I Don’t Want To See The Faces Anymore

I’m tired of having the faces put up on a screen in front me by people looking for sensationalized ratings; faces that have taken so many innocent lives, who have been turned into fifteen minute celebrities at the expense of faces that will never be shown, lives that will never be discussed and futures that will never be realized.

I don’t want to see the Columbine shooters who killed 13 students and injured 24.

I don’t want to see the Virginia Tech shooter who killed 32 students.

I don’t want to see the Northern Illinois University shooter who killed five and injured 16 more.

I don’t want to see the Fort Hood shooters who killed a total of 16 and injured 48 more.

I don’t want to see the Salt Lake City or Omaha shopping mall shooters who killed 13 and injured eight.

I don’t want to see the Aurora Movie Theatre shooter who killed 12 and injured 58.

I don’t want to see the Oklahoma City bomber who killed 168 and injured another 600.

I don’t want to see the beltway snipers who killed 10 people.

I don’t want to see the Washington Navy Yard shooter who killed 13 people.

I don’t want to see the faces of the terrorists involved in the 9/11 attacks that killed nearly 3000 people.

I don’t want to see the brothers who killed 3 and injured 264 at the Boston Marathon bombing.

I don’t want to see the faces of those who’ve walked into places of business and killed countless co-workers.

I don’t want to see the faces of significant others who have killed their partners and have become sensationalized celebrities.

I don’t want to see the Sandy Hook shooter who murdered 26 innocent children and teachers.

I don’t even want their names mentioned.

I’m tired of having these people live on notoriously through countless news stories. Quite frankly, I don’t care who they are, what their back story is, where they live, who their second grade teacher was, how shocked their friends are, what job they lost, if they were bullied in grade school, why their significant other dumped them, if they came from a privileged life or struggled financially. I don’t want to know about those things or see those faces. I don’t want to possibly encourage someone else that may be looking for the same distorted notoriety.

You know what I’d like to see? The faces of the people who have the guts to make changes to the mental health care and gun control issues that have fueled many of these crimes. But they’re nowhere to be seen. They’re hiding under the cloaks of special interest groups and votes.

Quite honestly, I’ve lost all hope of change. If the mental image of 20, six-year-old children, being slaughtered with an assault rifle as they sat in a first grade classroom doesn’t encourage us to do something, I don’t believe anything will.

Just don’t show me the faces of the sick cowards who committed these crimes under the guise of need to know information when we all understand it’s really a ratings grab. I’m done with that parade.

37 thoughts on “I Don’t Want To See The Faces Anymore

1. uju

It’s all about the ratings…
    It’s probably also about people wanting to see chaos, it’s the one thing that has succeeded in making people break the mute barrier (?)
    Oh I don’t know. If we were more obsessed about heroes in our world today, people will try to be just that. But we just have to celebrate the wrong things, and call it “inside peek into the life of….”

God help us.

You’re absolutely right. We always say how terrible something is but we crane our necks and slow down to see the accident. This is no different. They feed the public what they know the public is hungry for.
      God help us all, for sure.

I’ve been saying this for years. Stop giving these killers their 15 minutes of fame. Focus on the survivors and the ones who are out there spreading love instead of hate. Well said, George!

Thank you. I think many of us feel the same way but we seem to be the silent majority. You’re right, the victims are always lost in these tragedies. So sad.

As long as people buy the trash magazines and watch the images shown ad nauseum on TV of the negative events, they will keep publishing them… So sad indeed!

3. marymtf

We have to analyse the perpetrators’ motives and read about the tough childhood that led to their criminal behaviour. The focus is never on the victims or their devastated families, is it?

My blog is all about making people smile, and I work very hard at it. However, there is no reason to smile when people who destroy the lives of others, get notoriety for such terrible acts of violence that rob so many others, of smiles they’ll miss forever. I love your stance George.

Thank you, Paul. Like you I like to focus on the humorously strange happenings in our lives but sometimes I just need to vent about things that seem unfair. In part, it’s why I started blogging a few months ago. Thank you for your thoughts and for stopping by. It’s very much appreciated.

5. pattyalcala

I do so agree! But I want to add one more face that I don’t want anyone to see or his name to be heard that deliberately managed to jam his truck onto a railroad track, pour gas all over the inside and outside of the vehicle, run down the road to watch as a Metrolink sped down the tracks in the dark of a dewy morning, unable to brake when he finally saw a light and ran into the bomb that he had created, throw that train onto the opposite track then run into that train killing eleven people and injuring 200. My husband was killed that day in Glendale, CA on January 26, 2005.

I am so sorry for your loss, Patty. I don’t blame you for not wanting his name or face posted anywhere. Why should he receive “glory” for what he did. I dream of the day when how news is covered is changed. I know, I dream in Technicolor…

6. SD Gates

Oh!!! I so totally agree. This is why I don’t watch the news, it is ridiculous. It is a shame they don’t glorify people that are doing something good, nurses, physicians, paramedics, teachers, police, firefighters, etc. – people that work everyday to make society a better place. My husband always says that the world has become such an awful place these days. I say it hasn’t changed, for the better or the worse, it is just that we are bombarded with every gruesome event and detail, over and over again. When I was a kid, the news came on at 6PM, Walter Kronkite who told you the most important news and that was it. Nothing has changed, it is just too much info, all the time. Thanks for the great post. I’m glad galesmind reblogged it.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this. I agree with you, the world of 24 hour news and social media has magnified everything. There has always been evil in the world, we just never heard about it as much or as often as we do now. Thanks again.

7. pensitivity101

It’s bad enough when it happens, but to have it rammed down your throat 24/7 for weeks after the event, the analysis, the reasons, their friends’ comments etc shows no respect or compassion for the families of those lost. I’m with you all the way here.

8. 61chrissterry

I agree with all that is being said, but unfortunately the media and those responsible for its publication believe that bad news sells in the manys ways it can be slanted and therefore makes profits for them. While they believe goods news only has a limited period for peoples interest and therefore they believe as only a limited scope for profit.

Only the public can disprove this belief by not purchasing the media publications, which will hit their profits.

9. davidprosser

The focus often does seem to be in grabbing headlines with someone’s new ‘scoop’ on the life of the killers instead of the lives of those taken before their time.Maybe if we started showing the victims in terms of what they may have become like the one who would be a doctor or a researcher who may have discovered the cure for cancer or the one who may have become a top author.
    The world loses more than just lives when the atrocities happen, they lose futures too which could have benefutted so many more had they gone on to achieve their potential .
    The worst part of this is the cult that often forms around the killers which brings more killers out of the woodwork who will do anything for the notoriety they see their heroes achieve. The focus must be moved away from them.