate fun sucker.

Lol…I’m like you. I prefer to plan rather than be surprised. Besides, there’s something to be said for anticipating a special event, trip, etc.